RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting stainless steel brake and clutch lines for my meanie. I'm also interested in getting stainless steel cables for throttle push and pull. I was browsing cruisercustomizing website and they're selling Goodridge brake and clutch lines. The throttle cables they're selling are something called "Barnett". I know that Goodridge is a quality brand but what about this Barnett?

There is one very negative feedback about the Barnett throttle cables:

"I can't believe no one has mentioned this. The cable ends are BIGGER than stock, I couldn't get them through the inlet in the switch housing without forcing them through. This causes minor thread damage to the lower cable inlet in the switch housing, and the cable must be threaded into this. Poor quality and bad design IMHO".

I know that Galfer is also manufacturing some brake and clutch lines...

If someone has some experience about these different brands I would appreciete some advise. I'm aware that some members have replaced their lines/cables with aftermarket products. I'd like to hear some comments before I start shopping...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I replaced mine with Goodridge and Galfer. Not sure which where the brake/clutch lines and which were the throttle cables but they all worked well and looked to be well built.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced mine with Goodridge and Galfer. Not sure which where the brake/clutch lines and which were the throttle cables but they all worked well and looked to be well built.
Thanks for the hint, much appreciated. I browsed internet last night and Goodridge and Galfer brake & clutch lines are actually very easy to find so that's no problem. However I couldn't find stainless steel throttle cables other than those Barnett cables...maybe I'm blind or stupid...or both...haha!

If only someone knows...and would like to point me to the right direction. Beancounter, do you remember where did you get your throttle cables?

I really want to replace all the cables and re-route them to the back of the triple tree...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Barnett has been well known for their clutch parts. I've used those products with good results. I wouldn't be afraid to use their cable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would watch out for anything import that is not name brand.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have Galfer for my clutch and brake hoses, though, not stainless steel, I'm going on 8 years with them and they are still solid.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe I'm going to buy Goodridge brake and clutch cables. I have to think about buying those Barnett throttle cables...there are just too many negative feedbacks about the cables not fitting properly without modifying them first. Don't want to buy low quality parts...it's just waste of time and money...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cyclebrakes is having a sale on Galfer stainless lines through Sept. 10. Buy the front 3 line kit (135.00) and get the rear line free. Clutch line is another 50.00 if bought all together. You also get your choice of color for the coating at no charge. They only charge 5.00 per line for extended lengths, so for 10.00 we with different bars can get what we need.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the hint, much appreciated. I browsed internet last night and Goodridge and Galfer brake & clutch lines are actually very easy to find so that's no problem. However I couldn't find stainless steel throttle cables other than those Barnett cables...maybe I'm blind or stupid...or both...haha!

If only someone knows...and would like to point me to the right direction. Beancounter, do you remember where did you get your throttle cables?

I really want to replace all the cables and re-route them to the back of the triple tree...
I got mine at a local cycle shop. I would have to check with them to see what kind they really were. It is possible that the brake lines were one brand, the clutch line was another and the throttle was something different (Barnett?). I will try to get in there and see what they say. I do remember the throttle cables being a little different than the stock ones but it wasn't too big a deal to get them to fit and they have worked fine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! Appreciated. Let's see what happens next winter...

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could check partshark.com, they give a 20% discount on aftermarket parts if you tell them you are from Rider Forums

1 - 13 of 13 Posts