RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've searched around and couldn't find the actual foam name/supplier for SEAT foam. I spent $100 for foam, glues and covering. The foam I got at a craft store was 4 inches thick, cut it up, glued it on, and it compresses way too much. After 1/2 mile feels like you're riding on the frame.

Looked at gel packs, but they don't seem to come in the correct size.

any help would be appreciated.
michel

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I don't know exactly what type(s) of foam are used in seats other than folks who've redone their own have used different density foams in combination layers to get the desired cushion and sag.

Hopefully someone here has done a seat mod and can provide you with some information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m currently investigating doing this for my bike. Looks like a medium to high density foam is recommended. I’ve come across some foam that was recommended for use in marine applications on boats and outdoor applications which to me seems like it would work for motorcycles to. I think the key is to choosing the right density. For reference here’s a website that seems to break down the uses and densities. I think sargent cycle seats use close cell foam but I’ve been looking at the polyurethane foam too (open cell). The problem obviously being water soaking into the seat. I see some places want to sell you a plastic wrap to go over the foam to help seal out water.

more general seat info here too.

foam guide....

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I had not noticed the 1st time I looked at the great instruction on this site on how to redo a seat, but the author DID mention to use closed cell 4pound or 5pound rebound foam. Then mentioned that he should have used 4 LB for a softer ride. Now to just find someone that sells it.....been looking and have not found a seller yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I found the same problem too. The other thing I was thinking about was maybe just buying a thicker larger bigger seat cushion made for another bike and just cut it up and use it for my seat. If I find anything that works I’ll be sure to post it or if you have any updates that could help I appreciate your post also. :geek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts