RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a recent thread, someone mentioned that gas can varnish the carb if it sits for months. Also, battery goes dead if not cycled, pardon the pun. Last Winter, I'd start the bike up once a month or so, really just to here it run.

Question: Does starting/running once a month keep bad things like varnished carbs and dead batteries from happening. I think probably, but how long do you idle it for. It's usually too cold to ride, so a static run is only possible in Winter. Suppose I could take it around the block...

Hey George, come here quick, look at that idiot ! What in the sam hell is he doing, it must be ten degrees out. What kind of idiot rides a motorcycle in the Winter ? Sware he cares more about that thing then his own family. Well Martha, he just probably doesn't want varnish to build up in his carbs, take it easy on the boy now..

My neighbors are such nosey busy bodies !

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Winter care

Tony,

I live here in Chicago so I know what you mean about cold. I just can't let it sit all winter. I can't fight the urge to ride so what I do is put Sta-Bil in the take each time I fill up in the winter and on the those cold but clear sunny days when the roads are clear, I bundle up and go for a ride. You can usually get one or two rides a month in which I have found to be enough to keep it going all year round without winterizing. Good luck and Happy Riding. Just remeber to wave at your neighbors like a crazed idiot as you ride by :)

Mike B

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Yes, the more you run it, the more you're neighbors will think you're nuts......'er,hmmm,...oh! the more you're bike will love you. That's it. Really guys, My dirt machines basically sit all summer long, but I start them once every 3 to 4 weeks. I have no problems what so ever. And I don't wanna open this bag of worms up all over again, but I run high octane (Premium) gasoline in my bikes. I have no idea if that makes any difference whatsoever, but come first rains, I'm out slinging mud and dirt with no unusual prep (I don't drain the carbs or boil them out , or drain the tanks). But starting your bike in the "off season" will help keep things in order.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just run mine all winter whenver its above 40. I also make sure to 'freshen up' the gas with a splash at the local station (same as Martin - Premium only). I never have had any problems.

Also, I love the look people give me or the quesyton 'Isn't it cold out?'. To which I reply 'Yeah, thanks Mr. Obvious!'.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I start mine once a week since it's been put away. Since my ZR-7 is passing its winter days by in a storage unit miles from my house, it's hard to actually get out and ride it, even on the clear days. I start it up, put it in first gear and let the idle speed spin the rear wheel. I figure this way at least some of the tranny is in action and it'll help keep it from gumming up in the cold.

Don't forget to put some heavier grease on your chain if you leave it sit too long, though. Come next riding season, you'll have lots of gritty red rust powder all over it if you don't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts