RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I'm located in South Orange County (Rancho Santa Margarita), CA. How about a nice ride over Ortega Highway (Or?) the weekend before the holiday?

Philip
'00 ZR-7

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
What's the Hwy number? Where's it at? I've heard of it, I just can't place it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
We're suppose to be getting rain Thursday night, Friday and possibly some over the week-end. I gotta do some dirt riding with the kids anyway.

But that's the kind of ride I was looking for to get some of the L.A. and San Diego area riders together. That's about as close to middle ground as we're gonna find, get in some good riding time and not totally blow a 1/2 day on the Interstate to get there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been anxious to get together with some other ZR-7 riders
(the only one I've seen is mine and the '02 in the showroom).

I think this weekend may be bad but the weekend between the
holidays (12/29 or 12/30) might be good.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I'll see how my schedule goes (what my wife says).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try for 29th or 30th?

If it's going going to rain this weekend, what do you say to Netlore's idea about the 29th or 30th? That weekend would work pretty good for me.

We could meet at the Chevron station/Denny's right on the freeway overpass at 10AM. It takes about a hour to get to Lake Elsinore. Maybe we could do an early lunch at the lookout Roadhouse?

More information about the area:

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/OrtegaHighway.htm

http://www.lookoutroadhouse.com/

Should we invite a few '92 ZR750 to join in?

Philip
'00 ZR-7

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I'll let you know for sure during that week. I know we're gonna have to go break in some of our Christmas presents. But I'll know more closer to that week-end.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Netlore, etc

Let's try for the 29th! Man it's raining cats and dog outside!:yell:

I can't try my new helmet until it stops...:mecry:

Happy holidays!

Philip
'00 ZR-7

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about the 29th TO the 31st?!?!

I sure wish the weather was warmer! I'd be up for it...

I have the 31st off too!:angel:

Philip

·
Registered
418 Posts
Let's try to play it by ear (or should I say weather man).
None of us want to ride when it's raining. If it looks good
on the 29th, I'm open to ride. If it looks good on the 31st,
I'm open to ride. Gotta test out my new upgrades. :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
We're thinking the same. I heard the long range forecast is rain for next week-end also. Let's see what happens.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey, what's the altitude on Ortega Highway (74)? I'd like to ride it this weekend (looks like rains are done with), but if it gets up in altitude much, you get rain that never dries out and even snow. At least on the mountain roads near me. I'd hate to make a trip down there on the super-slab and have to turn around a third of the way up a nice twisty road because of inclement weather and snow on the road.

Thanks,

Emrah

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ortega Highway

No more than a three thousand feet or so at the most. I'd go with you if I didn't have some last minute shopping.:yell:

I will have to go riding tomorrow for sure if this weather keeps up! It is perfect outside!:angel:

Off to shop, not ride...:mad:

Philip

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Just got back from Ortega Highway (couldn't wait; I was bored). I don't think I want to go back on that road. Too many damned cars and they don't move out of your way. At least around here, cars give way at turnouts and there are enough long(ish) stretches to pass cars, legally or otherwise.

I spent a whole frustrating hour behind one schmuck or another deciding he/she was going to be the traffic police that day and dictate the speed limit, not to move over at all.

Plus, the road was still wet/damp in half of the turns, so I couldn't push much. If they were completely dry, I think my frustration factor would have been twice as high not being able to ride as fast as I'd like. No, I don't own the road, and the scenery is pretty nice, but when I want to push and ride fast, I'd appreciate a little cooperation from the cagers like around here.

Don't think I'll do that road again.:yell:

But... there are others like 78/79 etc. down there that are plenty fun and no where near the amount of traffic.

P.S. My friends back home don't call me "Captain Road Rage" for nothing. I consider it "crowded" if I'm stuck behind 1 car for more than a minute! I know, I know, patience...

Emrah

1 - 20 of 33 Posts