RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone staggered the stiffer BRP clutch springs to alleviate effort required to pull the lever?
Wondering if this will cause issues later with two different spring stiffness' in there? thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
I honestly never experienced any issues with the heavier springs. I'm only a part time rider, so I guess I may not notice it, but on many long trips, I have yet to experience any real effort in the clutch pull.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the stock and BRP springs were different lengths.. the stock was a little shorter, so I imagine it would only harm the engine.

Interesting idea, but i wouldn't suggest trying it. After a couple week the stiffer springs will soften and you won't even notice the difference!

·
Registered
334 Posts
After a couple week the stiffer springs will soften and you won't even notice the difference!
Why do you think the stiffer springs soften after a couple of weeks? I can see the theory that if you have 5 springs, and 2 are stock, 3 are stiffer BRP that there's more pressure and stress on the 3 BRP's than there would be if there were all 5 BRP's. So, I could see the usable lifetime of the 3 BRP springs being reduced somewhat, but over the period of a few weeks - I don't see that happening. I'd suggest that they might be weaker after a number of years. If the usable life of the BRP springs is, say 10 years, then maybe the 3 would be softer after 5-8 years...?

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
We did this on our dirt bikes all the time. It wont cause an issue.

Keep in mind, we were kids and would do anything we could to ride. If that meant borrowing a spring from your dads cb750, so be it.

If you tried one spring that was super, super stiff and four springs that were soft, it was possible to lift that pressure plate at an odd angle. Even then, it worked.

With what you have here, I doubt the heavy duty springs are even 10% more stiff. As long as you alternate the springs heavy-soft-heavy-soft, it will work just fine.

If you think about it, no springs are ever identical. The way this part is designed, the spring rate tends to "add up" rather than working as individual parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
If there were an even number of springs, I'd say sure. Since there's 5, I'd keep it even.

BRP sells 10% or 18% springs...go with the 10% if you don't want the lever too stiff.

I just bought the 18% versions and I'll put them in probably over the winter, maybe first thing in the spring with an oil change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed, not much difference in lever pull
Anyone want the mt-55-5 clutch springs I removed? Only a few hundred miles on them and a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think the springs get softer your hand gets stronger
Like using those springy hand exercises.
Either way like Logan said you won't notice after a week or two

·
Registered
228 Posts
Part of the reason I picked the 650 is the light clutch pull. I ride in heavy traffic. My F3 has paddle shifters, which are even better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts