RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a bit of an issue. When I shift between first and second, randomly I shift into neutral, and while it does that a bit of clicking goes on. Is there a reason for this? Should it even be trying to shift in neutral when I am going 30 MPH and simple hold the clutch in and push the shifter up with my foot?

·
Banned
679 Posts
I have run into a bit of an issue. When I shift between first and second, randomly I shift into neutral, and while it does that a bit of clicking goes on. Is there a reason for this? Should it even be trying to shift in neutral when I am going 30 MPH and simple hold the clutch in and push the shifter up with my foot?
You aren't shifting hard enough, this happened to me when I first started riding; a majority of the time after a long ride when I was becoming fatigued. On certain occasions it would even go into 2nd for a second or two, than drop back into neutral. Just shift harder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the gap between 1st and 2nd is a little taller than the other gears so it requires you to pull it up a little more. It's pretty common, for newer riders especially, to mis-shift beetwen 1st and 2nd. The clicking that you're hearing, I'm guessing is it not fully engaging 2nd gear. Also if the bike is new things are still a little "tight" but will break in over time and get easier, in the meantime just be very deliberate with your shifting and make sure you hear/feel it fully engage 2nd before you let out the clutch.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
yes, get an oil change if it's still on the original factory oil, then just make sure you are giving it hard, positive shifts upwards.
Usually that first oil change will make things more smooth. Proper footwear helps too.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
When I am shifting my bike I do it in this order.

Apply pressure to the shifter with my foot.
Pull in the clutch lever while closing the throttle and pushing up on the shifter.
Release clutch lever while applying throttle.

...and like others have said, change the oil and make sure the oil is at the proper level. Too much or too little is not good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 on the foot wear. There is notably different feel between the two pair of boots I use. You will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been driving this bike for 2 years now. I am now a worried that there may be damange to the shifting mechanism because its occuring quite often.

Hmm, might be an oil thing since I need to change the filter again and oil, it has been a year and I'm currently at 5k miles.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,030 Posts
Hmm, might be an oil thing since I need to change the filter again and oil, it has been a year and I'm currently at 5k miles.
I'd be very suprised if you don't feel a difference in shifting after the oil change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 for preloading the shifter before changing gears. That helped me. Just make sure you take the pressure off the shifter completely before changing gears again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Probably not, but its held on by a single bolt. You can undo the bolt and then slide the lever off and put it lower or higher depending on what's comfortable for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
nice, i'll check it out thanks :), i hate having to lift my foot at such a high angle to shift, i'm lazy like that lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably not, but its held on by a single bolt. You can undo the bolt and then slide the lever off and put it lower or higher depending on what's comfortable for you.
yes very simple to do... and this explains why i was getting the neutral all the time.. I had my shifter up so high from my toe position that i wasn't putting as much force on upshift and getting stuck in neutral.... i'll remember to adjust it back tomorrow

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just shift more carefully. I get stuck into neutral all the time if I get lazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts