RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this may come off as a total noob question and I'm really ok with that, but I just noticed a steel belt showing through my tire. The area of the steel belt is about as wide as a paper clip, but you can still see it and that scares me. I have new tires that I just bought but my question is how safe is it to ride to the shop to have them installed?

I have a shop about 12 miles away and a shop about 25 miles away. The closest shop charges about 60% more than the more distant shop. Am I safe to ride it for the 12 miles to shop A and even better, am I safe for a few extra miles to shop B in order to save the $65 difference?

Obviously I'm not going to be smoking the tires or doing any clutch drops on the way, but about 13 miles is a 65mph road if that matters. Also...front tire is fine but I'm replacing it anyways.

Money is not really a concern if it is absurd to ride it with a belt showing, but if it isn't going to grenade on me then I might as well save a bit of cash. Thanks for your help.

-H

·
Registered
660 Posts
if you just bought new tires where are they? are that at one of the shops already? or you planning on caring them to the shop on your bike? LMAO

on the fact that the belt is showing. you should be fine just be careful.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
No worries...

That is how my rear tire looked after a "Ride On The Ridge" Event one spring. It started to expose the belts while in Hillsville, VA. I rode back to Lynchburg, VA and then ran around for a few days waiting on a new tire.

You'll have NO PROBLEMS just getting 25-ish miles to your shop. I would, however, pay attention (additional attention) to road hazards. Rocks, etc.... no sense pushing your luck..... :alcy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, like said above you'll be fine as long as you're careful. And don't do it if it's raining. :laugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of figured I'd be fine, just wanted a bit of reassurance.

I figured I'd have someone follow me in a vehicle with the tires but now that you mention it, I bet I could wear them like a backpack if I tied them together in one spot. I can only imagine the looks from people. I've seen adventure riders carry them all the time...just never on a Z. Thanks again.

-H

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Carrying tires....

I usually only change one at a time (as they reach end of life). And I will usually carry it around my waist. Just step into the tire, get on the bike and go. Perhaps a rag on the tank to keep it from rubbing... But, that is all... It is no big deal.

Although, you are right... it looks funny :silly:

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Be Like Serpentine....

Or you could be like another member here, Serpentine.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Last time I put the tires on like a swimming tube around my waist, hoped on the bike and rode to the guy who changes tires for me. It was awkward at first but by the time i got to the guy I got used to it. Peeps looked at me funny at the intersections though.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I just take my wheels off and carry them in my SUV... I have never ridden in to have my tires changed. But if your bike is your only means of transport, I guess you manage somehow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts