RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has had a problem with their zr-7s (mine is a 2001), in regards to the headlight and ignition going dead on occasion.

I took a trip from San Fran, down to San Clemente on Friday (around 500 miles), and while I was tooling around at night, the headlight died! Before I could get safe, I wound up panic braking to avoid some who (for obvious reasons) didn't see me, and unfortunately was on a sandy area, so I took a dive. Cracked the faring, some cosmetic scratches etc. Luckily my ankle bore the brunt of the bikes weight, so it wasn't worse (At this point I'm really starting to wonder just how dense my bones are, after coming out of a previous head-on with only bruises, and then having all 450+ pounds of this bike land and slide on my ankle without any damage to me, except for a bit of soreness).

After I got the bike off me, I started troubleshooting (the ignition was dead at this point), turns out there was something funky going on with the fuse box, by just manipulating the wiring I could get the headlight to go on and off at will, and was able to start the bike up after bending the wiring harness going into the box. I re-seated everything, and so far so good.

Just curious if this is something common in the 2001s (or any year model). Also curious what my chances are for having the dealer repair the damage due to the sudden loss of lighting due to improperly seated wiring..

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
If you can still do the wire trick, take it to the dealer and file a statement with the warranty claim and see they'll honor it. After all, the faulty wires are what caused the episode in the first place. But just make sure you can show them the wire trick so they have something to go on.

I've never experienced it with my '00....

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Valgar,

Glad you made it through that OK. There's another forum member (ACE) that had the ZR cut off on him a number of times. I couldn't determine from the posts if it was ever determined to be electrical, fuel or what. Be nice to know if he found a resolution and what it was. Either way, let us know what you find out on this one. It's the first thing I would want to check on mine. And I'd do what Martin suggests.

Berto

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aghhh!

Took the bike up to the dealership today, and of course I couldn't get the problem to happen at will. I think I did too good of a job fixing it when I reseated all the wiring into the fuse box.....

*sigh*

Well the manager did say he would call Kawasaki to see if they would provide the replacement part for the fairing, and if they said no, they would provide the part at dealer cost (the usual price for the right hand side portion is around $209 USD).

He also said that he hasn't had any other issues with the electrical system on the 7s, so most likely mine was just a fluke in the bike prep work.

I guess in that event I really can't lose too much.

And the insurance company called with the payoff for my old bike. Not quite as much as I expected, but at this point I don't care that much and just want the whole thing over with. Since the old bike is payed off, I'll just stick the check from insurance into the 7s.

·
Silver Member
154 Posts
I had problems w/ the wiring behind the headlight on my '00. There was a couple other people had the same problem. It would be interesting to know where the wires come together on the '01.

Mine was due to the connectors not pushed in tight. Got stranded a couple times b/4 figuring it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts