RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2007 Vulcan 1500 with stock suspension. My passenger and I add up to 400 pounds. When we hit bumps in the road we bounce too much for comfort. It may be my imagination but it seems worse since last years 2000 mile road trip.

What should I ask a mechanic (since I'm not one)? Is there anything I can do myself to fix the problem?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Gold Member
572 Posts
Shocks do eventually wear out. The coil springs fatigue, oil seals weep, oil gets contaminated with microscopic particles from shaft wear, etc. Many of the OE shocks are non-rebuildable. There are lots of options to replace the shocks, from not too expensive to shocks that cost more than the bike is worth. Progressive Suspension is probably the most common brand; especially true in the cruiser world. While not top of the line when compared to Ohlins or Wilbers, they would be considered an upgrade from your OE shocks. If you have basic hand tools, you can likely replace the shocks yourself. Doing them one at a time can often get the job done without even having to lift the bike off the ground at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts