RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

There is kind of along story behind this bike....well, not the bike itself, but the story of me purchasing a 2nd gen Z1000...lol. It's not even a good story or I'd tell it...lol.

Anyway, I just got it home late last Thursday night. It's pretty clean but does need a little work to clean her all up the way I'd like her...just tidying up some of the previous owner's messy wiring, stripped allen heads, and lack of cleaning/detailing...lol. Perfect winter "projects"...lol.

Of course it's an 07, in Metallic Diablo Black. It came with Metzeler Sportec M3's, stock exhaust, PCIII usb, CA Integrated tail light, K&N air filter, Protaper Contour bar and clamps, and Titax levers.

So far, I have installed a set of Beowulf pipes (Black powder coated stainless steel, oval shorties), Black Pazzo shorties with ti adjusters, Sprint steering damper, and Kawi matching rear seat cowl. Thanks to Judgie posting up pics of his UK machine...this is why I went with the Beowulfs...you just don't see them around, not where I live at least.

Oh, and I have a new black Corbin rider seat on the way...lol.

Not sure exactly what to do with the wheels yet...I'd like to just paint the spokes/centers black, so the wheels look the same as they do on my 06 Z1000, but they don't look like they'll be all that easy to mask. Otherwise...I do still have a set of ebony black ZX-10R rims....I suppose that's another option....lol.

Anyway, nothing exciting, and nothing you guys haven't seen before, but just wanted to post up some pictures of her;)

Cheers all,
Rem:yoda:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!!

I love it so far, but really just rode it home from buying it, and then haven't been on the road since....except for a couple runs up my street to see how the new pipes sounded...lol.

Then I got shipped off for 2 weeks with work!! Uggh..

Oh well, I have lots of odds n ends to do to it over the winter.

Cheers,
Rem:FIREdevil

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So why 2 Z's????
Haha...well, I only mean that it's the 2nd one I'll own.....although I currently have 2 Z1000's, I only intend to keep one...lol. The blue 06 has been for sale for about a month now. Bad time of year to be selling a bike I guess...ugggh.

·
Registered
691 Posts
you'll have to let us know how the '07 compares to the '06, after you get a little riding time of course.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey Remmy, seeing you with that second gen makes me happy! :agree: Congrats and enjoy :alcy: (when things warm back up! :glassesti )

·
Registered
883 Posts
your Z looks good man. You should look into getting those wheels done over the winter as well. I got mine Coated for around 250.00 here in the US not including all the necessary removal and re-installation of the tires as well as re balanced.

Thanks again for the Pazzos and good luck with your sale of your 06.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looking good bro, now time to take this Z to the Cabot Trail :p I am just really glad that you are going to keep on Z, after you bought the big beast all I thought about is that Cory is getting old lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
So far, I have installed a set of Beowulf pipes (Black powder coated stainless steel, oval shorties), Black Pazzo shorties with ti adjusters, Sprint steering damper, and Kawi matching rear seat cowl. Thanks to Judgie posting up pics of his UK machine...this is why I went with the Beowulfs...you just don't see them around, not where I live at least.

Oh, and I have a new black Corbin rider seat on the way...lol.

Not sure exactly what to do with the wheels yet...I'd like to just paint the spokes/centers black, so the wheels look the same as they do on my 06 Z1000, but they don't look like they'll be all that easy to mask. Otherwise...I do still have a set of ebony black ZX-10R rims....I suppose that's another option....lol.

Anyway, nothing exciting, and nothing you guys haven't seen before, but just wanted to post up some pictures of her;)

Cheers all,
Rem:yoda:
Nice buddy, the Beowulf's look awesome on the zed, had them on my bandit 12 too and they are well built and add some nice ponies too, have you removed the baffles yet, if not get it done!!
And I totally agree, get rid of the red seat, and get the corbin fitted, I prefer the corbin on the track aswell, as its slippier and lets me move my fat bum off the seat more than I can with the standard.
I would love to see your bike with the Zx10 black rims on, so get it done and post some pics.
I might just put a pic up of mine too so everyone knows where you STOLE :) your ideas from!!
Sorry for the hijack im a :jerkit: !
Pics are prior to fitting C/F front mudgaurd, ASV levers, Corbin seat and Gilles rearsets, again sorry for the hijack!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice buddy, the Beowulf's look awesome on the zed, had them on my bandit 12 too and they are well built and add some nice ponies too, have you removed the baffles yet, if not get it done!!
Baffles?...in the stock exhaust? Or do you mean the inserts that came with the Beowulfs?...I took those out before I even installed them on the bike....haha...they're only in there for shipping purposes aren't they??...hahaha. I love the sound of them so far, nice and deep, very cool!!

No worries on the Hijack Judgie...glad to have ya here!! I just paid for the shipping on the Corbin seat yesterday, so I should have it in about a week or so...I had been waiting to combine it with some other items I have coming from my guy in NC.

I'll keep y'all posted with the upgrades and installs....I can't wait for spring tho....sigh*....lol. I'll be buggin' all of you with questions over the winter so I can get this thing all pimped out and properly tuned by spring!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats with your new purchase, I'm looking forward to seeing how this new Z turns out!!

I agree you should put the ZX10 rims on, lovin' the pipes so far. :agree:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Baffles?...in the stock exhaust? Or do you mean the inserts that came with the Beowulfs?...I took those out before I even installed them on the bike....haha...they're only in there for shipping purposes aren't they??...hahaha. I love the sound of them so far, nice and deep, very cool!!

No worries on the Hijack Judgie...glad to have ya here!! I just paid for the shipping on the Corbin seat yesterday, so I should have it in about a week or so...I had been waiting to combine it with some other items I have coming from my guy in NC.

I'll keep y'all posted with the upgrades and installs....I can't wait for spring tho....sigh*....lol. I'll be buggin' all of you with questions over the winter so I can get this thing all pimped out and properly tuned by spring!!
As im English and speak English and you have purchased an exhaust made in England they are called baffles :), and yes they are just for shipping lol. I have got a HID kit, led side lights and smoked front indicators sat in my garage awaiting my return, I just hope we have a dry christmas so I can have a spin, might have to put the old thermals on to keep my balls and manhood turning into a mangina. Oh and Im having a new shock and fork internals done when im home from Maxton Engineering, they do a lot of bikes that race on the IOM TT so they are good for fast road and track days, I was supposed to get them fitted in October when I was home last, but I decided to ride my bike instead of having it in the worshop for a week as they custom build them to my exact weight and riding style. Ask away buddy, anything I can help with is a pleasure, I have had a lot of help from this forum and it good to be able to help others, just get those ZX10 wheels on pal!!!

Ride safe

Judgie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As im English and speak English and you have purchased an exhaust made in England they are called baffles :)
Hahaha....ok buddy, I got ya...I just thought you were talking about something in the stock pipe that I somehow missed...lol.

Cheers,
Cory:alcy:

·
Registered
269 Posts
How do you like how it rides in general compared to your other one? Does it feel like a totally different bike in most respects?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you like how it rides in general compared to your other one? Does it feel like a totally different bike in most respects?
Ya know what, that's a really good question that I'm not sure I can answer properly...lol., and, I haven't really ridden the 07 Z1000 very much yet. I had an almost 100 mile ride home on the highway, in the dark, at about 45 degrees F...lol. I didn't experiment too much...lol.

The bike felt really "twitchy" too me, and that it wanted to turn in much quicker than I was used to.....however, I had also been riding the Concours-14 for the past several weeks, not my 06 Z1000, so I'm not comparing properly. I think it felt so much different because of the huge difference between the C-14 and the 07 Z1000. I think if I took the 06 for a ride, it would probably feel twitchy too...lol.

The 07 Z1000 has a lower and wider Protaper bar on it, so the riding position felt a little different, but nothing crazy. The power delivery felt smoother, and more linear, but I didn't push it all that hard....I'm talking between 60 and 95 miles per hour. I know the 2nd gen Z has less HP, but more torque in the lower range, which would explain the difference I felt.

I also don't like the stock 07 seat, but then again, I'm only comparing to the Corbin I was so used to on my 06. That will be fixed soon enough...lol.

I can't help but think the tires may be giving me much different feel and feedback. I've been running Avon Storms on the 06 since almost new, and they're touring tires...with a wider, more gradual, curve/profile on the tire. The 07 has Metzeler Sportec M3's, which feel more like the Pilot Powers I used to run on my previous "sport" bikes...lol. They have a higher center, more of an oval profile. I'm thinking that is giving me some of the twitchy feel....or quicker turn in.

To be honest, I'm not that sensitive....lol, not nearly as much as I may seem...lol. I know the 07/08 models are a little heavier, with a little less HP (but more torque), than the first gens, but it's not something a guy like me wouldn"t notice much. I'm not an aggressive rider, so a few pounds, or HP, here and there isn't going to change my ride any.

If I had to sum it up, I'd say it feels like it pulls a little harder, and smoother, between 60 and 95, but otherwise feels exactly the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Y
The bike felt really "twitchy" too me, and that it wanted to turn in much quicker than I was used to.....
Hey Cory

Do you have a 25mm jack up kit (wishbones/dogbones) fitted or similar? As if you do I have a little tip for you that solved my twitching, and thats was drop the forks through the yoke ever so slightly, maybe 5mm or so. I had issues when I fitted my jack up kit and it solved the issues, also your suspension could be set up for a guy of different weight, we can get a basic set up done over here that costs about £40 approx $55 or something near that figure which sorts all minor issues like sag etc, just a thought as my bike handles nice but im still getting a new shock and fork internals as im 18 st 6lb about 260lbs as I find it dives under my extra weight and is unbalnced going into a bend a speed, letting those nasty sports bikes pass me in the entry of a corner, but I pull it back mid corner and by the time we are back on the gas Im reeling them back in, if not passing them back.

Ride safe

Judgie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Cory

Do you have a 25mm jack up kit (wishbones/dogbones) fitted or similar? .....also your suspension could be set up for a guy of different weight, we can get a basic set up done over here that costs about £40 approx $55 or something near that figure which sorts all minor issues like sag etc, just a thought
Judgie,

Thanks for your input. I don't believe the bike has a jack-up kit, no. And, I really just rode it home from the seller's house, and not much more, so I haven't even touched the suspension yet. I'm 6' tall @ 210 lbs, so I do like to set the suspension up for my weight and riding. I usually start with the Sport-Rider suggested settings, and then tweak it from there.

Our local motorcycle suspension shop does the same deal as yours....for around $40 bucks, you can take your bike to their shop, and you get on, in your leathers, etc, for the correct/actual rider weight, and they'll set up the basics. You can also hire them to spend some time with you at a track day to set-up your suspension properly, allowing you to test at the same time. If you can't get the adjustments you need out of the stock suspension, and many of us....uh...heavier guys don't, they can either replace with better gear, or rebuild/re-valve the stock gear.

I'm away from home for a couple weeks with work, and by the time I get back, my riding season is finished....well, I can still get out, but with the cold roads and air temps, I won't be pushing any limits. I'll get some of the bugs worked out over the winter, and get back into "performance set-up" in the spring...lol.

Cheers Buddy,
Rem:silly:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts