RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually make it a point to wave at other bikers on the street. But when it comes to scooters, I'm not sure if that is something to do or just silly. Are scooters bikers?

There seems to be a lot of scooters in the New York City area.

:dunno:

2001 zr-7s
2002 cb-900 (gone)
1991 vx-800 (gone)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Half a wave, if they can't go full motorcycle, why should you go full wave? :)
I like that! :D

My sister has a Zuma 125 - goofy lookin' thing. I will ride with her anytime she wants because she's my sis, and we have a lot of fun doing it. Top speed is almost 60 so far, so me not getting out of 3rd is kinda frustrating, but eh.... family, ya know? She tries to wave at other bikers coming by, but they mostly wait and wave at me. She laughs, or flips them off...she's brash like that. One day, I pulled up next to her, and she says with a big smile, "I don't think they're taking me seriously!!", followed by a good laugh!! Gee, Ashley, it could be the scooter, or your helmet with pink flames on it, or both!!

If a scoot goes by and waves like we wave, then I'll return. If they do the arm up and flailing wave, then I'll smirk and ride by. Sorry to say, but I won't wave at Spyders. They aren't bikes. They aren't reverse trikes. They're 3-wheeled open-top cars, no matter how you look at 'em.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that! :D

My sister has a Zuma 125 - goofy lookin' thing. I will ride with her anytime she wants because she's my sis, and we have a lot of fun doing it. Top speed is almost 60 so far, so me not getting out of 3rd is kinda frustrating, but eh.... family, ya know? She tries to wave at other bikers coming by, but they mostly wait and wave at me. She laughs, or flips them off...she's brash like that. One day, I pulled up next to her, and she says with a big smile, "I don't think they're taking me seriously!!", followed by a good laugh!! Gee, Ashley, it could be the scooter, or your helmet with pink flames on it, or both!!

If a scoot goes by and waves like we wave, then I'll return. If they do the arm up and flailing wave, then I'll smirk and ride by. Sorry to say, but I won't wave at Spyders. They aren't bikes. They aren't reverse trikes. They're 3-wheeled open-top cars, no matter how you look at 'em.
Funny....
Half hearted wave it is then. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why not? Two (or three) wheels is two (or 3 wheels)wheels. I do. I even wave to the grumpy harley riders that don't wave back.

·
Registered
324 Posts
in the UK most of the people who drive scooters are what we call chav's and there bad people :D
also bikers don't like scooter riders, i think it all goes back to the mods and rockers culture of the 60s

so my answer is no

·
Registered
986 Posts
Biker's I'll wave too, unless its unsafe to take my hands off the bars, in which case I'l give a continental wave of the leg.
I'll nod at scooters, and if they're alert enough to spot the nod and wave back I'll wave too.
After all, a scooter rider is a prospective biker.

(or should that be
........ a scooter rider is a biker with no ambition;
..........a scooter rider is a car driver with sense;
......... a scooter rider is a biker with no pride)

·
Registered
167 Posts
No clutch = No wave

:cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
After reading this I think I may start waving at scooters. I rode a scooter before I got a bike, only because my parents wouldn't let me get a bike. It was the only way I could get on two wheels at the time, so I was happy. So who am I to say they don't deserve a wave? I know when I was riding the scooter and someone on a bike waved at me it felt awesome :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh I forgot the article I was reading, its some where on this site..... "ten things people dont tell you before you buy a bike" I think....

Talks about the waving at every bike on the street, and how theres a million other bikers, who you can and cant wave to and when it came to the scooters

he said its really hard to tell if they are a bike or a scooter from far, so when waving at a "potential" biker and you realize its a scooter last minuet you can quickly turn the wave into a flying bird. I think i laughed for a good minuet straight when i read that. like burst out laughing.

The whole presentation was much more impressive then mine, sorry if i blew it for you. lol

Yeah, I kinda do the head nod to everyone.... its cooler then the wave.

Mr. TooCool

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I see a lot of cute girls on scooters at the Gulf coast of FL, so, should I wave? Of course!

I love to be mid curve and wave. Just to see who is confident in their riding skills to wave back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe I am Mr. Niceguy, but I wave at anything on less than 4 wheels and things with 4 wheels if they are riding it. Trikes, mopeds, scooters, quads...even bicycles. Yup, I am Mr. Niceguy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why not wave? You come off as a jerk if you don't. Some folks just can't handle a bike anymore but still want to enjoy the open feel of two wheels. Others have their own reasons for riding a scooter. Man up and wave. Don't be a jerk.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I usually wait for scooter riders to initiate the wave and I will wave back. But I'll wave at anybody on bike... including grizzled, hard-assed Harley riders. Even if they don't wave back. And even if they only THINK they're grizzled and hard-assed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There seems to be a lot of scooters in the New York City area.
if there are as many as you say, which i wouldnt disagree since it is NYC, just keep this in your mind.... wether you wave or not keep in control of your motorcycle. there have been a few times where i was going to go a wave and the bike got a little wobbly. So that being said, just be careful since there are a lot of scooters and your hand will be off your handlebars a lot.

sorry just my :2cents:

·
Registered
135 Posts
If an actual wave isn't possible, I'll bob my head in response to a wave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I typically do not wave at scooters that are 50cc's or less. In Virginia it is allowed to ride scooters of 50cc's or less on main roads without motorcycle license, plates, registration, personal property taxes or insurance. IMO they are a death trap to the riders as I see more and more in speed zones of 45mph or greater and to top it off they create a nussance on the road by backing up traffic. So to answer the question...I wave to all riders with the exception of 50cc's or less (bicycles w/engines).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Depends on the hooters.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I dont wave at them, and it urks me when I wave at another biker, and it turns out to be a scooter with a sporty front fairing. I die inside a bit.

But Harleys and Busa's rarely wave back at me. Guess they feel that anything other than what they have is a equal to a scooter

1 - 20 of 55 Posts