RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only 2 spark plugs on these bikes??? I went to the stealership to price out a new battery and spark plugs and the guy tells me I need 4 spark plugs...he said it with a little grin, so don't know if he was just joking with me. Anyway, he's says $112 for the battery and $12 per plug. First time needing any of these so does the $$$ sound about right?

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
You will occasionally run across a bike that uses two spark plugs, per cylinder. In fact, that used to be mod for the old Kawasaki inline 4's.

However, your bike does not fit in that category. Yes, you need only 2 plugs.

2012 Kawasaki NINJA 650 (EX650ECF) Ignition System | MRCycles

You'll notice the plug is a NGK Cr9eia. Its a very high quality plug, and priced as such.

Figure @ 20.00 each, from a dealer, and 12-15 if you order online.
If you really want a decent price...

1 pc 1 x NGK Laser Iridium Plug Spark Plugs 6289 CR9EIA-9 6289 CR9EIA9 Tune qv | eBay
I hope those who encourage us to "support out local dealer" understand why so many of us have had an assfull of supporting them, and people who are not competent to do their jobs.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles do you have on this bike? I am guessing the plugs aren't your issue but i could be wrong.
I'm coming up on 8,000 miles. Don't know if I really need to change them, but I believe the manual says change at 7,500 miles, besides I don't mind doing small preventative maintenance like this if it's going to have the bike running good. This would be my first time doing this if I do.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Odds are, your plugs are fine.

I think this is more about removing the okd, and making sure they don't seize into place. Also, the motorcycles are considered "severe duty" NGK does not want to be on the hook if you drop an electrode at 30,000 miles, thus the crazy low replacement interval.

Watch the specific part number on the plugs. There is an iridium, and a Lazer iridium

One is really high quality, the other even a little better. The prices are different.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
You will occasionally run across a bike that uses two spark plugs, per cylinder. In fact, that used to be mod for the old Kawasaki inline 4's.

However, your bike does not fit in that category. Yes, you need only 2 plugs.

2012 Kawasaki NINJA 650 (EX650ECF) Ignition System | MRCycles

You'll notice the plug is a NGK Cr9eia. Its a very high quality plug, and priced as such.

Figure @ 20.00 each, from a dealer, and 12-15 if you order online.
If you really want a decent price...

1 pc 1 x NGK Laser Iridium Plug Spark Plugs 6289 CR9EIA-9 6289 CR9EIA9 Tune qv | eBay
I hope those who encourage us to "support out local dealer" understand why so many of us have had an assfull of supporting them, and people who are not competent to do their jobs.
So your saying you really like your dealer! :)

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
My local dealer is awesome. Its these folks. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

I pick out what I want, and need, they send it to me for $7.00, unless I need 50.00 worth, then its free.

I have five local shops. I know of one where we could send out OP to and get the correct amount of plugs.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Changing plugs on these bikes is not easy, and they can easily go 30,000 miles or more. Best to do it during a valve adjustment check, when all the hard work has already been done.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I never found the plugs to be hard to do, maybe a bit more time consuming since you need to remove everything under the tank. I'm in agreement with everyone here, no need to change them yet. Iridium plugs are made to last a very long time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The plugs usually come in a box of four, if you buy two someone has two left over. When I bought mine I took all four and put two away for later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts