RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm been looking for my first bike and stumbled upon a blue 2007 Ninja 650R with 9000 miles. The owner posted it for $4K. It has new headlights, Yoshimura exhaust and Zero Gravity Double Bubble Screen. I don't think these add-ons really mattered but I thought I should include that info just in case. The bike looks like any other well-kept Ninja in the photos.

I was set on buying the bike but noticed a post from a year ago about the same year, type and color bike for $2.5K except it had 17,000 miles on it. Does 7,000 miles cost $1.5K? How much should I try to talk it down to.

Please help! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It all depends on your area. Anywhere in the 3k-4k range is pretty fair for an 06-08 as long as there's nothing major wrong with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
curiousAlways, is this being purchased private party or from a dealer? This matters because a dealer price will usually be a bit higher, however the bike will more than likely be in better condition. Other things factor in such as where you are located, time of year, (if buying from a dealer) how many other sportbikes they have/how many they have sold recently, etc. To give you some perspective I paid $4,700 for a 2006 two months ago in Ohio. The only aftermarket part on it was a Jardine GP-1 exhaust. Unfortunately the sales lady was very good at her job, started the thing up in the store and I knew right then and there I wanted it no matter what. I'm also terrible at haggling, so that didn't help me.

I presonally still think it was worth it. They bike had been laid down by the previous owner, but so far mechanically everything seems sound. Some of the plastics are a little scratched or warped, but the bike still looks great. If I was without a bike and this same deal came up I would jump on it again (maybe this time though at least see if I could get the price a little lower :~ )

Whether the bike you are speaking of is worth it or not is a very tough and subjective call. It depends on the bikes condition beyond what you have told us, how well it runs, what will need replaced when you get it, and even what you are looking for in a bike. Off of just the information you gave me I would see if you can talk them down at all, but if not it seems like a decent price to me.

I should also note, the dealer I purchased from put new tires, new battery, oil change, and a 90 day warranty through them if anything seemed off or wrong with the bike, they had a shop in house and they would fix the issue for free.

But to give you a little more perspective, take a look at this thread. People have posted the type of information you are looking for and it may help you determine whether that specific bike is worth it for you.

If you would still like more help any and all information you can provide us is helpful in better determining if this is a "good deal" or not.

:welcome: to the forums!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses! I'm buying it from a private party but it seems like the value of bikes in the Bay Area, where I live, are pretty high. When I look at the kbb values and compare that to CL posts, the kbb values seem super low. But then I learned about NADA guides and it falls in the mid/high range.

The seller didn't really include anything about the mechanical condition of his bike in his post. I just asked him about the last inspection on the bike and I'm waiting for his reply.

I guess I'm doubting my purchase because I'm not a big fan of the 2007 headlight style....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks for your responses! I'm buying it from a private party but it seems like the value of bikes in the Bay Area, where I live, are pretty high. When I look at the kbb values and compare that to CL posts, the kbb values seem super low. But then I learned about NADA guides and it falls in the mid/high range.

The seller didn't really include anything about the mechanical condition of his bike in his post. I just asked him about the last inspection on the bike and I'm waiting for his reply.

I guess I'm doubting my purchase because I'm not a big fan of the 2007 headlight style....
The gen 2 and 3 headlight styles are definitely more aggressive and nicer looking. You may want to look for an '09 if you can find one, that's when the headlights started being split apart. You may also look at the BKMOTO HID mod, they help the gen 1 bikes look a little cooler. Ribcage is a member who has them installed on a gen 1, you can also jump on BKMOTOs website to see them installed.

I would also highly suggest going and actually looking at the bike before purchasing it. Have the owner start it up, see if you can ride it up and down the driveway or something, make sure you know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
With $4000, I'd definitely be looking for 2009 and newer. I think the overall styling is much better, with sharper crisper lines on the fairings, better colors on the frame (those black or silver bikes with the red frames look CHEAP, like those Chinese made motorcycles that they were selling at hardware stores). I guess the best way I could describe the difference between the two is that to me, the 2006-08 look like the big sister to the EX500, and the 2009 and up look like the little sister to the ZX6R.

A couple other things to think about between the first 2 generations is the the 1st had 64 HP, the 2nd had 72. The 1st gets better gas mileage and weighs less as well. So those are a couple other things you might want to factor in your decision.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
With 50 more cc, I like to think the 650R is the big brother to the ZX6R. You know, the more mature one. I also think $4K is expensive but not in your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is one more data point althought a different part of the country - I bought an '09 650R this spring for $4500 including a very nice jacket and a few other accessories. Private sale and the bike was bone stock, showroom/mint condition, and only 950 miles. Just be patient and monitor craigslist in your surrounding areas like a hawk.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
With 50 more cc, I like to think the 650R is the big brother to the ZX6R. You know, the more mature one. I also think $4K is expensive but not in your area.
O.K., the Ninja 650 is the slow dim-witted older sister, that never really got with the program like the ZX6R. She looks hot, but falls short in the implied performance department.

Is that better?

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah, bay area isn't cheap ... though you get a better selection (for my tastes of bikes, anyway) than down here in SoCal.
On the Ninja 650, on the other hand, the market down here might be better - though I wouldn't recommend an LA-SF trip as your 'introductory' ride ;-)
You write first bike ... I mean no offense but let me ask:
- who's checking out the used bike, if it's a private party sale; you? got a checklist of things to inspect and assess? you're on the right track by requesting info. on its maintenance history/life (it's not just the last one that matters)
- first bike owned or first bike to be ridden more than a few minutes/miles? or both? pls. expand a bit on your overall experience with bikes and things mechanical; it'll help us taylor the feedback
- how flexible are you with your bike choice: years, brand, mileage, conditions, budget; are you keeping a cushion for the (almost certainly required) maintenance, both ordinary (oil/filter, air filter....) and extraordinary (tires, brakes, chain/sprockets, battery ... the $$ can add up fast ... refer back to fist question or risk getting 'hosed'...)

To me, it sounds like a premium price for a premium-condition low-mileage specimen; said conditions to be verified...

Does 7,000 miles cost $1.5K? How much should I try to talk it down to.
It does if someone's willing to pay for it ... I know of / have known people that would ... for a 6 year old bike, I'd prefer a bit higher mileage, actually (not good for the engine to take only short trips that don't bring everything up to full operating temp.) ... I wouldn't pay for it ... but I also wouldn't recommend a premium bike in premium conditions (verified) as a first bike

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
O.K., the Ninja 650 is the slow dim-witted older sister, that never really got with the program like the ZX6R. She looks hot, but falls short in the implied performance department.

Is that better?
Not really, I was more going for the 650R has its own good traits. If you just want to compare speed and performance though, this sounds about right. I ride with someone who owns a ZX6R and he is looking for a more practical bike like the 650R. Comfort, mileage, versatility, etc. Usually, it is the other way around.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Not really, I was more going for the 650R has its own good traits. If you just want to compare speed and performance though, this sounds about right. I ride with someone who owns a ZX6R and he is looking for a more practical bike like the 650R. Comfort, mileage, versatility, etc. Usually, it is the other way around.
Yep, a lot of people marry the older sister instead of the hotter younger one, she's just more practical. Mostly I was just comparing styling of the fist gen versus the later generations. To me at least, the first gen looks like relative of the EX500, whereas the the later ones look more like they are related to the frontline bikes like the ZX6R and ZX10R. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to each of them, and they're all good. I was never interested in this family of bikes until I first saw a 2009. Ironically I bought a ER6N, mostly because the styling of the 2009 and newer 650R was just too sporty for my purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Chicago and got a 2009 with 12k miles for $3200 about a month ago. The only after market parts were an exhaust and slide bars. There is a small crack on the fairing but that's it. Overall it's in great shape. I think an '07 for $4k is a bit steep.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
The seller didn't really include anything about the mechanical condition of his bike in his post.

Ask him......about defects and accidents. Most people are reluctant to outright lie.....but will easily "forget" to tell you stuff.
I don't think that one simple cosmetic dislike should deter you from an otherwise good deal.
My two rules of used bike purchases:
NEVER buy anything where the owner says "It only needs (anything)". Tell him to fix that and get back to you.
Never buy a used bike without an extensive test ride......including seeing it started cold.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Steep but every asking price is. Nobody expects to get their asking price. It is just part of the game.

This spring I got a brand new 0 mile 2011 for $6000 from a dealer. For an 07 in good condition I would pay 3200-3500.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
+1 with JD!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got mine for 3750it's an 07 in great shape and I couldn't be happier. Like others It says, it depends on a lot of things, location, patience bargaining ability, season etc...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got my '07 w/3000 miles back in 2010 for $3000...... so today I would not pay much more than $2K. but that me and my location....

You need to go look at it and decide what bikes in your area are going for and what is a good value in your area. It is your hard earned money, dont listen to us.... You gotta do what fits your budget and what will work for you.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Seems kinda high for an 07, especially if it doesn't come "ready to ride" with fresh fluids and new tires. But the CA prices have always been wonky, so take it all witha grain of salt. Mods do nothing to increase a bike's value unless they are the exact mods you were going to anyway.

To me at least, the first gen looks like relative of the EX500, whereas the the later ones look more like they are related to the frontline bikes like the ZX6R and ZX10R.
That's because the 650 was designed as a replacement for the 500. The plastics on the first gen models were updated somewhat, but their origins were very clear. I'm glad that the 06-08 look the way they do - given how many are no longer around, they are unique. All the "new" bikes look the same nowadays.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts