RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have '14 Ninja 650. I recently did a coolant flush and switched to Toyota Pink antifreeze. I filled up the reservoir a little above the "HI" line. I noticed a little bit of coolant spit out on the ground from the previous ride when I take it out. I did the flush at 8500mi, I'm at 9100mi now and have added 4-6 ounces of pink since then. Does this happen to any of you guy running non-Kawa coolant? Also my fan turns off when I turn the bike off - Do your bikes do that?

Appreciate any insight, I'm taking an 800mi trip to Iowa for the 4th of July and I don't want to bring coolant with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't had that but did have the top of the reserve tank crack open due to sun damage to the clear plastic. That was about a year ago (my 650 is a 2013).

·
Registered
981 Posts
The only time I had it happen was when I was having issues with my radiator cap. It wasn't sealing properly so she'd spit. But it was also accompanied by a bubbling sound shortly after I shut it down. If it's only a little then don't worry. Having to add more after a flush is normal since there is always *some* air left in the works even if you fill it slowly and super carefully.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The only time I had it happen was when I was having issues with my radiator cap. It wasn't sealing properly so she'd spit. But it was also accompanied by a bubbling sound shortly after I shut it down. If it's only a little then don't worry. Having to add more after a flush is normal since there is always *some* air left in the works even if you fill it slowly and super carefully.
I have this exact same problem with the spitting and bubbling. How did you fix it? New cap?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have this exact same problem with the spitting and bubbling. How did you fix it? New cap?
Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put hte "old" cap back on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put hte "old" cap back on.
Great tidbit. Thanks for sharing. I am planning to do a coolant flush and troubleshoot it this weekend. Glad I haven't bought a cap yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove your radiator cap and put a light film of regular grease around the flat surface that seals to the radiator mouth. Bubbling noise means the cap is not sealing right, and apparently grease is required for it to function properly. If your bike is old / high mileage then it could be the cap, but I replaced 2 caps before my parts guy hit me with the tidbit about the grease. Haven't had an issue since, and I even put the "old" cap back on.
My cap is sealed, good tip none the less. I tracked the pink drips from the ground up and I found the source of my leak: the band clap connecting a rubber tube to the water pump. I must have put it back on improperly after the flush. My bad.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Regular old everyday grease. And just a tiny amount, enough to coat the rim in a thin layer so the parts don't stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts