RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one did not know the defenition of SQUID or where the term came from. Here is the defenition.

Squid The term squid is used to describe a style of riding. The style of riding is related to the sea creature's style of swimming. The sea creature can be seen taking off quickly in a straight line. When the squid comes to a turn they will come to almost a complete stop, turn their bodies, then take off quickly again.
Much like the sea creature a "squid" rider will blast off on a straight road as fast as they can go. When they come to a corner they will slow down to a very inconvenient speed. The "squid" rider will do this until the turn is done and when the road straightens out they will blast off again.

The term "Squid" is commonly used to describe riders that are irresponsible and pose a danger to others.

Andy 2001 ZR-7S

Attachments

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that we know what SQUID means. Here is another term related to it.

Squid Marks The marks left by squid riders when they do not notice a turn in time.

Andy 2001 ZR-7S

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Don't call me squid, but you can call me Sponge Bob Square Pants, though:laugh:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr. Sponge Bob Square Pants,

Sounds like you need one of those nifty (little) devices found on page 88 in November 2001 Motorcyclist, title "This is Not a Joke". :D

Andy 2001 ZR-7S

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Ha ha, no, now wait a minute. Sponge Bob lives under water. He's already in the pool, ya know. Another fav of mine is the metal polish called blue job. You gotta check that one out too.:D

Attachments

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Blu, "squirrely kid" is the term I've always heard to be the basis for calling someone a squid. SBW once had a lenghty thread on the subject. Tom (dirt bike squid about 20 something years ago). :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that it was an acronym for "Stupid, QUick, and Invariably Dead". (maybe it's Inevitably, I can't quite remember)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I've heard the term "Squid" used in racing (cars, not necessarily motorcycles) for a long time now. It's kind of a common term that implies "new", "beginner", or "rookie" mechanic, driver, student, etc.

As for the derivation of the name, I'm not sure. But there sure are good explanations in the above posts.

Emrah

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts