RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just riding along on my 02 Zr7S and my speedometer/Odometer have suddenly stiopped working. Tach still works fine. I'm guessing it's the cable? Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeah mine has done that b4
the wire that is in side the cable is a wound wire and after a time it falls apart

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Robbyd,

There are two common problems with the speedometer drive. The first, is the actual cable itself. The second is the drive gear unit which is mounted on the front axle. Both are easy to diagnose and fix, although the cable is less expensive than the drive gear.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've aslo encountered the cable working itself loose.
If it comes away at the speedo end, just refit and tighten.
If it comes loose at the drive gear - the inner cable can fall out.
It did on my bike.
Fortunately I realised what had happened and fixed it before I lost the inner cable. :)

·
Gold Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to it and I disconnected the cable at the wheel and the inner cable was broken off. Ordered a new cable, should have it in a day or two. All of $17. I've had this bike 9 years now and apart from regular maint. and tires, this is the first problem I've run into. Couldn't ask more from a machine!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I've had this bike 9 years now and apart from regular maint. and tires, this is the first problem I've run into.
The reliability of the ZR7 truly is a remarkable caracteristic of this motorcycle. My experience, with 2 of them, is essentially the same.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yep.
That's standard. The speedo will read up to 10% less than your true speed.
You should check your front tire pressure, and the tire profile as that could make a 2 or 3% difference too.
I use a Garmin GPS system and ignore my speedo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
speedo tweak

There is a little tab inside the speedo where the end of the needle spring is attached. i moved mine so that the static compression on the spring increased. moved it all the way to the stop. now, my speedo is almost right on up through ~ 50mph and not off too much (still a little fast) above 55 mph. as stated before, by gramme i think, if you need more accurate, run a GPS.
thanks,
Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.