RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does this look setup correctly for a 185lb rider? The rear shock has a ring. That starts out short and then gets taller.

Now if i understand this correctly. The more weight you have the more you want the band to be on the thicker area? Next to that little rectangular square with 2 small indent circles?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes. You are adding pre-load to the spring. I'm on the light side for the suspension (148lbs.), but for the rear of my bike I just kept "tightening"/adding pre-load 'till it wasn't bouncy or springy feelin'. I think I have it at the 3rd notch. Hope that helps.

Brian

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... wasn't really sure if the ring should be on the thicker side or the thinner side per wait.(weight) Maybe I can't read :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mines on 7 all the way up. No comment lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new here (but not a new rider) so I can't post a new thread yet but this thread is related to my question.

I'm around 200lbs in regular clothes (I never weighted my gear) and if a fellow who is 185 has to up the preload all the way, am I going to be busting my kidneys on this bike if I buy one?

I plan to use it on the abundant twisties in my area plus the pothole riddled interstates.

·
Registered
72 Posts
am I going to be busting my kidneys on this bike if I buy one?
I weigh 210 lbs on a good day. I normally set my rear spring to setting 5 when solo and carrying no extra load. I bump it up to 6 or 7 depending upon how much is stuffed into my cases. I consider it max-stuffed when I carry a laptop, work tool bag, rain gear, lunch with a couple beverages, extra jacket and gloves, and some little stuff like maps and extra earplugs. With all this, position 7 has been fine for me. Granted, I'm not riding super-aggressive when I'm carrying this load.

Riding 2-up is another story, and feels like it needs more pre-load than position 7. But, it doesn't keep me from enjoying 2-up, and only bottom-out the suspension when I hit an occasional driveway transition or big bump a little too fast.

I would think you would be fine riding solo and lightly to moderately loaded, even if you like things a little stiffer than me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts