RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my gas cap is really sticky when I attempt to turn the key and when trying to push the cap back in and seal the tank. Now my ignition was having a little stickiness too so I bought some powdered graphite, fixed it right up. I know the gas tank is sweating and the vapor is coming up through the two tabs that hold the cap on as well as the tab springs, as well as the tumbler and key hole itself.
How do I know? Because I can physically see the sweat under the little tab dohickey that covers the keyhole.

I could dust some graphite down the keyhole and that would likely fix it up (the tumblers and springs) as long as it doesn't make paste with the vapor/sweat, but what about the tabs for the cap and it's springs, I really don't want graphite in my gas tank!

Note: I never store the bike with less than 1/2-3/4 a tank of gas.

Anyway-what to do?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used liquid wrench dry lubricant and that worked, I had oxidation on my lock and it worked. As I figured it would get worse I changed out the cap to a vector v3 gas cap, no lock so no worries

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Honestly, I doubt that the amount of graphite powder, used judiciously, would even enter your tank let alone cause any problems. Alternatively use a cotton bud and some grease/petroleum jelly to lube those parts....or even RP7...(don't use RP7 or any 'wet' lubricant for your ignition/fuel cap lock - just for the moving parts).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2Hyper- I knew someone else had commented in a thread about this problem. I really don't want to change out the cap for an aftermarket. I wonder why only a couple of cases out of all of these bikes? It is humid in Arkansas, but I can't imagine it's any worse than say....the Philippines.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Now my ignition was having a little stickiness too so I bought some powdered graphite, fixed it right up.
I don't like graphite lubes for automotive applications because..............
If you get it into the electrical part of the ignition switch, it can short it out.
If you get it into the gas it can plug up filters or injectors.
I think a silicone spray lube is better in both of the applications you mentioned; MUCH less likely to cause trouble.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the odds I put it directly int the lock tumbler and it goes right out the bottom? Pretty good?

I just filled up and squeezed the little tabs, they seem to move pretty easily, but the key tumbler seems stiff.

I'm not disregarding any suggestions I'm just trying to come up with the actual problem and possible solutions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know why it happened to mine, it's parked outside in the summer. Teflon lubricant works but you have to add lubricant on a regular basis especially if it spends its time out in the rain.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
What are the odds I put it directly int the lock tumbler and it goes right out the bottom? Pretty good?
Sure some of it but the tumblers stick out far enough to snag plenty as it flows by.
And inserting the key a few times should finish the job.

A couple of drops of lube in there should be part of your routine maintenance. (all locks)

If you are really worried about using too much, put a couple of drops on the KEY and then insert it a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
2Hyper- I knew someone else had commented in a thread about this problem. I really don't want to change out the cap for an aftermarket. I wonder why only a couple of cases out of all of these bikes? It is humid in Arkansas, but I can't imagine it's any worse than say....the Philippines.
I am actually having the same problem with my ignition switch - key is sticking when I try to withdraw it from "Lock". Need to find some kind of lube as i have recently read that graphite is not good for ignition switches...learn something new every day...maybe the silicon suggestion is the go.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've used WD-40 brand silicone lubricant on both the gas tank lock and ignition with great success. Apply a bit on the key work it in the tumblers a half dozen times and all fixed. Reapply as needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and keep my bike outside. I find I have to lube the gas tank lock and ignition with a silicone lubricant monthly to prevent sticking...more frequently if it rains.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and keep my bike outside. I find I have to lube the gas tank lock and ignition with a silicone lubricant monthly to prevent sticking...more frequently if it rains.
Interesting - my bike is parked outside under a cover and it has been raining at night for the last 4 nights and yesterday my ignition was really tight...I'm glad LeanIt posted this thread - thanks to all for advice.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
We use WD-40 and another brand of similar lubricant every day in these same locks (Ignition and Gas cap) at the shop. No big deal. It does not last forever, but it does not hurt anything either.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had not heard about the risks of graphite either, thanks for the heads up.

Is there a brand name of silicon lubricant that is preferred, or are they all pretty much the same?

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Is there a brand name of silicon lubricant that is preferred, or are they all pretty much the same?
I think this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.
I'm not fond of "generic" silicone or PTFE (Teflon) lubes because I don't think you get as much actual product in them; IE mostly solvent and propellant.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think TMR was agreeing with APiazza about the WD40 brand silicone spray, not just WD40.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts