RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Short or missing fuel tank drain hose / fuel gauge drain hose

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Obo 
#1 ·
My bike has recently started to put out a lot of gas fumes while riding. After checking over the bike, I noticed that instead of having both the fuel tank drain hose and fuel gauge drain hose running through the clamp under the bike, one of the hoses (looks like the Fuel gauge drain hose) hangs low, and the fuel tank drain hose is either missing, or cut extremely short. I'm comparing this to the service manual, which shows both hoses (numbers 24 and 25 in the diagram).

Line art Line Technical drawing Drawing Parallel

The service manual doesn't provide any guidance, as far as I can tell, on how to inspect or fix these hoses. Does anyone know if these hoses need to match the manual? And if so, how do I go about fixing them?

I have posted images of my bike, one pic of the single hose, which I think is the fuel gauge hose, hanging low past the muffler, almost touching the ground:

Tire Auto part Bumper Automotive tire Exhaust system

The second pic of the shorted fuel tank drain hose (i think), with my finger tip on the end of it to show where it stops:

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Auto part

Thanks!

- Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
The hose under the sending unit does nothing unless the unit leaks...
I assume the other one has something to do with venting the tank..It looks like it should be low enough,I'd follow it to the tank and make sure its not squished or kinked somewhere......

#3 ·
Thanks! I'll look the hoses over again for kinks. I was worried I'd have to remove the fuel tank and replace the hosing. I only recently got the bike and am still figuring out what the previous owners may have changed. So far its been a great bike!

#4 ·
#6 ·
I defintely do not have two low hoses as shown in your pick, Obo. I only have a single long hose which looks like it runs to the fuel gauge. I'll check the short hose to see if it drops the rpms when covered. Otherwise, is this an easy fix? Anyone know of easy-to-follow instructions to replace the hosing? The service manual is kind of lacking.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

#5 ·
The hose shown in your 2nd image, under the side cover, may be the one coming off the carbs, and is supposed to be there -- there will be a matching one under the other side cover, too. If you hold your finer over the end while the engine is running, the engine rpm will drop, become rough and eventually stall.

#8 ·
Automotive lighting Bumper Auto part

Red Footwear Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle

Land vehicle Bicycle wheel Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle part

You should have two hoses attached to the tank.
One you can see without removing the tank (#9) this is the fuel guage one I think it says
You should be able to remove the rear bolts for the tank, lift it slightly, and see the other (#8) This is the overflow I believe.
- removal of the bolts and lifting the tank a bit is how you'd get at your air filter to check/service it. You don't have to remove the tank to check this.

Both tubes then run down near each other and are about the same length.

Now this being said, this is on a North American, non California emissions crap bike. We don't have carb heaters like you do, so I don't know it there are other subtle changes.

#9 ·
Looking at your diagram, it shows the drain hose #24 that runs up to #8 at the rear bottom of the tank.
The drain hose #25 becomes a dotted outline that goes to the near front bottom of the tank (to a black plastic thing)

#10 ·
As for if you have a blocked hose, or a missing hose, you can use any proper sized rubber hose to replace a missing or damaged one, and can check for plugged drain or vent hoses as per page 75 of the service manual, section 2-26 fuel system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.