RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought the denali soundbomb horn. Man its huge, I just wanted to know for those who installed one or another brand, did you put it back on the oem socket or somewhere else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey there,

You might want to check out this Ninja 650 Air Horn Install DIY, you'll probably find it useful. I've installed both the Hella Supertones and the Nautilus Air Horn, and yeah, aftermarket horns can be a real pain to install due to size.

What do you mean by "on the OEM socket"? Do you mean the mounting point, or electrically? I mounted mine to the engine mount bracket which was the only place where it was physically possible to put it, pretty much (see the link above for pics). If you mean electrically, definitely use the OEM horn pigtail to send power to a relay. The OEM wiring is NOT sufficient for an aftermarket horn. The OEM horn takes about 3 Amps, whereas an aftermarket air horn is closer to 23 Amps. It will sound on the OEM wiring, but you are liable to either blow the fuse, burn the wiring or just get less sound out of it if you do.

In any case, good luck with the project. To be honest, it's a pretty big PITA to install, but of all my mods, it's possibly my favorite.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed the soundbomb mini in the same location as the stock horn. It seemed to make a big difference and it runs on the stock wiring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed the soundbomb mini in the same location as the stock horn. It seemed to make a big difference and it runs on the stock wiring.
Be careful using the stock wiring. The new horn may pull more current and blow fuses. Most folks use a relay in place of the horn and wire the new horn to the battery, through the relay, with an in-line fuse.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The mini was designed for stock wiring from my understanding. It seems like most people just use it stock. My friend's Ninja 250 and and 300s have no problems with the stock wiring with it either. The full size one definitely needs more power though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I might have to look into one then. I’ve had the “pleasure” of honking at someone on the highway and they never even heard me. Stock horn sucks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I might have to look into one then. I’ve had the “pleasure” of honking at someone on the highway and they never even heard me. Stock horn sucks.
The mini really isn't much louder then stock. It is a little louder. The main difference is it's a lower tone so it sounds more like a car horn then a moped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts