RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks.
Well, after my 400-mile ride through and around the North Georgia hills yesterday the ZR-7 now has just a tick under 12,000 miles. For some time now I've noted a peculiar thing: when I start the bike--in neutral, on the centerstand--the rear wheel spins slowly for a while until the engine begins to warm. Once there is some heat in the engine the wheel comes to a stop. Again, this happens while the tranny is in neutral. Is there a problem? I also think the shift from neutral to first is rougher and louder than it should be, as is the occassional downshift while moving. Any wisdom from those of you more mechanically inclined and/or experienced than I is appreciated.
--Tim

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Tim,

I just checked mine. From a cold start, in neutral, the tire does not spin.

Scott mentioned reading the previous thread, I'll boil it down for you. Do you have too much oil? If not then only thing I can think of try 10/40.

Andy

·
Registered
304 Posts
The clutch plates are sticking together/dragging. Just about all bikes will do this when the oil is cold. Try going to a lighter wt. or synthetic oil...or don't worry about it.

Later,

Philip

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was just noticing this on my bike.

I lubed my chain and adjusted the clutch and this was not happening. I then changed my oil (20w50 Castrol GTX) and was running the engine to get the oil everywhere before shutting it down to check the oil level and the wheel was spinning. I'll check when I get home tonight with the oil hot.

·
Silver Member
154 Posts
I use 20/50 and mine has always been a pain to roll backwards when cold. I can tell it's dragging. Once it's hot, things seem to loosen up. Oil level is normal and I've had is serviced twice by a mechanic I trust.

Just figured it was normal.

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
Chiming in late, but here goes...

When I bought my bike and the dealer was walking me through the controls, he mentioned what you are seeing. He said that, when the oil is cold, it would be thicker because the bike has a wet clutch it would drag a little. It was normal for the rear wheel to turn a bit at that point. He also mentioned that it was a good idea to work the clutch lever while in neutral a couple of times before shifting into first so that all of the clutch plates would get a coat of oil (it would make the shift into first easier/better).

It's when the bike is warm that you should expect the rear wheel to stop when everything is properly adjusted.

Hope it helps.

Craig

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, folks.
Sounds as though I don't have anything to worry about. To be clear, I use Spectro 10W-40 synthetic blend. It is also possible the oil level is a little high. I've never been able to get the level exactly correct. I only put 3 liters in to start and then start the engine, let it idle a bit, settle, and then check again. I've never poured the full 3.5 liters the manual calls for yet I manage to overfill it. I guess I'm not draining all of the old oil, although I warm it up thoroughly beforehand and let it drain until nothing more is running out. Oh well.
--Tim

·
Silver Member
154 Posts
After changing the bulbs in my gauges yesterday, I put the bike on the centerstand and cranked 'er up. In neutral, the back tire turned slowly.

I now think this is a safety feature.

I checked the tire as it was turning and found a couple blems....:) Might be getting close to time for new tires.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Help Me!

Hey guys,
I think that maybe the same thing is happening to my bike. It is just now due the 3000 mile oil change (not that, that has anything to do with the problem) but, two days ago I decided to take her out for a spin (over due-- hadn't riden in nearly two months--too cold) . I warmed her up as I usually do, jumped on and headed out. I couldn't shift into second gear! So brought her home and started tinkering. Finally got her to go into second; but not third, etc. I also noticed while tinkering that the rear wheel spins pretty fast in neutral. I thought that the shifter arm maight be broken because it doesn't spring back after changing a gear (up or down). I have to get the second service done anyway, but whatdaya guys think? :mecry:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks Andy:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts