RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,
I should be getting an oem lime green seat cowl here pretty soon and am trying to decide what to do paint wise. I know someone who paints professionally for a living so I can get a professional job done cheap. The only thing is the color rite paint and clearcoat is very pricey and I will be getting way more than I need. I was thinking of doing a color rite rattle can job. Problem with that is the army didn't give me a garage. I thought about building a kind of one time use paint booth but I don't think that will fly with the army, and the cost seems like it would offset the cost of the color rite pints. And then it boils down to professional job vs rattle can job. I really don't have much experience painting so I'm kinda nervous about doing it myself. So I need advice on what would be the best/most cost efficient route. Thanks and sorry for bringing up another paint thread I know its been covered a jillion times already.

-Alex[
ATTACH=CONFIG]50398[/ATTACH] IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0113.jpg

wetsanded, polished and waxed!! Matches the oem color perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well,
I should be getting an oem lime green seat cowl here pretty soon and am trying to decide what to do paint wise. I know someone who paints professionally for a living so I can get a professional job done cheap. The only thing is the color rite paint and clearcoat is very pricey and I will be getting way more than I need. I was thinking of doing a color rite rattle can job. Problem with that is the army didn't give me a garage. I thought about building a kind of one time use paint booth but I don't think that will fly with the army, and the cost seems like it would offset the cost of the color rite pints. And then it boils down to professional job vs rattle can job. I really don't have much experience painting so I'm kinda nervous about doing it myself. So I need advice on what would be the best/most cost efficient route. Thanks and sorry for bringing up another paint thread I know its been covered a jillion times already.

-Alex
dude.. spray paint and sandpaper $15 dollar job.. its **** easy.

i did the exact same thing with a lime green cowel, if you want a great job, just take your time and spray lots of light coats sanding in between.

go heavier on the clear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did the color turn out was it close/spot on to the oem paint? Is it ok to sand in between, I know color rite recommends you dont? Also did you prime the cowl or just sand and start painting over the green? Sorry for the many questions...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Since you're only doing a cowl you can easily set up a little "booth" to paint in.
If you can get a tarp or cut open large garbage bags and tape together. Hang it up around the part. You just want to cover both sides and top of the part to keep any dirt or dust from dropping on it. Rattle can will look fine on that, buff it once it's painted and you should be pretty good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had to repaint my tank, cowl, and side panels and it just sprayed them outside and keep the bugs away. If not maybe try wrapping the cowl in carbon fiber vinyl.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks frank and cflip, I'll probably just do it outside with a makeshift tarp/garbage bag covered area. I thought about covering the seat cowl in carbon fiber vinyl, but I dunno how that would look on the bike. Seems like it would be out of place. I'm gonna pick up some cf vinyl or matte black vinyl to wrap my silver frame covers so I might wrap it if the paint job goes horribly wrong lol.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
thanks frank and cflip, I'll probably just do it outside with a makeshift tarp/garbage bag covered area. I thought about covering the seat cowl in carbon fiber vinyl, but I dunno how that would look on the bike. Seems like it would be out of place. I'm gonna pick up some cf vinyl or matte black vinyl to wrap my silver frame covers so I might wrap it if the paint job goes horribly wrong lol.

i used 'plasticoat' (brand of black spray paint) black hi gloss, however it will never look exactly like the OEM paint.

Yes its black and yes from a distance its look great, but close up, the metallic black of the bike is a much sharper black, whereas the cowl paint seems to have more browny black warmth to it.

a nice deep shinny clear coat will help them look more a like.

beware these cowls though.. if you bought the same one i did, once you 'strap' it to the passanger seat it will start scratching all around the seat area where it touches the plastic bike of the bike.

use some black electrical tape to stop it from rubbing.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had to repaint my tank, cowl, and side panels and it just sprayed them outside and keep the bugs away. If not maybe try wrapping the cowl in carbon fiber vinyl.
i think if you've the patience and the prep area, painting is the easiest thing to do..

but even i would probably take all the peices to a proffessional shop to get them done in an arvo rather than spend 3-4 days doing it myself ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i used 'plasticoat' (brand of black spray paint) black hi gloss, however it will never look exactly like the OEM paint.

Yes its black and yes from a distance its look great, but close up, the metallic black of the bike is a much sharper black, whereas the cowl paint seems to have more browny black warmth to it.

a nice deep shinny clear coat will help them look more a like.

beware these cowls though.. if you bought the same one i did, once you 'strap' it to the passanger seat it will start scratching all around the seat area where it touches the plastic bike of the bike.

use some black electrical tape to stop it from rubbing.
I know it wont be exactly like oem just hoping it would be close if I'm gonna spend the $$ on color rite paint. Thanks for the info and the warning.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well,

-Alex
Alex, I used the Color-Rite rattle can paint and top coat for my Kawasaki Candy Burnt Orange and all came out well. The can went far for coverage. I used an automotive primer and clear coat. The clear coat made it all pop.

If you are with the Ft. Campbell boys, give me a call when you get back. I've got some garage space you can use.

-Marc

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex, I used the Color-Rite rattle can paint and top coat for my Kawasaki Candy Burnt Orange and all came out well. The can went far for coverage. I used an automotive primer and clear coat. The clear coat made it all pop.

If you are with the Ft. Campbell boys, give me a call when you get back. I've got some garage space you can use.

-Marc
Thanks for the info. Waiting for the weather to warm up some before I paint it. Ill post pics when I do. And thanks for the offer, I'm out at Stewart in GA, wish I was at Campbell lol. I did happen to find a buddy with a garage he doesn't use :cool: So I'll be using that to paint in :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate everyone's advice. I painted the cowl today and boy it looks beautiful. Took my time and went slow. It's sitting on a shelf drying. I'll post pics after I wet sand it in a few days!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
added pics def looks awesome! ty to everyone who gave advice

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

1 - 15 of 15 Posts