RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Z1000 sound identical to 600 or 1000cc supersport bikes with aftermarket exhaust or is there a difference?

To me, all the 600cc japanese bikes sound pretty similar, and it's an awesome sound..

But the Z1000 doesn't rev as high, the engine is tuned differently, so I was wondering how the thing sounds?

In your opinion, does it sound louder or quieter, "better" or not as good as a typical Japanese 600cc or 1000cc bike?

(side question - can anyone here tell apart a 600cc and a 1000cc Japanese sportbike in terms of the sound? To me they sound about the same, the 1000cc not sounding any more impressive)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, right on, cool idea!

I can't really tell from sound clips though - I'm more interested in hearing from people who own the bike - does it sound like the other Japanese ss bikes with or without the AM exhuast?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm saying I can't tell much from those sound clips - maybe its just my computer having lousy sound..

·
Registered
598 Posts
Unfortunately, if your running some internal speakers or low quality stuff, someone making a great recording isn't gonna help you much. Maybe borrow some speakers or check out a friends computer! :alcy: Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
It's an inline 4-cylinder engine with a standard crank... how different can it sound? The Z stops screaming at 11K, while SS bikes can grab another octave... It's never going to give you the hard-on that many get from the sound of a twin, a triple, or an exotic. But like a woman, I prefer the thrill I get out of thrashing her around regardless of what she screams while I'm doing it!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Oops... double post... :silly:

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's an inline 4-cylinder engine with a standard crank... how different can it sound? The Z stops screaming at 11K, while SS bikes can grab another octave... It's never going to give you the hard-on that many get from the sound of a twin, a triple, or an exotic. But like a woman, I prefer the thrill I get out of thrashing her around regardless of what she screams while I'm doing it!
well put LOL!!

Like he said.. the Z sounds like most any other inline 4 out there, but it is a deeper sound than most largely due to the lower revs compared with a SS bike. The different can design will make more difference than the engine aside from that. If you really need to here it find a guy with a ZX-10 w/ muzzy, same for a ZX6 and Z1k. Probably harder to than it sounds.. but at the same rev they will sound very similiar, pitches will vary slightly, but good luck telling it apart without a mic. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Z sounds different than other I4's if you keep the original header and put some slips on it. I have Muzzy cans and it's sounds amazing, I get so many complements on it.... a very deep, bass-y rumble at idle and very throaty while being revved up. Put a performance 4-2-1 exhaust set-up on it and it sounds like every other SS bike. It's just a FI zx9r motor anyways, different cams but it's really not a unique engine per-say. I debate on going to a 4-2-1 set up but the thing is it looks/sounds great with duals, and no matter what you do to it a real SS liter bike is going to spank it anyways. Find the curves and have your revenge :FIREdevil

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Z sounds different than other I4's if you keep the original header and put some slips on it. I have Muzzy cans and it's sounds amazing, I get so many complements on it.... a very deep, bass-y rumble at idle and very throaty while being revved up. Put a performance 4-2-1 exhaust set-up on it and it sounds like every other SS bike. It's just a FI zx9r motor anyways, different cams but it's really not a unique engine per-say. I debate on going to a 4-2-1 set up but the thing is it looks/sounds great with duals, and no matter what you do to it a real SS liter bike is going to spank it anyways. Find the curves and have your revenge :FIREdevil
You're talking the pre-2010 Z1000 then?

I love the sound of I-4 Japanese sportbikes actually - I love the sound of twins, Ducati's, and triples also, but I wouldn't say they sound any better, just different..

·
Registered
156 Posts

I love the sound of I-4 Japanese sportbikes actually - I love the sound of twins, Ducati's, and triples also, but I wouldn't say they sound any better, just different..
So true. At times, I lust after the sound of a twin. I also like the sound of my thumper, but the smooth as silk sound of the the I-4 can be pretty intoxicating as well..especially in the higher revs. With the right cams I-4's can sound pretty cool at idle ('tick-over' for you Brits). I love the lumpty lump idle of the ZX14. Haven't listen to many Z's as there aren't as many on the road in Japan.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Well, yeah.... but even the new Z has a dual set-up that wont sound like the 4-2-1 of a SS. The new Z would be an 1/8th mile monster but like every other Z with loose to aerodynamics eventually.

Best sounding motor? Perhaps the gear driven vfr800?

Worst sounding? Any I4 with one of those cheesy hot-bodies slash-cut "exhausts"....or just a gsxr with the muffler removed from the cat. Squid-power :thud:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im a little disappointed with the sound of my akras,they look great but arent much louder than the originals TBH.I'll have to get the akra headers

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the issue with the new Z is the ridiculously beefy manifold. I took a few spins around the block with no cans on the bike, and it was loud, but in a droning more annoying kind of way. Cans went right back on the bike. I think I'm gonna have to wait for a good full system with dual pipes. Too much sound trapped in the manifold.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Im a little disappointed with the sound of my akras,they look great but arent much louder than the originals TBH.I'll have to get the akra headers
Cut them down, works everytime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts