RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You have to join to see the thread.
+1 OP, post the details here so others can discuss. Although I think I've heard of what you're going to be referring to but I have never read a thread on a North American forum about the down pipe snapping.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

this what I was refering to.
ok this one is on an older model of the er6.
heres what some lads have said re snapped pipes.....

My downpipe snapped in this place last week on my 06 model after 20k miles. My warrantys run out now so I bought a new one for £300 and I'm fitting it myself. Where the downpipe slots in the silencer it has this stainless steel wool padding, does anyone know what this is? And where can you get it from? My parts dealer hadn't heard of it and the service manual don't mention it.

Looks like I've just joined this (not so) exclusive club .
Mine went this afternoon in the middle of exmoor of all places!
Sounds like a jet engine, popping and farting all over the place - also runs like a bag of spanners between 7 and 9k (as I discovered on a few overtakes while trying to get home pronto! )
When we looked at it I found a curtain of warm exhaust gas coming from around the joint with the bolt on, pretty much exactly as per the photos linked to in the early posts of this thread, and the two halves noticeably move independantly of each other when gently revved so I reckon it's definately snapped....
Luckily I don't need to ride it now and it's going for a service (and other warranty issues!) on tuesday.
Still not very impressed on a bike that's barely 13 months old and not yet passed 4000 miles.

Riding into work yesterday, my 07 model with 14,000 miles has sheered in exactly the same place. I rang the guy who normally looks after my bike, and he immediately told me it was a common fault, and advised me to speak to Kawasaki (bear in mind he was until recently an independant company, although he has recently become a Yamaha dealer, so could have just said I needed a new exhaust!). Spoke to Kawasaki UK, who stated they weren't aware of any problems !!!!

Another one to be added to the list here, 09 Er6f with 6,800 miles. Not ideal for a bike less than a year old.

and finnaly....

09 bike with only 2600 on the clock (is that a record?) and downpipe snapped clean through last night. Silencer still sat there rock solid whilst the downpipe moves a little, looks like metal fatigue issue to me. Going for service on Tuesday but as it's 220 mile ride I think I'm going to need to try and cobble together a temporary repair.

·
Registered
254 Posts
:Wow1: Pretty damn rusty, never heard of this other than you posting it, maybe an overseas thing ? :dunno: Just weld that chit up, problem solved...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
:Wow1: Pretty damn rusty, never heard of this other than you posting it, maybe an overseas thing ? :dunno: Just weld that chit up, problem solved...
That could do it. Most riders on this side of the pond don't ride in the rain at all so we probably have less rust. Maybe that is why the problem hasn't been reported over here?

Aren't the exhaust systems stainless? Now I'm even more paranoid about rust than I was before... I sometimes ride in the early winter or late winter with a bit of salt on the road. Although I try to avoid riding in the winter when the road is wet to avoid the salt spray.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
13,000 miles on my bike. I ride in the rain, but I don't park outside. No rust except for the cheap EBAY swingarm spool fasteners. I do keep my bike clean which also helps prevent rust.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My downpipe snapped in this place last week on my 06 model after 20k miles. My warrantys run out now so I bought a new one for £300 and I'm fitting it myself. Where the downpipe slots in the silencer it has this stainless steel wool padding, does anyone know what this is? And where can you get it from? My parts dealer hadn't heard of it and the service manual don't mention it.
Mine has 11 000 KM, it lives outside year round and has not broken yet - Thankfully.

In regard to the stainless steel wool, is it between the muffler inlet outlet of the header. Is it used to seal the tube?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine is ok just that others are having this problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
09 bike with only 2600 on the clock (is that a record?) and downpipe snapped clean through last night. Silencer still sat there rock solid whilst the downpipe moves a little, looks like metal fatigue issue to me. Going for service on Tuesday but as it's 220 mile ride I think I'm going to need to try and cobble together a temporary repair.

^^this guy has said that his pipe is clean with no rust at all.^^

maybe you guys remove the original silencer and put on a lighter silencer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts