RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately that I can get a 600 super sport about 4-5 years old for around $5k. I've always wanted one but never had one. I'd always chicken out and get the "cheaper" bike like an SV650, Ninja 650R, 'cause a new one was several thousand less than a Gixxer or ZX6R(I wasn't open to buying a used bike before). At age 38, I figure it's time to FINALLY get one. The 650R would still be my main bike-the SS would be a second one. But my rule is-if I can't pay it off in a year, then I don't want it. But 5k to pay off in a year is going to make $$$ really tight. I could use some of that money to do some things I've never accomplished on a motorcycle. Like an Ironbutt SS1000, 2,000+ mile road trip, weekend road trips to places I haven't been to on a bike... And I could get a new helmet, saddlebags, and rain suit to replace those aging items. What would you do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
unless you plan on going over 140mph on your bike, i'd go with the trips and bags and other goodies :). My good friend/boss just bought a 2009 New GSX-R 750, it's killing me to want one, but in the end I just think what can he do that I can't besides wheely, and maybe go .3 - .6 seconds to 60 faster than me :p. Just not worth the 300/mo he's paying with insurance, I'll keep my 120/mo with insurance :p.

You could always do what I decided instead of getting or working for a GSX-R now is just upgrade my bars to sport bars, get a chain cover fairing thing(forgot the name), and a seat cowl. Make it look alot more sporty. Other than that, no reason!

If you wern't going to hurt for money I'd say why not, but I wouldn't put yourself in a pinch just for a little bit a benefit. Wait or save up and do it a little furthur up down the road, you still have plenty of years of sport biking left!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It doesn't sound like you have a ton of extra money, burning a hole in your pocket.
So drop the idea.
I too would love a new GSX750, but after adding risers, a comfortable seat and touring screen I'd be out a lot of $$$. All to get something that my current bike can do, even though it doesn't look as cool!

Don't forget to include the cost of insurance. Often it will skyrocket with a SS bike, even if it's old.

I don't get why you feel you need a SS bike anyway. Just because you've never had one is not a reason. I've never had a Lamborghini, and even though I have the money there's no WAY I'd buy one!
I look for VALUE, which the 650R (and my Shelby) has in spades!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I can't ride an SS bike comfortably with glasses on, but if I had the space and money I would buy an '09 Kawi green ZX10R to park in the shop and take for an occasional ride. :)

Sounds like you would be a lot happier with a Concours 1400 than an SS bike based on the type of riding you want to do. Maybe a VFR with touring package would give you the sporting plus touring capability.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Note the name, 'supersport.' If you're racing, or you're such a good track rider that a Ninja is just not cutting it, go for it. Otherwise, don't bother. They're not as good as upright standards like the Ninja for just about every use outside of the track. They're not as comfortable for the road, hard luggage turns into a DIY project, they're less comfortable for passengers, the more aggressive stance is less optimal for riding in traffic, etc.

I think they're not as good as starter trackbikes, too. I like the Ninja's power and ergos for the track, and the lack of power means you have to learn something about lines, corner speed, and late braking in order to get around the track well. In general, too, it's a lot more fun to pass SS bikes on the Ninja than be on an SS bike and be passed by a Ninja.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I love my bike, although my first. At first I loved the look of my '06 red/silver bike, but I would love a more "sporty" look. After getting used to my riding position and sitting on a few SS bikes I love that feel. The feet are up more, and the tank is flatter so you can "tuck" better. The problem is I don't know how it would be on long rides.

The 650r has enough power to do anything legal in the US and enough to do much that is ilegal. The insurance is cheaper (I pay $40 a month for full coverage), mods are cheaper and there's a lower chance someone would steal it. GSX-R and CBR's are more poular than our 650's.

I don't know if I could justify spending over $500 on rearsets and "sport" handlebars. The previous owner put on new lower bars, but not sure how the "sport" bars would feel in comparison. One thing I have heard about our bikes is they are very jerky and uncomfortable to those who have "better" bikes for suspension, handling, etc. I may get my bike dyno'ed and get a power commander as the throttle is very jerky.

I think I would rather spend my money on a tard/dual sport, guns, gold/silver and more mods for my bike.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Having ridden several SS and the 650R; personall perference lead me to the 650R as a better overall bike. I have taken the Yamaha R1, Suzuki 750, and a Honda CBR600 to the streets for short rides and they are all extremely good rides. With that said, I have also taken these good rides onto the freeway for 300-500 miles rides and all I can say is that my neck and back screams blood murder to and from where ever I was going. On the 650R, you worried about your *** hurting on long rides but not only was my *** hurting; now my neck and back aches terribly from the SS lean forward riding position. I may be wrong but I think the SS bikes are great bikes for the track and short commutes in the cities. Riding in the lean position for more than 1 hour is bloody murder for my neck and back.

In part, when I purchased the 650R I had these three bikes to make my comparison against and chosed a bike with a more upright riding position. The 650R ergonomics works very well for my short frame of 5' 5". I can go into the full lean in burst of 30 minutes without neck or back pain. I can always switch back to upright when I start to fell the tingling on the neck and back. This is something you can't do on a SS bike. You have one riding position and that's it.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Its funny how folks on here will try and talk you out of buying anything other than a almighty 650.

Its your money spend it how you wish!

·
Banned
357 Posts
Having ridden several SS and the 650R; personall perference lead me to the 650R as a better overall bike. I have taken the Yamaha R1, Suzuki 750, and a Honda CBR600 to the streets for short rides and they are all extremely good rides. With that said, I have also taken these good rides onto the freeway for 300-500 miles rides and all I can say is that my neck and back screams blood murder to and from where ever I was going. On the 650R, you worried about your *** hurting on long rides but not only was my *** hurting; now my neck and back aches terribly from the SS lean forward riding position. I may be wrong but I think the SS bikes are great bikes for the track and short commutes in the cities. Riding in the lean position for more than 1 hour is bloody murder for my neck and back.

Why would you take a supersport and do 500 miles of superslab??? Thats as bad as taking a drag car up the Tail of the Dragon and complaining how badly it performed in the corners.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think an SS bike would be a hoot if you want a nice change of pace from the 650r - different engine and feel entirely and if you like aggressive riding I'm sure you'd have a blast on it...

The sportbars 2.0 are a great addition to the 650r though - $150, well worth it - that gets you to a riding position that is an ideal mix between a racer tuck and a comfortable cruising position..

The suspension, brakes, engine, and appearance of the SS bike would probably be very enjoyable, and insurance is only expensive if you get full coverage...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Why would you take a supersport and do 500 miles of superslab??? Thats as bad as taking a drag car up the Tail of the Dragon and complaining how badly it performed in the corners.
I didn't know any better at the time. Prior to buying the 650R, I really needed to know which bike suit me best for short commutes to work and long distance riding. One way to figure it out was with experience and so I took those bikes loaned to me by friends for semi long distance riding. What is so wrong about sharing this insight with the OP or other readers who may not have had the chance to take an SS bike out for distance riding?

The OP mentioned this in his post so I simply put forth a perspective he may not had encounter. If the OP attempted to do an IronButt SS1000 on a SS bike, he may want to know that the neck and back is going to ache like hell. It is the only reason why I offered my opinion to him....not you...but for him. I quote him below for your reference.

Like an Ironbutt SS1000, 2,000+ mile road trip, weekend road trips to places I haven't been to on a bike...

·
Banned
357 Posts
I didn't know any better at the time. Prior to buying the 650R, I really needed to know which bike suit me best for short commutes to work and long distance riding. One way to figure it out was with experience and so I took those bikes loaned to me by friends for semi long distance riding. What is so wrong about sharing this insight with the OP or other readers who may not have had the chance to take an SS bike out for distance riding?

The OP mentioned this in his post so I simply put forth a perspective he may not had encounter. If the OP attempted to do an IronButt SS1000 on a SS bike, he may want to know that the neck and back is going to ache like hell. It is the only reason why I offered my opinion to him....not you...but for him. I quote him below for your reference.
Yes I understand what you are saying but also remember that he is buying this bike in addition to the 650, so longer rides shouldn't be an issue. Also why do you insist that his neck, back are going to hurt on a SS because yours did? I have ridden longer distances on my current SS than I ever did on my 650 with no ill effect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. Yes maybe I shouldn't do it if it's going to make money tight for me. But in the original post I mentioned keeping the 650R along with the sportbike. The mods I've done on it are mostly for touring/commuting, and I'd use it for the long rides. The SS would be for riding to work and weekend rides on the twisty roads near here. And I'd finance it in a manner that would allow me not to have full coverage insurance. Just liability and maybe comprensive(mainly for theft coverage).

I guess if I do the smart thing I'll just keep the 650R as my only bike and have as much fun as I can have on it. It's fun to ride and fairly quick. Now if I had a cruiser or huge touring bike, a sportbike for a 2nd bike would be madnatory!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would save up and buy one outright. One month you can really pack it away and another month you can buy new gear if needed. I dont like living tight on money if I can avoid it.

As far as the SS positioni actually perfer it over the stock 650r bars. I've done some long freeway rides with my 650 with clip ons below the clamp with catalyst body with out issue. Its all personal preference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts