RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a zr7 and found the front to be quite vague, soft and with a habit of wandering slightly in corners. to combat this i have dropped the forks by 9mm and fitted some aftermarket bars which pull me more forward thus putting a bit more weight over the front.
will changing the front tyre from a 120/70x17 to a 120/60x17 cause any problems to the handling, i,m thinking it will just reduce the height of the front slightly . am i right or way off the mark?
rest of the bike fantastic dont know whether to fit twin headlamps, suggestions please.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I use body weight to get it through the corners and it works pretty good. It doesn't take much, I can usually get away with just dropping the inside shoulder and leaning in to it along with a little push on the inside grip and it usually responds real good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, just checked out the how to section and i cant beleive it is that easy!
1, will i be able just to fit a spacer in the top without removing all the tube{scared i,ll damage or lose something}.instead of putting the spacer at the bottom?
2, will any oil come out.
3, is it that easy!

once again thanks, other forums are not as free with their input

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
1) i'd put it on the bottom, that way you have a nice even metal spacer pushing on the top cap
2) you shouldn't see any oil
3) even with putting the spacer ont eh bottom it's that easy!

get a socket and a freind to help you get the caps back on and be careful no to cross tread. that's the only tough part.

scott :)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
This is just speculation, but if you want to run a lower profile front the wheel from a ZX6E/ZZR600 might fit. Both run 41mm conventional forks.

Front Tyre Size 120/60 ZR 17
Rake Angle 24.5 degrees
Front Wheel Travel 120 mm

Wheeltravel-f/r 130/130 mm

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Wayne, sorry to chime in late, but, what other bikes have you ridden ? The ZR vague, wandering ? This sounds like it may be more of a specific problem on your bike. Is Your ZR new or used ? The front end has a slight tendency to dive. And, it bobs a bit in fast bumpy tight sweeps. But I've always found it to be like turning on rails more than a wanderer. Now, I know it's not a sport bike. And I know the front end can be made alot better with mods. Hell, the whole bike is like a rolling platform for modifications.

But again, what is your reference ? I really think that if it's seat of the pants, the bike has a defect, especially if it wanders ! If your reference is a tight sport bike, then maybe it's just the softer chaise of the ZR, do the mods, play with the suspention a little to tune it better.

Tony

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
In an earlier thread Wayne mentioned he came off a CBR400 Honda. Of course a standard ZR-7 steers like a battleship compared to one of those little beauties.

The good news is with a Hyperpro front end upgrade the Zed can be made to hold a pretty good line. I have to agree that in standard form it understeers like all get out, and feels like it has a hinge in the middle. :(

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats right the cbr4 when the oil was uprated to 15w was like a train on rails. the 7 is a 1999 model but there is no fault just got to get used to a different riding style. i,m gonna try the spacer mod to prevent a bit of dive. thanks for the feedback

1 - 9 of 9 Posts