RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my bike has done a little over 5000kms. Coming to a halt in the last part of stop less than 10KPH, the front brakes squeal under the light brake pressure.... a little annoying. I was going to give the pads a clean. If I undo the pad pins, will the pads come out or does the whole caliper need to come off for the pads to come out. I pushed back the pistons, but the pads won't slide out of the caliper. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You have to pull the calipers to pull the pads.

My bike has right at 10K miles and it got the same squeak a week or so back. I'm going to pull the calipers and pads tomorrow and see what's up with them. I suspect if I clean everything up and lube the back of the pads with some brake grease it'll be fine. It happens on cars all the time and that's the common fix.

I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, my bike has done a little over 5000kms. Coming to a halt in the last part of stop less than 10KPH, the front brakes squeal under the light brake pressure.... a little annoying. I was going to give the pads a clean. If I undo the pad pins, will the pads come out or does the whole caliper need to come off for the pads to come out. I pushed back the pistons, but the pads won't slide out of the caliper. Any advice would help.

Story of my life. I bought the 2012 abs n1k brand new and from day 1 the front brake squeaks exactly how you explain it and it has never gone away. I have no idea what is causing this, would be nice to figure it out :mad:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Try taking the bike up to speed, 90 mph or higher and brake very hard 3 times in a row quickly. Sometimes the pads get glazed from not being used hard enough. Give it a shot

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Story of my life. I bought the 2012 abs n1k brand new and from day 1 the front brake squeaks exactly how you explain it and it has never gone away. I have no idea what is causing this, would be nice to figure it out :mad:
My '10 z1000 is like this as well.

I have found anti squeal only works to reduce chatter, not actual squeal since the squeal is from the pad to rotor contact.

The high speed hard braking did nothing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
+1 on glazed pads usually being the culprit, especially on new bikes where people tend to baby the bike for a while. I broke in my brakes and compnonents when I bought my bike just as I did the motor. Mine do not squeak ATM.

I had a VTR1000 that squeaked off and on. It drove me nuts after cleaning the pads and scuffing them did not help. I bought some quality EBC's and it went away. I suspect the previous owner of my VTR used some cheap pads.

Most of the remedies have been posted but here is a few things you can try How to Fix Squeaky Motorcycle Brake Pads | eHow.com

GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the pins and push back the pads. Washed it with detergent and flushed it lots of water. Tighten everything backup. On the 4th day and no squeal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts