RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, cut me a little slack if I do not use correct terminology. I am not much of a mechanic, but figured I can handle changing plugs. The bike has 18K miles. They haven't been changed since I bought it with 12K and I have no idea if they had been changed by the previous owner, so I figured it was overdue.

That being said, I went to the auto parts store for replacements. They did not have the NGK-R DPR6EA 9 plugs that were in the bike. They gave me what they said were the same plugs in Champion "Copper Plus": 810c/RA8HC.

First concern: The NGKs that were in there are 18mm. I had to remove the "spark plug retainers" (the cup that threads into the block surrounding the plug) to fit the 18mm socket over the plug. The Champions were 5/8".

Second concern: The auto parts guy assured me that the plugs come from the factory correctly gapped. Took his word on this.

Third concern: The metal nipples at the ends of the plugs that the wires connect to were removed on all four of the NGKs. The Champions came with those nipples but did not seem to fit in the wire connector - I didn't try to force them on, I just eyeballed it. I removed those since the NGKs were removed, although the service manual doesn't say anything about this.

The bike started right up and ran fine, but I thought I'd run this by you guys. If you see any red flags, your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
First, cut me a little slack if I do not use correct terminology. I am not much of a mechanic, but figured I can handle changing plugs. The bike has 18K miles. They haven't been changed since I bought it with 12K and I have no idea if they had been changed by the previous owner, so I figured it was overdue.

That being said, I went to the auto parts store for replacements. They did not have the NGK-R DPR6EA 9 plugs that were in the bike. They gave me what they said were the same plugs in Champion "Copper Plus": 810c/RA8HC.

First concern: The NGKs that were in there are 18mm. I had to remove the "spark plug retainers" (the cup that threads into the block surrounding the plug) to fit the 18mm socket over the plug. The Champions were 5/8".

Second concern: The auto parts guy assured me that the plugs come from the factory correctly gapped. Took his word on this.

Third concern: The metal nipples at the ends of the plugs that the wires connect to were removed on all four of the NGKs. The Champions came with those nipples but did not seem to fit in the wire connector - I didn't try to force them on, I just eyeballed it. I removed those since the NGKs were removed, although the service manual doesn't say anything about this.

The bike started right up and ran fine, but I thought I'd run this by you guys. If you see any red flags, your input would be appreciated.

not a mechanic either but my two red flags are
-why did you go to an auto store,and not a bike specific source
-if you had to remove something from the block to make the new plug fit,it wasnt meant to fit?
Maybe its ok to remove the retainers of your upgrading to a better plug,but Im not sure either..
Ill be watching for the answers here also..Im curious too...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I get mine from sparkplugs.com

The only plugs set at the factory are the platinum or iridium tip types. Any attempt to alter the plug gap will result in damage to the special tips and require buying a new one.

Standard plugs are set at the most common gap but its up to the end user to verify its correct for what the manufacturer requires. On a 1600 its .031-.035", not sure about your 1500 but it has to be close as they're pretty much the same engines. There's nothing wrong with a champion plug though if you're worried about brand.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I just saw the removing a part to get it to work, if you altered the depth that the spark plug sits in the head you moved it out of the optimal location for maximum combustion. Putting it further in risks it hitting valvetrain parts and moving it further out can partially shroud the spark resulting in reduced combustion.

I would get something designed to fit correctly with all stock parts in place.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
streak07, I didn't alter the thread depth or the gap. There is a metal nipple threaded onto the other end of the plug, on the other side of the ceramic (farthest point from the engine), where the plug wire attaches.

jgrazjgraz, I had to remove the retainers to get the old plugs out. I put them back before installing the new plugs. Oh, and I went to the auto parts store because its right down the street and the nearest bike shop is 30 miles away.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh, and I went to the auto parts store because its right down the street and the nearest bike shop is 30 miles away.
Sounds like a good reason to go for a ride to me... ;)

Personally, i would just get ones that are designed to fit without modding anything... but i dont personally like to mess around with anything that could eff up motor operation.

Oh, and +1 on checking the gap manually using a gapper tool. They're not always correct when you receive them.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Gotcha. If you use the spark plug tool that came with the factory tool pouch you wouldn't need to do that. I found out the same thing with mine, regular sockets are too thick so you have to use their cheap piece of crap tool to get them out.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, i would just get ones that are designed to fit without modding anything... but i dont personally like to mess around with anything that could eff up motor operation.
The Champions fit without modding anything. But the previous plugs had the nipples removed, so I took them off the new ones, too. :deadhorse:

TOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUU!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Its a generic clip that is required for some boot types and not others. What isn't being answered? Do you need me to be a prick while I answer your questions? All that chrome makes you a poser, your spark plugs are fine. Feel better?

·
Registered
694 Posts
now thats funny

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a generic clip that is required for some boot types and not others.
That is all you needed to say. The rest is just trolling... :eyeroll:

Thanks for the input, streak07! That kind of useful information, along with the crass remarks, makes you the perfect replacement for Tom!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Glad I could help. And if you had less chrome to polish you'd have your plugs properly gapped by now. :bling: Poser.

I could get used to this.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Glad I could help. And if you had less chrome to polish you'd have your plugs properly gapped by now. :bling: Poser.

I could get used to this.
:killingme

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Thanks for the morning laugh Streak07. Man, I sure do miss Tom.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Though your questions are answered (I think), let me add... I would stick with NGK plugs for many reasons, but one is they are great plugs and made for the foreign market, especially the motorcycle market. The Iridium plugs are excellent long lasting plugs and can just about go the life of the bike.

Most plugs are generally pre-gapped for specific applications. Though, as Quetz indicated, sometimes they can be off and it's good to check. IMO, I have found the NGK plugs to be dead on and never heard/read about anyone requiring to re-gap them.

The nipple is no big deal. It's just the type of clip (size) inside the boot which determines the type to use. This is why they make them removable. Obviously, you are aware the MS boot clip is designed for the small threaded end of the plug and too small for the bigger nipple.

As Quetz stated again, the 30 mile trip to the dealer is a good reason for a ride and IMO, worth it for NGK plugs. Also, it wouldn't have hurt to waited a few days thus allowing the opportunity to order online for better prices.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to Meanie and billybobby for the positive and useful info. Exactly what I was looking for. :alcy:

I knew there were guys on here willing to help without insults and name-calling.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts