RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a rear tire for my 2003 z1000, I was going to get a set of pirelli corsas or mich. powers. But I really was woundering about the shinko's. I've heard alot of bad stuff about them like how they are straight drag tire etc etc. and how they suck. But no one seems to have actually bought them. So I took a 133 dollar chance and am surprised. I went from a 190 50 17 to a 190 55 17 and I really like the taller profile, that being said. The new tire is pretty damn heavy but the rubber is pliable and once warm pretty sticky. I live here in Columbus Georgia and its pretty damn hot all the time so warm up time is like 30seconds when the ambient road temp is 120 deg lol. :laugh: So after almost 1000 miles I really like this tire for what it is. :woot: I ride my bike pretty hard and hit the twisties at a pretty good pace, A few early morning freeway runs on the on and off ramps at 65-70mph when no ones awake.
Pro's:
Sticks really good and still has a little stick left at full lean
It seems to be wearing very well
It is maintaining its shape well
Works well in wet weather

Cons:
At full lean its a little squirly on the gas
Its heavy
The bike seems a little more lethargic with this new tire, it may be the weight or the 55 vs 50 profile or a combination of both Im not sure. I do know that my speed is higher at lower rpm now.

So all in all, I think the shinko is a pretty good deal for 133 bucks. I had to try it and wouldnt mind trying another type of their tire like the stealth tires. At this price point its affordable to try different tire styles by these guys. I've heard they bought up yokohamas tire molds and such. Dunno if this is true or not. Well I hope this helps someone looking for a new tire and trying to save some money. Just my :2cents: thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya man no problem, I was just so damn curious I couldnt help myself. The LBS here sells a **** ton of them. I've seen one common thing with them though, with the lower profile tires on the wider rims they look very flat. Nothing like M. Pilots or the like. I still think they're pretty decent especially for all round riding, when these wear out I'll go with the stealths front and back and drop back to 190 50 to see the difference.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wow, you're from Columbus!? I'm right around the corner in Albany! Hit me up when you wanna go riding sometime, It's not too far for me to go over there if ya'll got some good curvy roads :)

Well... back to the main topic. I've been riding shinkos for a couple years. <I'm poor. I usually order them on Ebay or some online shop and have it shipped here, then take it to my mechanic and he pop them on for $20 if I take the wheels off already. So $160 for front and rear is a Super Sweet deal since BT-16s are about $160 for JUST a rear.

Anywho, At first... I was running the Shinko Advance (005). It was pretty good, sticks well. I rode it down to Orlando and Tampa area a couple times and took some twisties down there and it handled well. The advance last about 4000-5000 miles per rear, the front get changed every other rear, so I guess about 10K.

Lately I'm commuting more and more, less curves, more straight rides. So at 4000-5000 miles, I change twice a year. So I swapped to Shinkos Raven (009), which is suppose to be a sport/touring tire because it has dual compound.

It lasted me 7K miles before showing wires. Others with these tires have reported 10K miles on the rear! The only problem I can see is the tire is a lot flatter than my other tires, but it's still 190/50. So I dont know, it still do pretty well in the curves though. I scraped the crap out of my belly pan and I can feel the tire still sticking well, so i think my riding skills will run out before the tire stop sticking.

I think I'm going to stick with the Raven since it's very economical for my riding style, but if you ever hit up the track, you probably want to run something else. Unless it's a drag strip...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang your not far at all only 60miles or so, we should go hit up pine mountain, I know a few good stretches of road that u can top out the bike on, but I'm more into the twisties, lately with school I've been deprived so I've been doing my late night runs on the cloverleaf on/off ramps running through columbus. Ya im pretty poor myself but try to afford the best I can, I was weary of these tires but **** I am very impressed. The only downside to this Apex tire is that is so effin heavy! I dunno. I had a 190 50 17 Maxxis on the rear before that came with the bike from the last owner and it was so light I was in awe, mind you it was so flat that you couldnt go more than maybe 45-55 or pushing it 60mph. There was no real radius to the tire it sucked. This new tire was a revelation, I can run steady 65+ through turns and if I hang off starting to touch on 70mph, sweepers are super steady at 80 no problem. I just want some of the grunt back. Hey give me a shout my email is
[email protected]
Hit me up and we can go riding, you know anyone else that rides?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used to ride Shinko 005's I used them for two sets front and rear and they were ok. I forked out a bit more money for Michelin Pilot Power Road 2's and will never go back. They stick better, have a much rounder profile, and last much longer. I think I got 4-5k out of my shinko rear and about 10 out of the front, but by that time the front tire had no feel from it. I got 10k out of my Pilot Power roads front and rear and got a nail in my front, and replaced the set with another set of Pilot Power Road 2's and love them. Trust me I ride 600 miles of freeway a week and play in the canyons on the weekend and these tires are great! Wont be going back to Shinko's

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'll have to check out those Pilot Power Road 2's... heard a lot of good things about them!

And I'll shoot you an email Carl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey man look forward to hearing from ya, Anti Hero, so the PP's are pretty kick ***? Awesome, I wanted a rounder profile thats the only thing Im not liking about the shinko's they are more flat, but other than that not to bad.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey man look forward to hearing from ya, Anti Hero, so the PP's are pretty kick ***? Awesome, I wanted a rounder profile thats the only thing Im not liking about the shinko's they are more flat, but other than that not to bad.
Correct, I liked them but that was until I tried the PP's. You wont regret the upgrade trust me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts