RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot that these are better but I didn't see a reason why? I know the Z1000 Fork is way undersprung but how do the ZX6 forks match up against a correctly sprung fork set from a Z1000? Are the differences in the internals, the valving, etc?

Why does no one use ZX10 forks?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've read a lot that these are better but I didn't see a reason why? I know the Z1000 Fork is way undersprung but how do the ZX6 forks match up against a correctly sprung fork set from a Z1000? Are the differences in the internals, the valving, etc?

Why does no one use ZX10 forks?
I'm pretty sure the ZX-10R forks have a different outside diameter, so they don't fit the Z1000 triple clamps.

The main reason why the ZX6R/636 forks are better is that they're more adjustable. Your stock Z1000 forks have only pre-load adjustment, and rebound (on one fork only). The ZX6R/636 forks have adjustments for rebound on both forks, pre-load of course, and compression damping. The spring rates are very similar...I forget now...I think the 636 springs are only 0.5kg/mm different. A lot of guys put heavier springs in the 636 forks when doing the swap....that really stiffens up the front end.

Also, the ZX6R/636 forks have radial mounted calipers, which is a much better set-up....more "race" oriented.

Oh...and you get a cool lookin' front fender...hahaha.

However, don't get too hung up on this swap. Yes, there are some better mechanical components, but unless you track your Z1000, or are a really agressive rider, you don't need this swap. I know guys with bone stock Z1000's that can outride guys on sportbikes in the twisties...happens all the time. For the every day guy that likes to ride, and enjoys some fun in the twisties once in a while, the stock Z1000 suspension will be just fine for you. I did the 636 swap on my '06, but it was more of a "feel-good" project than anything for me...lol....the winters are too long without mods to do...lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the reply. I'm debating whether or not to get springs now or wait for the zx6 forks. Adjustability does suck. Forgot about that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow, thanks for the reply. I'm debating whether or not to get springs now or wait for the zx6 forks. Adjustability does suck. Forgot about that.
Well, I did the swap last winter myself...and I left the stock ZX6R/636 springs in there, although I did have a suspension shop open up the forks, check the bushings, and replace all the seals, oil, etc. They only had about 4k on them, but I wanted to make sure they were mint before installing them on my Z1000.
I really didn't need* the swap though...not for the type of riding I'm doing. I have the pre-load set pretty soft. Down the road, when I can afford that Concours-14 I want....lol, and need, I'll play around with my Z1000 suspension and stiffen it up as it will then be my "sporty" and play bike...lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are there any other modification that have to be done to make the swap work . I have a z1000 07 with zx10r wheels and love the forks for the color .

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can read it all in the sticky. It depends on what generation fork you use. You may need someone to help you with wheel spaces for the 10 wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts