RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my first bike today, a 2009 Ninja 650R! I am so excited to get riding but it needs a couple things before I can get it out on the road. Before I can do any riding I need to fix the handle bars. It has the aftermarket Sport Bars. As you can see it the picture, the brake and clutch lever are making contact with the "dash". The clutch isn't an issue functionally but the brake hits the windshield and will activate the brakes pretty harshly.

What can I do to fix this, or can anyone recommend some decent replacement levers.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
You shouldn’t be turning that far while riding. If it only hits when turned you should be fine to ride. You may have an issue locking the forks when parked though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn’t be turning that far while riding. If it only hits when turned you should be fine to ride. You may have an issue locking the forks when parked though.
It hits so soon though on the brake side... Like I couldn't even walk my bike around my garage without the brake grabbing. I have tried full adjustments each direction and side to side. It hits the windshield at like half turn or less.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What's the dumb question?
My dumb question(to owners of sports bars fitted to N650’s) is can they be adjusted in any way so they dont hit? It could be that they cant and this is a design flaw. Could the bars be bent or installed incorrectly perhaps? I cant imagine a manufactured product that’s that popular being that poorly designed

·
Registered
61 Posts
They aren't adjustable. You have aftermarket levers that stick out more than stock levers. I have a similar problem. I just took out the dremel and made some "artistic modifications" to the wind screen. You wouldn't know that they were not factory unless you closely compared with a factory bike side by side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Th op also has his brake perch set inwards. It looks as though moving it out would mean that the lever bend would mean it fit in better. May need to adjust for two finger braking though

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Look up total control by Lee parks. Adjust your levers for proper ergonomics and if they still hit. Get shorty levers.

I had sport bars on my '07 with no issues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts