RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I finally instal my spike air cleaner on my bike, bud I'm not so happy with fuel consumption, which increased about 1liter per 100km... :-(
Any advices, what to do with that?

Many thanx :righton:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Did you add a fuel processor? I wouldn't think the air cleaner would do that by itself, but adding a fuel map will.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi guys,
I finally instal my spike air cleaner on my bike, bud I'm not so happy with fuel consumption, which increased about 1liter per 100km... :-(
Any advices, what to do with that?

Many thanx :righton:
Increased with 1 liter or to 1 liter?

Like lee says, if you open up the air you need to add fuel processor as well.

Reactions: Diamond Jim

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Reactions: Diamond Jim

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
No, I didn't add a fuel processor...Have I to add that?
What you basically did is increase the amount of air coming in without adjusting how much fuel is coming out, making the air/fuel mixture not be efficient. I don't know all the ins and outs because I wouldn't expect it to use more fuel by adding an intake, but maybe it is a matter of the fuel not being efficient because there is too much air coming in, so it burns more fuel due to inefficiency? just a thought

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Some people don't add them, I have one but am running a "zero" map at the moment. Adding the spike makes more air available which can cause the engine to run leaner. Like Arizona, I don't know enough to say it absolutely couldn't cause more fuel usage, but it doesn't make sense to me. I know that when I add a fuel map it's adding fuel to the mixture and my mileage gets worse. Without a map my mileage and performance improves (I check the plugs periodically for signs that it's running *too* lean).

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
+1 Lee and Arizona. Replacing the OEM crossover intake with any more efficient intake increases Air into the mix in an exponential volume because the factory starves the motor to meet the EPA regs. the real risk of increasing air without a fuel processor to balance the mix is that the motor will run dangerously lean. If this occurs it can damage cylinder valves and pistons, the motor will run hotter and also risk additional damage. In theory as well as in reality the more air and fuel sucked in the bigger the combustion in the cylinder resulting in greater energy (HP) to the drive and wheel. thus less throttle is required to achieve the same speed, so long as the motor is not rich or lean.

Realistically you will probably lose a slight amount of fuel economy, but not necessarily, depending how you ride the bike and under what conditions. I get about 38 mpg around town (110mi/fill) and 42mpg on open road with the big three. If I hot rod it alot or play games with friends while riding my fuel economy drops to around 38 or below. The fuel processor will not have so much impact on your fuel economy as the conditions of your riding.

Reactions: TTE and Diamond Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Totally agree with you there Marauder! My meanie has the spike as well, and when I was running no map it seemed really good. That is until I checked the plugs :( It was running super lean! That was when I posted about maps and such and someone on here (possibly even you.. :)) Sent the proper map. When I went down the the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby last year, I had the Power Commander guy run my bike on his computer. Cost me about $400, but the bike runs AMAZING now! He said that cause I had moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia the air was different (who knew...) and I needed to adjust my map accordingly. If I play around on the roads and ride her hard then I'll suck fuel like crazy, but if I'm just cruising I get pretty good mileage. My suggestion is to go to a shop that can accurately depict what you need to run for the area that you ride in. Most places will check your "map" for you, but unless you run it on a dyno you'll only be 'playing' with the settings. The way he suggested to me was that the air to fuel ratio needed to be recalibrated if you change anything with the intake or even outtake on your engine. Even changing your pipes changes the back pressure resulting in the engine compensating for fuel:air...

Just my two cents!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Totally agree with you there Marauder! My meanie has the spike as well, and when I was running no map it seemed really good. That is until I checked the plugs :( It was running super lean! That was when I posted about maps and such and someone on here (possibly even you.. :)) Sent the proper map. When I went down the the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby last year, I had the Power Commander guy run my bike on his computer. Cost me about $400, but the bike runs AMAZING now! He said that cause I had moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia the air was different (who knew...) and I needed to adjust my map accordingly. If I play around on the roads and ride her hard then I'll suck fuel like crazy, but if I'm just cruising I get pretty good mileage. My suggestion is to go to a shop that can accurately depict what you need to run for the area that you ride in. Most places will check your "map" for you, but unless you run it on a dyno you'll only be 'playing' with the settings. The way he suggested to me was that the air to fuel ratio needed to be recalibrated if you change anything with the intake or even outtake on your engine. Even changing your pipes changes the back pressure resulting in the engine compensating for fuel:air...

Just my two cents!
Very good info. :righton:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts