RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

First post but hoping to become more active.

Went for a ride yesterday and only just made it back home before the bike cut out after some missing etc. Battery was dead and it had been on charge all week so definitely not getting charged and after inspecting the stator coil we found it's definitely burned out.

Looking for a replacement and there seems to be lots of 'cheaper' variations on ebay

Or I have been recommended this retailer:

So my question is should I fork out for the > £100 option (with delivery) or will the cheaper ebay china special be OK?

Also is there anything I should check before installing the new coil that may have caused it to burn out? It's a 2009 ER-6F that's done about 27k that I bought to learn on as my first bike at the start of the year.

Cheers

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wow these bike are supper reliable. Surprised it burned out. You should check to see if there is a cause like a short somewhere before you burn out the second unit.

As for replacement recommendation, I believe the reason these bikes are super reliable is because the components and materials are superior to other brands and replacing original equipment with cheap China stuff is where other brands suffer in reliability. Go with OEM on this critical item in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Welcome @Fatony to the forum.

As for which stator is best it's always gamble. The cheap one should be fine but if not then you're buying the additional one on top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

First post but hoping to become more active.

Went for a ride yesterday and only just made it back home before the bike cut out after some missing etc. Battery was dead and it had been on charge all week so definitely not getting charged and after inspecting the stator coil we found it's definitely burned out.

Looking for a replacement and there seems to be lots of 'cheaper' variations on ebay

Or I have been recommended this retailer:

So my question is should I fork out for the > £100 option (with delivery) or will the cheaper ebay china special be OK?

Also is there anything I should check before installing the new coil that may have caused it to burn out? It's a 2009 ER-6F that's done about 27k that I bought to learn on as my first bike at the start of the year.

Cheers
I bought a Chinese stator from amazon cheap for my 09 650r no problem with it so far you may want to change the regulator rectifier also as the usually go bad together also check your coil caps

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts

Also is there anything I should check before installing the new coil that may have caused it to burn out? It's a 2009 ER-6F that's done about 27k
Welcome aboard. Stator problems with the Ninja 650 have been around pretty much since the bike was introduced, so considering the age of your bike - it's no surprise that it failed.

Most, if not all, electrical components are made in China, so forking out for a 'branded' stator isn't going to guarantee quality. For example: I have an Aprilia 750. My Regulator/Rectifier failed and the battery ran flat (luckily at a service station, so I only had to push it 2 kilometres home). After seeing the 'original' R/R was around $180US, I took a gamble on a Chinese one for $40US which had the same plug configuration. 18 months later - still working fine.

Speaking of the R/R - do a simple multi-meter test to see if it is still working before replacing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts