RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share an experience with Soupys Performance (http://www.soupysperformance.com/homepage.html) I had over the weekend.

Long story short: I rode 4.5 hour to Michigan to get a custom lowering link built by Mike Brandt at Soupys Performance. This was my first time riding in medium to heavy rainfall and was certainly an experience to remember. Got to my destination at about 8:45AM and Mike was able to custom build a lowering link for my bike by 3:15PM. Mike also went as far as lowering the front and installing his adjustable kickstand onto my bike. The look and feel of the bike was definitely confidence inspiring. Using my bike to model the prototype version, I received the lowering link, kickstand, installation and front drops without charge.

I rode back in heavy rainfall through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and back into Wisconsin. I was pleasantly surprise at how relatively dried I stay during the entire 9 hours trip to and back in the rainfall.

If anyone is looking to drop his/her 09 Ninja by an inch, Soupys Performance now has an option for you. There is one other company out there that sells a 3 inch drop link but you'll want to avoid that. I had it installed on my bike before Mike installed his and the 3 inch drop was overkill even for my 28 inch inseam.

Thought I share my weekend road trip. Safe ride everyone.

Added some pics for visual purpose:

Lowered

Adjustable kickstand

·
Registered
746 Posts
the 3 inch drop was overkill even for my 28 inch inseam.
That would seem like overkill. I have around 28" inseam too and I would think an inch drop would be more than enough to have the feet down. Also with the right footwear the 1" drop should be mint.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any noticeable difference in handling? That's my main concern although my 27" inseam likes the idea.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any performance gain from this? or is it purely height related/cosmetic?
Firstly, I don't track the bike so don't know anything about a performance gain but I did it solely for the purpose of being able to put my left foot down without sliding one cheek off the seat at every stop. I tried to mimick the seat height of one of the bigger Kawasaki SS bike (can't remember which one now). I was able to put the balls of my feet on the showroom floor and liked how it felt. It was a compromise between flat footing both feet to tip toeing. Even on bad camber roads, I feel much more comfortable putting one foot down and having it solidly in place compared to sliding off the bike and holding it up with one foot.

Any noticeable difference in handling? That's my main concern although my 27" inseam likes the idea.
Mike Brandt dropped my fronts to maintain geometry as best as he could do it. I can't tell if it matches factory geometry or not but I haven't notice a dramatic change in handling. I can still take corners as well as I was able to prior to the 1 inch height drop. I haven't measured the rake and trail of the bike after the height drop but I didn't notice any abnormalities while riding back from Michigan to Wisconsin at various speeds up to 80mph (GPS readout) in the medium to heavy rainfall. I'll have a friend help me measure the rake and trail and update later this weekend.

Personally, I think the 1 inch drop hasn't changed the handling of the bike that much if any. You do have to make sure that the fronts and rear maintain rake and trail geometry. That was something I discussed with Mike Brandt at SoupysPerformance prior to the bike being dropped.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the 09/10 bikes, but I know that everyone I have seen with an 06-08 had their front ends set up incorrectly. The manual says to have the fork tubes come up 10MM above the top triple, while the dealers were setting them up flush with the top triple. When I "ficed" mine, the change was very noticeable, as it used to feel heavy going into turns, becuase the rear was lower than the front.

Check the service manual for the 09 and see what it says.

·
Registered
371 Posts
AJ, that was the case with the very first set of bikes out. But it has changed. Sitting them flush is stock.

·
Registered
384 Posts
AJ, that was the case with the very first set of bikes out. But it has changed. Sitting them flush is stock.
I'm going to have to double check, but I believe my 09 is supposed to be up 10 mm. It came from the dealer flush, and I actually watched the tech. put my bike together. Didn't know about it then, otherwise, I would have had him fix it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to have to double check, but I believe my 09 is supposed to be up 10 mm. It came from the dealer flush, and I actually watched the tech. put my bike together. Didn't know about it then, otherwise, I would have had him fix it.
If you don't mind, please update on this thread whether or not the 09 also need the 10mm front forks drop as recommended by the factory. This will help me to make sure I take that into account when measuring the rake and trail this weekend. Any modification will take into account the 10mm. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you don't mind, please update on this thread whether or not the 09 also need the 10mm front forks drop as recommended by the factory. This will help me to make sure I take that into account when measuring the rake and trail this weekend. Any modification will take into account the 10mm. Thanks in advance.
I must have been high. I swear I saw it someplace, thought it was in my owner's manual, but no. It's probably in the service manual if anyone out there has an '09 manual.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question about the 3" lowering link. (My wife has a 25" inseam) Did you loose too much suspension travel?
The 3 inch drop was too much for me. I felt every nick and bumps on the road wtih acute clarity. So it's "Yes" to answer your question. I didn't like it after having it on for 3 weeks of riding and returned it to stock. The one inch drop was plenty for me and is just the right amount.

I think that dropping 1-2 inches max and having your stock seat redone by Spencer's should allow your wife to ride it comfortably.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
did they give you an estimate of how much this kit would run? And how much labor cost would be? Time to install?

It sounds like the best way to lower a bike, and the way that they did the whole thing sounds like it will be hard to tell a big difference from stock... until you put your foot down!

I guess the next step for those who want more than 1 inch lower would be the shaved seat or the Kawi lowered seat.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did they give you an estimate of how much this kit would run? And how much labor cost would be? Time to install?

It sounds like the best way to lower a bike, and the way that they did the whole thing sounds like it will be hard to tell a big difference from stock... until you put your foot down!

I guess the next step for those who want more than 1 inch lower would be the shaved seat or the Kawi lowered seat.
Soupys Performance list the kit for $71.00. Again, I got mine done for free because Mike at Soupys Performance used my bike to create the newer links that fits the 2006-2011 models. From start to finish, I arrived at Mike's place around 8:45AM and received Mike's page to pick up the finished bike at 3:15PM. Do keep in mind that Mike had to modified and re-create the kit to fit newer 2009-2011 models. An educated guess suggest that it may take 2-3 hours with a buddy.

I rode a 615 mile roundtrip on Tuesday and the bike handled extremely well in various degree of riding. Since I'm no expert, I can't say that its handling was lesser than stock or better but the bike was responsive and flickable at low speeds up to 90-95mph. I'll be taking the bike to a friend this weekend to have rake and trail measured and compare it to stock setting. With the 1 inch drop in the rear, my front forks were dropped about 21-23MM in the front. I'll get correct measurement this weekend when we measure the rake and trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts