RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped my 650 ( named her Samantha ) about a month ago now. I was stopping at a stop sign at night and to avoid being hit by a car making a wide right onto the street i was on braked harder then i normally would. Just after i rolled on the brakes harder the front tire hit a patch of gravel. The empty lot next to the stop sign had just been graveled and a truck threw gravel out on the street by doing so doughnuts. Needless to say front end slid across the travel the grabbed traction with a locker tire doin about 15. I immediately went down. Injuries were minimal. A burn from the liner of the jacket I was wearing, bruised and rashed knee, and a rashed right elbow. I've had worse damage from mountain biking and wipingout.

I had no cut frame sliders on it that I purchased from the dealer. The sliders gave out and popped a hole in the valve cover. Bent the rear brake lever and since the sliders caved the right plastic didactic see some rash. I picked the bike up and walker it back to my buddies house which was just down the street.

I ordered the parts to replace the valve cover and award it out when everything came in. Put it together and it wouldn't start, sounded God awful. I ripped Sam apart and checked the timing. Timing was off by several teeth, reset the timing chain and put her back together. Still wouldn't start. Sounded much better though.

Took her apart again and put her into self diagnosis dealer mode 1 and she threw a couple codes. Checked and fixed the codes and still wont start.

I took her apart opener the valve cover and cranked the motor by hand and heard a clicking noise from cylinder 2 exhaust cam valve 2.

I'm thinking the valve may be bent causin the valve to stick and possibly not allowing proper seal for cylinder two.

Even if this were the case shouldn't the motor run on one cylinder? Not that I want to run or ride.on one cylinder.

Next time I get a chance to wrench on her I am goin to do a compression test.

Any one have any other ideas as to why she wont start? I've got fuel, spark and air.

Thanks in advance andbsorry about the long thread just trying to get all the info to you.

Joe

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Is that black thing the slider? That is a joke I am sorry to tell you. More like foot rests than sliders. I would go back and complain to the dealer, and/or take them to small claims court for selling a POS as a frame slider.

My Kawasaki Frame sliders mount to a bracket that mounts to hard points on the frame to distribute the forces over a wide area. But even these sliders are advertized as something to protect the bodywork in case of a tip over. But I guess that is why mine MSRP for $259.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks electjohn. I had never heard of a leak test before. Will be easier to do then a compression test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts