RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
It has been a while since i have posted here. Work will be keeping me very busy for this riding season and then the cafe racer project will be back on.

I took the bike out of winter storage today. winters here are VERY COLD. we are talking lows down to -25f ish and the month of Feb rarely goes above "0" degrees F.

the bike was stored in a carport under a cover.

I took a short +/- 1/2 mile ride to move things around a little and noticed something odd.

ALL of my hoses are leaking through the reinforcement cords. the hoses' exteriors all look brand new, but coolant is dripping out of the cords. I am assuming that the cold made the hose brittle and the rubber was cut where the end of the metal part is on the non-hose side.

Now the question:
are silicone radiator hoses worth the extra $30-$40 dollars or so? does anyone know the temp range of the material?

To replace all of the stock hoses is about $130 at www.jakewilson.com

the bike in question is a 2006 z750s.

thanks

L

·
Registered
319 Posts
Durion® Silicone Coolant Hose

Extra long-lasting hose constructed with silicone rubber. Ideal for extremely high temperature service in radiator, heater and other coolant transfer hose applications.

Excellent for extreme ambient and radiant temperature conditions.
Resists weathering, ozone, heat and coolant deterioration.
Silicone tube and cover resist prolonged exposure to under-hood and coolant heat.
Use PowerGrip SB clamps or silicone hose clamps.
Temperature rating: –70°F to +350°F (–56°C to +177°C)
Exceeds SAE 20R1 (Class A Standard Wall).
Packaging: 3-ft. lengths.
Caution: Not recommended for fuel or oil transfer applications.

NOTE: Silicone hose’s water permeation rate is 10 to 15 times greater than Gates Green Stripe (best stocker on the market) coolant hose.

Ref: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1498&location_id=1175

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks.

the site i looked at didn't have the low temp range. "-70", i think that will do.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's the same block so you would think so. I think the 1k has oil cooler incorporated into the rad and maybe the 750 doesn't so that could be the two extras.??? Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you order from that guy (in your ebay link) you will probably never get them. I ordered a set of black ones for my Z about a year ago. Paid for them. Guy called and said they are back ordered for a few weeks. A few weeks later I called back and they were still back ordered. I asked for a refund and for him to call me if they ever got in. It never happened. I believe someone else on here had a very similar experience with that seller as well.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, thanks for the warning. I sent an e-mail asking if Black was available, and he said no.

All of the hoses on the 750 are 1" ID hoses. I measured from the OD of the coolant pipe. Is that the same as the 1k?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts