RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have had the ZR-7 for about 18months now but have noticed a small problem. The bike has been hibinating for the winter just coming out once a month for a warm-up blat. The last time out and yesterday the gearchange was very sticky, not returning to level after pushing down to change gear. It did get better as the bike warmed up.

The gear linkage joints seam loose enough and I plan to stip and check them before doing a major dissassembling but I was curious if any of you had seen a similar problem ?

-- Gannett

·
Registered
373 Posts
STOP!

Do Not Grease anything!

When was your last change? I had the same problem when I began riding my bike again after it sat for a few months. I referenced the same thread that Andy mentioned. That is not your problem. The problem is the clutch thingy that engages and disengages the plate is gunked up with old oil. That is what the mechanic told me when I limped my bike in for service. All that is required is an oil changed. Especially, if this will only be your second or third change (parts are still breaking in).

See your dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Both suggesions look relevant. Greasing the link and an oil/Filter change. Any excuse fo a bit of workshop time !

Will let you know which makes the most difference on this occasion.

Cheers

Gannett

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
They LC, you said "thingy." Ha Ha:laugh:

Best advice, though, change that oil. Hey has anyone ever used anykind of oil flush in this situation ? Sounds like a bad idea, but who knows ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Med,

"Thingy" just happens to be a technical term. :D

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Oh how I hate to be the guy who's always right ! Sorry, but I must correct your spelling mistake. The word is spelled "technicaley." As in, "Thingy is a technicaley term most used to decribe an obscure enginey part."
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Med,

Are you trying to start a feud with me?:D Where did you learn to spell?:laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grease link or Oil change

Well I spent a happy hour grubbing round in the garage floor yesterday and can now confirm which of the two recomendations
solved the Sticky gearchange problem for me.

Grease link or Oil change ?

First I took off the gear change linkage by
Dinging a mark to remember the gear box spline shaft alignment
Loosen/ remove pinch bolt at gearbox spline shaft end
Remove Chrome Hex head bolt at Foot end
Tease off the linkage.
Clean and grease all joints esp the chrome hex head bolt that acts as the pivot.

It all felt quite loose. And went back on easilly.
The sticky gear change persisted by remaining down after being pushed for a downshift.

Next warmed up bike and changed the oil and filter for New filter and Castrol Semi-Syntetic oil. Covering the exhaust pipe with tin foil was a good tip to save mess and burns.

Ran bike around and it was changing sweetly. As the problem mostly happed when the bike was stone cold I will know for certain another day if it is fixed for good.

So as far as I can tell the oil change fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hah! :D I knew it! Who's da man ooee, ooee; Who's da man ooee, ooee...........-Dancin' around like Med on crack- :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No offense Andy........told u so, told u so, naaahh na na naaaahhh na..........:laugh: :laugh:

Glad everything worked out for you Gannett:angel:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Sorry Tony, but Luvchild is right. The phrase "Thingy is a technically terms used to describe....." is not proper grammar. His original "Thingy is a techinical term" makes proper grammatical sense, despite using the the word "thingy". Oh, and where DID you learn to spell? "Technically" is technically spelled "technically".

Thank you. Lesson over.

Emrah

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dude you are messin' with my mojo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a sticky thingy in my gear change too

hi everyone, i am a newbie, and i would appreciate some advice about my new bike,

i saved up and bought a ZR 7, second hand, 8500km on the clock, blood red, goes like a rocket ship, of course.

but i got a sticky gear change too. it doesnt happen very often.

when it does happen, it is usually when shifting down. the gear lever sometimes actually stays down and doesnt return back to the level.

i noticed the advice some of you gave to someone with a similar problem.

my question is, does the oil change fix the problem, because the bike has a 3 month warranty on it, and if there is anything else that it could be, i would like to be 'armed' with your knowledge before i take it back to the shop and get the mechanic to investigate it?

just as well I kept my trusty old 223cc yamaha XT

longboard rider :mecry:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Longboard
I had the sticky gear problem and lubing the change shaft cured it. I think that the oil change is required if the bike stands in old oil for long periods.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,134 Posts
No, an oil change is not going to fix the shifter sticking. The countershaft sprocket cover is going to need to come off and the cover and shift shaft be cleaned and lubed. You'll notice much slicker shifting afterwards.
It never hurts to do an oil change if you dont know when it was last done.
Nasty oil can cause rough shifting but not make the lever stick.

And :welcome:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True. I also eventually lubed the shaft where it passes though the chain sprocket casing and that permenantly fixed the lever not returning to rest problem. The oil change turned out to only be a temp fix for me.

Gannett

1 - 16 of 16 Posts