RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor just put a smaller front sprocket on his 01 zr7s. i didn't get to ride it yet but he said it felt a lot quicker off the line. my question is how much and what are the neg with doing this beside losing top end speed?

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Not much. You may go through rear tires quicker. Fuel mileage will probably go down a tad.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
A tooth either way on the front is a fairly substantial change.

I went up 1 tooth on the rear and at 100km/h ( 60mph ) it raised
the revs about 500 to around 5100rpm. Touring around 130-140km/h keeps it spinning just under 7000rpm, so top gear roll- ons are definitely improved.

Lowering the front 1 tooth will really make it zip around town, but will rev its brains out on the highway.

:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
One tooth on the front is about the same as 3 on the rear. But try not to mess with the rear because the sprockets are harder to change, they're more expensive and steel sprockets are harder (a little) to find. Aluminum sprockets wear out real fast and the dust off them tears up the o-rings on the chain and makes it worthless quicker. Even though you lube your chain, tiny minute shavings (dust) still comes off the sprocket. Looks kinda like the brake dust on the wheels of your car when it hasn't been washed in a while. The big difference is that it's not colored and harder to see, but it's there.

Also, usually when you add teeth to the rear, you usually have to add a link and 1/2 to the chain and alot of shops don't like to sell 1/2 links.

Yeah, you'll definitely make 'er scream a little at highway speeds. But what a "Canyon Carver" it would be.:)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Coz this motor has been around for ages, and used in various bikes since the 70's, there are quite a few good sprockets available from Kawasaki direct. Hellishly expensive tho.

I went non-genuine when I did full sprocket/chain replacement ( at 22000km) but I believe the 39/16 gearing I am running is same as the Zephyr 750 used to use. But don't quote me on that. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've thought about getting a spare front sprocket with one extra tooth and using it just for long cruises. I could probably use the same chain since it's stretched some anyway. How much of a pain is it to change front sprockets? i.e., is it a relatively quick change (gimme half an hour, I'll be right with you), or a real ordeal?

kelly

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
After you do it a few times, you could get it down to that or less. remove the shift lever, take off the side cover, remove the nut from the shaft (the book says to apply the rear brake when loosening the nut), loosen the rear wheel, slack the chain, remove the sprocket and reassemble. You may have trouble finding a 17 tooth sprocket though. I remember asking the parts guy if one was available and (at that time) he said there wasn't. But that may not be the case now. Dunno. I haven't looked in about a year or so. But if there is one available, I don't think that you have to worry too much about the chain. It should work just fine.

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it turns out my neighbor put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front. I'm curious how much vibration you would get between 50 -70 mph? you would think it would be easier to do wheels or smoke the tires now

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
14 Teeth?...Extend the swing arm and add a rear tire chain and a guy would have a hill climber!.....Wheelies and burn outs should be "On Demand".

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Hmmm, using my limited maths, a 14 front is a 2 tooth reduction over the std 16 tooth front. Since 1 tooth at the front is equal to about 3 on the back, thats a 6 tooth increase.

When I went 1 tooth up at the back it lifted revs about 500 at 100km/h ( 60mph), so a 6 tooth increase should raise the revs 3000rpm to about 8000rpm !! Redline should be around 140km/h (80mph).

This should be in the " how do I wheelie my ZR-7 " post.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
?increasing front sproket?

Has anyone tried to increase the size of the front sproket by one tooth? What is the effect on RPM decrease? I think it should be in the region of 500 rpm if decreasing it causes an increase of 500? Does that make sense?
How does the bike feel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds a bit too much of an rpm decrease? I should think that would affect the bike negatively. Maybe somebody has tried it out and will let us know

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Gimme That What I Desire!

I remember reading that a while back. It's good info. And the way (to me) the conversation goes back and forth, Whitman having set up alot of bikes like that, the 17/35 to him was not much, but he also road raced. So it's relative for him, where as now for me, I've ridden my bike in stock configuration for 16,000 miles. I would feel the difference with one tooth change in the front sprocket.

Good fuel man!

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
There's another thread about gearing in the old forum, but I can't find it . It started as one topic and ended up with sprockets. I think this might be the thread where I accused Tom of being an expert on gearing because of his dirtbike days............which he quickly laughed like hell:laugh: and denounced his crown as gearing expert. Hey Tom you remember what thread that was?

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Yeah Al, I remember the thread, now I'm on a new mission to find it. Problem is I think we added a comment or 2 about me getting up to Kentucky and drinking a beer or 12 with ya!! Didn't that thread also include me using the phrase, "Fade ya got it Made?? Tom :D BTW, hope your'e mending fast and not laughing too much. ;)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Tom I have so many drugs in me right now that I would be lucky to find my *** with 2 hands and a search warrent......Actually today the only thing still sore is my shoulder.....even took a walk today. Back to the sprocket .....I believe someone did change the back gear and even posted a company that made tooth range we were looking for. I checked out more than a few threads and came up blank. Anybody care to know what Kaw charges for a ZR7-S windshield.......this is good..........get a chair.........248.00

1 - 20 of 25 Posts