RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought id share a accident that happened in my neck of the woods 2 days ago. A 40 year old man was out celebrating 1 year of being alcohol free, so he decided to drink on it(didnt really get that but whatever). He ended up getting trashed and left with his two cousins, he left in his durango and the other two left in their s10. A few miles down the road they decide to race(you can probably see where this is going) they both toped a hill doing approx 90 mph where the man in the durango in the oncoming traffics lane meets a couple riding a vtx 1300. He hit them head on, they where traveling approx 60 in the other direction. The impact severed both of their left legs completely off. the woman went up and over the car, and the man was thrown into the ditch. This is where the already sad story gets worse. The two cousins that werent drinking, get out grab their cousin out of the truck and leave(one later turned himself in, saying he couldnt get the screaming of the two bikers out of his head) When the paramedics finally arrived more than an hour later( according to best estimates) the woman was taking her last breaths. The man slipped into coma late last night and has not regained consciousness since. (he is not expected to live) They have the driver in custody as of 5 pm today, although he denys any involvement.

Just thought id share, I dont guess i really have to say it here, but if your drinking stay wherever you are. I was nearly killed 3 years ago in a similar incident, but luckily i was in a truck. Then i heard about thiis happening just 3 miles from where i live and it brings all the memory's back... so be safe out there guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sad story, but thanks for sharing.

I agree with what you said about staying where ever you are when drinking. I made a deal with my wife that if I decide to drink that I stay at that location until it closes. If I still do not feel like I can drive safely the 2 or 3 miles to my home, then I call her or walk. BTW, If I am on my bike, then she knows I will not be doing any drinking, at all, on that day.

Hopefully, someone will learn something from your story. Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
when I was young and dumb I used to drink and ride. Went to the hot clubs in Hollywood, got buzzed and rode fast...
Every single accident I had (worse required a very painful procedure to deal with a raspberry on my hip) happened after I'd been drinking. I never made the connection to alcohol, blamed it on bad luck. I made the connection when watching the film they showed in my MSF class a few years back. They showed the things that alcohol effects and the order that it occurs. Things like good judgment, reaction times, ability to see in the dark, etc go to hell with alcohol.

That I am still alive points to there being a lot of luck.

It was so common to drink and drive back then.
There's still a ton of encouragement to drink when you go out these days; hell, the bars don't make the big $$$ by selling water or ginger ales!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Could you share where you live?

A driving instructor told me a statistic that said 1 out of 10 folks on the road is under the influence of something on any given day, and I believe it was 2 or 3 out of 10 on weekends.

Think about how many cars you see when you are out riding this weekend.

·
Registered
806 Posts

A driving instructor told me a statistic that said 1 out of 10 folks on the road is under the influence of something on any given day, and I believe it was 2 or 3 out of 10 on weekends.

Wow...that's pretty eye-opening

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've been out soooooo many times on my bike during the weekends when I see drunk drivers coming home out of their cars where I hangout that it always makes me go home even later cause I don't want to get hit (hooray run on sentence).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Outside Little Rock, AR in a small town called Perryville.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Outside Little Rock, AR in a small town called Perryville.
I'm heading over to Horseshoe bend, AR the first week in October. I will be riding extra cautiously. Strange, but the reason I asked is because I had this fleeting thought that you were describing something that happended in AR. It was probably just because I was planning to ride there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is horrific. I am thankful for my life after reading that. One of the things that helps keep me safe is being a member here. The threads like this one and all of the other personal accident threads are a helpful way to remember to always try and be as safe as possible, especially in the company of other vehicles, seen or unseen. As far as I can tell, our own temptations, whether they be chemical or just psychological, are some of the biggest factors.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow. I can't find the words to describe my feelings after that.

I've lined up on some back road for a quick dash with a buddy when the view is wide open, but I would NEVER think to crest a hill in the opposing lane. I shut off cresting a hill on my side of the road - I'm so scared of whats on the other side, let alone on the opposing lane of travel.

There are worse things than death - and I'm sure laying there for that estimated hour in such agony was one of them.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I shut off cresting a hill on my side of the road - I'm so scared of whats on the other side, let alone on the opposing lane of travel.

I hear you there. A lot of the country roads around here the road will take a turn right after the crest with no warning signs at all. Talk about pucker factor.

Plus most of the locals use both sides of the road when negotiating curves because there are so few vehicles on the roads that they get lazy. I've been halfway through a right hander hugging the edge of the road becuase a dump truck coming the other way is taking up half my lane. The truck behind me had to take the ditch.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
mmm, sobering indeed.

i never really developed a taste for alcoholic beverages. mrs sinsd and i occasionally take a little wine with dinner if others in our party do, and we do not object to sharing the cost if necessary. we'll also join in with a toast whenever one is offered.

the only time we bought wine when by ourselves was last year in barcelona, spain; we visited a highly recommended eatery and decided that a little white wine would go well with the fare. i don't think it amounted to any more than a 12 oz. bottle.

we do not keep any beer or wine or liquor in the house. ha, i'm not sure i understand the difference between red and white wine besides the color....LOL

·
Registered
540 Posts
I hear you there. A lot of the country roads around here the road will take a turn right after the crest with no warning signs at all. Talk about pucker factor.

Plus most of the locals use both sides of the road when negotiating curves because there are so few vehicles on the roads that they get lazy. I've been halfway through a right hander hugging the edge of the road becuase a dump truck coming the other way is taking up half my lane. The truck behind me had to take the ditch.
yeah that happens here too. single lane pa back roads.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
that reminds me of those great roads up in the Santa Ynez Valley. I used to do the wine tour thing all the time and Foxen Canyon Rd winds through the farms lands and vineyards. It's a great road, though I've only run it in my Shelby, not the bike (yet!).

I had to make sure to get filled up at breakfast or lunch time at a diner in Buellton before heading out for wine tasting. On a bike I would definitely need to spit out each taste! Some of the tasting rooms will pour up to 8 different wines, which, if swallowed, would make you near the legal limit in no time.

And when I do run those country roads in the car I make sure to turn on my headlights. On the bike I would probably keep my high beams on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Flip Side

A few days ago in my neck of the woods, a 22 year old rider on his friend's borrowed sport bike decides to drive a little fast through a small town at night. The local on duty officer goes to stop him and stupid decides to flee. Stupid runs the stop sign posted at a major 2 lane highway and t-bones a cager killing himself, the driver of the cager, and seriously injuring the cage driver's passenger wife. Alcohol involved? Unknown at this time but either way........STUPID!!!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Local story being discussed here right now...

Guy is riding 2-up on a major highway. He is speeding. Cop gets up behind him and lights up the cherries. Guy on the bike guns it. Passenger flies off. Passenger gets run over by several cars. No one stops. Not the rider. None of the cars that hit the passenger. That guy makes me embarrassed to be associated with him as a fellow rider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Obviously, running is never a good idea. Not worth killing yourself or worse, someone else.

Although there may be less traffic, the drunk driver are out at night. We've had quite a few drunk ppl go down wrong ways or crossing the median and killing ppl here in MN this year.

You can be the best/safest rider out there, but you can't control how others drive.

·
Banned
679 Posts

The statistics in new york are 1/10 on the weekdays and 1/3 on the weekends.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts