RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm torn between the sportbars or the SM bars. I like the sportbars because they seem to be better engineered to be a "drop in" installation but I think the SM bars look better (more stock appearance). My question is for any owners of the SM bars. I've read on other sites that no matter how much you adjust them there will always be some contact with either the tank or fairings/gauge cluster. This is a definite no-no for me but I was wondering if they may have fixed the problems with the manafacturing since then. BTW, my bike is a 2008 and I love it!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm torn between the sportbars or the SM bars. I like the sportbars because they seem to be better engineered to be a "drop in" installation but I think the SM bars look better (more stock appearance). My question is for any owners of the SM bars. I've read on other sites that no matter how much you adjust them there will always be some contact with either the tank or fairings/gauge cluster. This is a definite no-no for me but I was wondering if they may have fixed the problems with the manafacturing since then. BTW, my bike is a 2008 and I love it!!!
I actually got the first set they made and had them on my 06 way back when it was totally stock and I never had any contact issues.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The thing that made up my mind was the fact that the Sportbars use clipon bars which are really cheap. So if you drop the bike and bend one you don't need to replace the whole handlebar, just one side. Whereas if you drop the bike on the SM bars and bend it, you have to buy a whole new one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing that made up my mind was the fact that the Sportbars use clipon bars which are really cheap. So if you drop the bike and bend one you don't need to replace the whole handlebar, just one side. Whereas if you drop the bike on the SM bars and bend it, you have to buy a whole new one.
Definitely makes sense. Plus I just noticed that Ninja650shop is offering free shipping and a 10% discount to forum members which will definitely help sway my decision. Only problem is though that I haven't been a member here but a few days (just got my bike last week) so I'm not sure if they will extend the offer to a newbie or not. I sent Jen a PM though to check. Also I saw another bike that had "Ninja" engraved on it instead of "sportbars" and was wondering if that was an option or not. On a side note I'd like to thank everyone here for all of the help and advice......makes it even more fun to own my 650R!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts