RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried several communication options over the years from early units that where wired to each others helmets (don't forget to disconnect before one of you gets off the bike....) to marginal at best units that could be used with great success if you where not moving and the bike was off.....
My wife and I like to have the option to talk to each other while on the ride as well as I like to listen to my music and want the option to take and place a phone call cruising down the road. After many product reviews read and talking to other riders, I decided to give the latest offering from Sena a try and here is what I have found.
20s front package.jpg
The new Sena 20S has a dizzying array of features that I had never thought of when considering communication headsets before.
20s package features.jpg
Some of the highlights for this model are the new Bluetooth 4.0 This allows you to run multiple tasks such as GPS, music, phone ect. at the same time plus more.
Bluetooth communications between not only Sena products but other brands as well. This is super convenient in group rides.
Complete voice recognition system so you can concentrate on the road instead of fumbling around trying to remember what button does what.
Built in FM radio with presets.
Standard cell phone charging
Cell phone app for adjusting settings and easy presetting for FM radio stations.
An ambient microphone so you can switch to hearing what is going on outside the helmet. This is cool for having a conversation with someone without taking your helmet off first.

I have just started using the new system and honestly there is a lot to learn if you want to take full advantage of what it can do. If you are just interested in have good communications and access to music and GPS directions, then this is really easy to do. The first this that you notice when you open the box is all of the options that this Dual Pack comes with.
20s Product details.jpg
There are chargers, 3 options for microphones including the static boom mic, wired boom mic and a wired mic. so you can configure it to most helmets. Many options for mounting the HD speakers or you can even run ear buds if you want to block more road noise. Super detailed instructions and more.

To mount this to my helmet, you just loosen the screws on the clamp, slide it onto the edge of your helmet and tighten with the provided allen wrench. You will most likely want to mount is on the left side of the helmet so you can use the buttons and jog dial while riding.
20s mounting screws.jpg

I then had to make a small notch in the pad mounts on my helmet to get the wires through for the speakers.
20s helmet mod.jpg

(continued in next post)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Every helmet is different but most have removable pads and this allows you to hide the speaker wires behind the padding.
20s HD speaker.jpg

I got both of our helmets hooked up and paired to each other. I also paired the 20S to my phone for music, GPS and phone calls.
20s pair.jpg

The first couple of rides I did where by my self so I was able to listen to music and GPS directions and play with the radio. This unit is a huge leap forward from my previous units. The FM radio has a flip up antenna and you can use the seek function or download the app for your smart phone and program your favorite stations that way.
20s FM antenna.jpg
The sound quality was vastly superior to my old set and I placed and received several phone calls. Not one person I talked to while riding the bike at speeds up to 75mph could believe that I was on a motorcycle while talking to them. It was that clear.
I have ridden with my wife several times now and she is happy with the ease of use on 20s verses our old set. We are both getting used to the voice commands but once you do, this is a great feature. When set up, you can simply say "Hello Sena" and it will prompt you into your voice options. You can control just about all of your features with the voice commands from answering the phone, change a song on your music, contact others that you are paired with and even check your remaining battery charge.
The sound quality when paired to others is much better than other systems I have used. Before, my wife would have to turn off the communications if we where going faster than about 40mph because of the wind noise.
I have not tested these units out in a group ride yet but I did have my wife use her set while staying at home and I rode away on the bike to check distance. I live at the bottom of a hill and rode away from the house through some other hills. I was able to still communicate with her for about 3/4 of a mile with out any trouble. The system is rated to 1.2 miles but I think that would be with line of site. Still, 3/4 of a mile is not bad in a hilly area.
There is much more to explore with these new units and I will be trying my best to master all of its features. I did notice when I downloaded the Sena app to my phone and connected it to the set, it let me know that there is a firmware update available. Another nice feature.
You can find the 20s Dual Pack online for about $500. This may sound like a lot of money, but the features that this one offers are huge. It would be hard to go on rides now without this unit with me. I'm a happy customer for sure, partly because my wife is much happier now that we have a good communication set up.
20S - Sena

·
Registered
164 Posts
What model (s) have you been using? Wife & I use the Sena SMH10 and like everything except the boom mikes. We both gave up on speakers in the helmets and went with earbuds plugged into the unit. Looks like this gives us more features though

·
Registered
164 Posts
geez just reading about them I think we'll pull the trigger on a set. Looks like I'll have an SMH10 set for sale soon lol. Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
LOL, I've spent so much money because of this forum over the past few years. :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the SMH 10 after upgrading from chatterbox. Holy smokes, what a difference. I figured $249 was better than $500 for the sets to get into a better quality communications device. One thing that I still don't like (or haven't figured out) is why I can't sync up my phone to play music to both me and the rider and then let us communicate (interrupt) the music, and then go back to the music when we stop talking. My phone has music stored on it that I have playlist setup for riding and I figured we both can listen to music and then hit the button to talk. I cant seem to get it to work with both headsets synced with my phone as well as each other. But other than that the larger speakers are nice, the talking is possible at 75 mph where my chatterbox sucked. Glad you like it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model (s) have you been using? Wife & I use the Sena SMH10 and like everything except the boom mikes. We both gave up on speakers in the helmets and went with earbuds plugged into the unit. Looks like this gives us more features though
I had been using the Shark MBT688IL
As for the boom mic, I really don't mind it. You do have the option of 2 other mics if the boom gets in the way.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the SMH 10 after upgrading from chatterbox. Holy smokes, what a difference. I figured $249 was better than $500 for the sets to get into a better quality communications device. One thing that I still don't like (or haven't figured out) is why I can't sync up my phone to play music to both me and the rider and then let us communicate (interrupt) the music, and then go back to the music when we stop talking. My phone has music stored on it that I have playlist setup for riding and I figured we both can listen to music and then hit the button to talk. I cant seem to get it to work with both headsets synced with my phone as well as each other. But other than that the larger speakers are nice, the talking is possible at 75 mph where my chatterbox sucked. Glad you like it.
I have not used the SMH 10 but the 20s will do what you are wanting it to do. They call it music sharing. Also with the Bluetooth 4.0, it allows you to go back and forth without it having to stop between each function.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had been using the Shark MBT688IL
As for the boom mic, I really don't mind it. You do have the option of 2 other mics if the boom gets in the way.
Wasn't that it would get in the way, it would just need repositioning whenever we took off our helmets. One of us would forget and it'd be down in the wind causing all kinds of noise and we'd have to move it back up. Come to think if it now, I probably could have velcro'd it in place lol. Loved the SENA SMH10 units though and am looking forward to receiving the new 20S sets tomorrow.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't that it would get in the way, it would just need repositioning whenever we took off our helmets. One of us would forget and it'd be down in the wind causing all kinds of noise and we'd have to move it back up. Come to think if it now, I probably could have velcro'd it in place lol. Loved the SENA SMH10 units though and am looking forward to receiving the new 20S sets tomorrow.
Sounds good, I hope you enjoy them and let us know what you think. Also let me know if you figure out and good tips on using them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure you are upgraded to the latest firmware on both headsets. There is a video on YouTube from Sena showing how to do the music sharing after the update. I tested it and it works as intended.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just another update on using the Sena headsets. There are so many functions that these can do, it is kind of amazing. I usually do not ride with ear buds or ear plugs because I don't like not hearing the ambient noise and the engine of the bike. These headsets have a port so you can plug in a set of headphones instead of the helmet speakers so I gave them a try. Obviously the sound was better (not taking away from the sound of the helmet speakers though) but the really cool feature is there is a microphone on the outside of the helmet. When you press a button, it pauses your music and you can hear everything around you very clear and it stays clear up to about 30mph.
I did have a problem with one of the latching mechanisms but an email to Sena and they took care of it without any problem. I am still learning all that it can do, not to say that they are hard to use at all, but there is just a lot it can do. I am really liking all of the voice commands that you can do with them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You have to have the VOA enabled. They made it available on the last firmware update.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got to say, even though this is my first comm. system, it is amazing, & as stated it's going to take a while to get used to & figure out all of the features. I waited for almost 3 months on this system and I must say so far it's been worth the wait.

HalfBreed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts