RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a quick glance through the forums have shown some people have gotten some information on specific tires, but I was hoping for a more diversified for lack of a better word information on some tires. I am currently running Shinko 011 Sport touring tires front and rear, stock sizes, but after only 4000 miles of 75% long-distance touring and 25% aggressive street riding (ie Mulholland highway in LA) the rear has definitely started squaring off. Since this tire is already labeled a "sport touring" tire, and I know from personal experience that this is what typically can be expected from a sportier road tire, I was hoping I could get some feedback from people on what you've had that's worked now or in the past. As I said, I'm looking for a tire that I can get at least 7-8 thousand miles out of ideally of long distance touring, with some more extreme street or track miles as well. Names I've heard thrown out are Bridgestone BT-023s, Angel Sport Tourers, Pilot Road 2s, etc. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind, I was thinking that for the short term I might just replace the rear with the same, and replace both front and rear as a set @ 8000 miles on the front. I'm kinda bummed, since I wasn't riding from February until early April due to being away at school I technically ran through 4000 miles and a rear tire in a little over 3 months... I was hoping they would last a bit longer than 4k.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have to say though I just looked up the Pilot Road 3s, and that is one mother-fuzzing ugly tread pattern...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Angels are great, after about 7k on my girl friends sv's she had some squaring, but nothing insane. Then she got them all taken care of a few weeks ago at 2 track days. Now the tire is round again. I just throw a set on my bike 3 weeks ago. Only about 1000 commuting miles so far on them. But been through tons of rain and held up great. Angels should last you a good 12k i believe unless your hitting up the track often or twisties weekly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm running a set of Pilot Road 3s, love them so far. They're my first new set of tires so I really can't compare to anything else. I switched from the stock tires to these last month after I noticed some sliding around turns. With the Pilot Road 3s instead of sliding the tires grip well and I have confidence to push harder. Haven't had time to test them out in the rain.

I recommend them. Motorcycle-superstore will probably have some sort of tire deal soon since Memorial Day is coming up.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Hmmm, I know nothing about the shinko 11s... If you don't want squaring, you need a harder tire... So that'll be the trick, what tire is harder in the center than the shinko 11s? I can't answer that one...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Maybe it's not the tire. I've managed to square of dual compound rear sport touring tires running an improper PSI. Mind you, I'm not talking "factory spec" becuase that's meaningless in the real world for anything more than a minimum suggested setting. Running a couple pounds higher will give you more mileage.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Seems like no matter what tires I've tried on my 650 (Bridgestone BT020, Michelin PR2, Shinko 009), I get about 8,000 on the rear and 10,000 on the front. So now I only use Shinko 009 because they are most cost-effective.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to be sure, since I don't want to drop the bills on a new tire if it's unnecessary... This is a flat spot, right?

It's started having some problems with turn-in, where it doesn't want to go over and then it REALLY wants to go over, and it's hard to keep a steady line through a corner. There aren't any good twisties where I live ANYWHERE near so there's not any chance of me taking the sides down to match.

EDIT: Sorry about the pic, it's night and in my garage...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@JustAJ, it might be an improper psi. I recently had it in the stealership for a broken throttle cable and throttle assembly, and they mentioned when I picked it up that I was running REALLY high psi both front and rear. I hadn't been checking it often enough, and sitting in the sun in the parking lot of my college hadn't done me any favors. Apparently nearing double the recommended psi... yeah that was dumb definitely going to check it more often. If anything though shouldn't running a higher psi extend tire life?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I was running BT-021s on the Ninja, had 7000 on them when I traded the bike in and they still looked like they had 7000 left on them.

I am running the Shinko Raven 009s on the Meanstreak. I like them but I only average about 2500 miles a year on that bike so it will be a while before I can report on their longevity.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I try to never check my presure when the bike's been sitting in the sun - you always get an anomolous reading. My 250 read 39 PSI the other day in the rear, so I dropped it down to 36 where I wanted it. Sue enough, first thing the next morning when it was cold, it was too low, right around 28. But yes, running it high should give you a longer life.

I've gone through 6 sets of tires now between my 250's and my 650. The highest mileage I got was from the stock BTs on my 650, which ran until nearly 6k miles. On my first 250, I flat spotted a Sport Demon in 2k miles, and a BT45 in less than 5k. IMO, my weight probably plays just as big a role as my pressures, since the most current shoes on my 250 have less than 3k and are already showing the signs, depsite me running them at max sidewall pressure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just to be sure, since I don't want to drop the bills on a new tire if it's unnecessary... This is a flat spot, right?

It's started having some problems with turn-in, where it doesn't want to go over and then it REALLY wants to go over, and it's hard to keep a steady line through a corner. There aren't any good twisties where I live ANYWHERE near so there's not any chance of me taking the sides down to match.

EDIT: Sorry about the pic, it's night and in my garage...
That's what my tire looks like. I've got a little over 7K on it right now. I commute 150 mile round trip to work so I'm very interested is seeing what other types of tires will last longer. Maybe you should come up and we'll do a full day on Mulholland twisties.....that'll wear down those sides for us!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts