RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I ended up with a sargent seat, and on this bikes, its unreal. Love it. I can drain the tank and be ready for more. Of course, wide open this bike will drain a tank in 22 minutes.

RPM , at 80, is right. 6th on this bike is overdrive. You can reach your highest top speed in 4th at high altitude, maybe 5th at sea level. You would need h2 like horsepower to hit the top of 6th. Its sure comfortable for long distances.

It really is a great bike. I wish Ivan had a reflash. Mine has its butterflies removed and a pcv, but you still feel the low end restrictions like we had on our stock ninjas.

I always set my oil to be at the bottom mark while on centerstand. This makes it just right when both wheels are on the ground. I agree on the light...would that be amazing, or what?

This bike needs a good break in. Mine is much smoother at 10,000 than it was at 5000. The bike broke in the night I ran the multiple tanks of fuel through it at high speed. Its smoother, runs cooler, etc.

I dont have linked brakes, so no help there. This bike also loves the 190/55 rear tire.

You should also drill and tap that extra hole for the rearsets. I believe, it was twowheeladdict who taught me this, but its awesome. For me, that is where the pegs belong. If you have the hold drilled, I can imaging a guy switching these mid tour just for a change of pace.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was able to do 5 hours on the stock seat coming home with no issue. That was AFTER 5 hours on the stock Triumph Explorer seat + Airhawk that morning and hanging around in the dealership for two hours. Yeah, there was a little butt burn here and there, but the seat doesn't lock me in and I can move around. I'm happy enough for now to keep it as is for awhile.

I thought so on RPM. I knew the magazines were trying to make the FJR just as special as the Connie by comparing only 5th gear RPM, even though they say "top gear" for each bike. 60mph on the Connie in OD is below 3000rpm! Magazines only want to applaud the latest and greatest. Like the French revolution; in that time, anything that was old was deplored for the simple fact that it was old. It had to be new and different to be accepted (and not beheaded!)

One day I might get to the place where I want to flash and mod, but I can't see it in the near future. I have A LOT to learn and explore on this bike as is. Don't mind at all allowing it plenty of time to break in. I look forward to it.

My oil is not visible at all on the center stand and it is not overfilled; if anything it is under filled. My carport is level. I have to lean the bike over more than I think necessary for the oil level to come up in the glass. I wonder if there is a spot on the bike I could put a spirit level to check this? Matters not; only 200 miles to go to the 600 mile first service. I will put in the oil myself according to specified volume and see what happens.

Definitely going to the 190/55 soon as the OE Bridgestones are over 5 years old. I am able to mount and balance my own tires, so no worries there.

It was Cool Daddy Grove who showed us the rearset mod on this forum. That's a good idea; up and back if I recall. I'm 6'3" so I might want to go down and forward!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Definitely going to the 190/55 soon as the OE Bridgestones are over 5 years old. I am able to mount and balance my own tires, so no worries there.

It was Cool Daddy Grove who showed us the rearset mod on this forum. That's a good idea; up and back if I recall. I'm 6'3" so I might want to go down and forward!
You will hopefully have the tires worn out by then. ;) That would be my goal anyway.

Even though you are tall, up and back might be more comfortable for you because it changes your entire riding position slightly. It will lower your knees and shift a little more weight off your butt. Wish I had tried it. I always rode with the balls of my feet on the pegs and sometimes my toes. It just worked better with the forward lean at the bars.

Don't just add the amount of oil the manual says because you may overfill. It is based on the optimum amount of oil draining out which is hard to get the same every time.

The stock seat is comfortable at first. Over time the foam will compress and you will feel like you are sitting on the pan. With the wide tank it is hard to get some of the weight on your upper thighs.

Regarding checking the oil: You should be able to find that balance point when you pull the bike towards you. If you are uncomfortable crouching down and pulling the bike to the balance point. (It is a heavy bike), then get an inspection mirror and straddle the bike while checking the level.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@twa… all great tips. Thank you. Yes, I see what you mean about the pegs now, which is what I was thinking going from the Explorer to the Concours yesterday. Yes, there is a lot of room for a tall guy to stretch out on a tall ADV bike, BUT your legs do little to nothing to support your body. It's all in the butt! Those bikes are really made for standing. Tension in the legs helps the whole body be supported; after all, the legs are the strongest part of the body.

On tires, I meant that even though the bike is showroom floor new, the tires are 2011 vintage according to the DOT stamp. So rubber is not as lively and compliant as it should be. So I'm gong to ride around a little on these, but change them out earlier than the tread might indicate. I know I can find hundreds of posts/opinions on this, but do y'all recommend the heavier GT-spec tires?

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I knew the tires were 2011. I figured you'd blast out 5000 miles in no time. ;)

I replaced the OEMs with Michelin Pilot Road 4 in stock size. Then, on a trip I hit the wear bar on the rear early with 1500 miles to go before getting home, so I replaced with a Contimotion. The contimotion does not have wear indicators on the centerline so you don't know they are shot until the thread shows. I changed the rear early in prep for a trip and went with the PR4 GT in the 55. Didn't really notice a difference.

Didn't wear out the GT, but since I toured and did work trips loaded down, I wanted the extra range Michelin advertised.

The Trophy came with Angel GTs. No complaints so far.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't plan on being a prolific forum poster with this bike, but what is the protocol when you're a member here, ZGGTR, and COG? Copy and paste the post in all places?

Anyway, just changed oil/filter/rear end at 624 miles. Those tasks are a pleasure on this bike; not a stray drop of fluid anywhere. There was exactly 3qts of oil in the bike, including filter, which is why I couldn't register a level. The Japan made Denso Kawi filter was old school fiber chunk without end caps. It was jam packed and there was all kinds of crud and shavings in the can. I guess it did it's job but I'm lucky I didn't burn up the engine.

Went with Mobil1 4T 10w-40 and a Mobil1 M1-110 filter. I used all but 5.5oz of 4 quarts, which put me about a third of the way up from the low line (not the low-low line). That's holding the bike balanced on wheels. On center stand, the level is midway between the two lower lines.

Went with 75w-90 MasterPro full synthetic in the rear. I think this is OReilly house brand.

Still EXACTLY the experience and ride I was looking for. Ordered some protection farkles last night, though, because I noticed my winter pants scuff and scratch the tank/fairing sides.

Full TechSpec snake skin pads for tank and panniers
Cox Racing radiator guard in silver
Fenda Extenda
Grab On grip covers
Heli Bars riser blocks with power and RAM ball
RAM mounts for brake and clutch clamps

That should be a good start. Calsci vented screen in medium will be next. Love the bike.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Protocol would be to copy paste the post in the various forums.

I see you are already catching mod-it-is and only one week in. :)

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Might as well go ahead and get it out of the way. Basic protection, comfort, and convenience mods are all I require. Performance? I can't use all it has stock.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Couple of guys at zggtr are giving me heck about my 3.82 quart oil change. On level concrete, with the bike balanced vertical on the tires, this is the cold oil level. Am I good? EDIT: ahh, I see a little arrow on the left pointing to the ideal level (maybe?). May add the rest of that 4th quart to see what happens. EDIT2: 4qts brought level to exactly between the two lines so I'm satisfied.

IMG_20151014_111425_edit.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
First ride with new farkles installed. Not sure I like the Heli riser blocks. They look great, installed great, very high quality, but the new riding position might be uncomfortable for me. A little forward lean goes a long way toward comfort and control on this bike. I'm 6'3" so maybe they aren't for me. More testing to come.

I like all the other stuff, especially the TechSpec snake skin. Really nice product.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Heres a fun little mod for this bike. Not so important now, but as the shift lever wears in, it developed play. This kit stops that nonsense.

Highly recommended, and its cheap. New "Bearinged Up" Shifter

At your height, you might like that alternate footpeg position that stayed secret for so long. It fits me better, for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good news. My problem wasn't the risers- they are fine. It was my ATGATT yesterday. I put my overpants on with my work khakis... bad combo. I was bunched up and sliding in the seat. Plus I was conscious of the zippers rubbing on the tank above the TechSpec pads. Not a good test ride. Today went out twice in my Sugoi midzeros and Phoenix outfit. Much better!

I think I will move the rearsets; I can tell it would be an improvement. Still love it 100%.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I fought the urge to get risers, and instead worked on posture, hand position, core strength. Wanted to give the stock position some time before making any changes. I did end up changing the seat when I got good deal on a used sargent with rear pod.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Good news. My problem wasn't the risers- they are fine. It was my ATGATT yesterday. I put my overpants on with my work khakis... bad combo. I was bunched up and sliding in the seat. Plus I was conscious of the zippers rubbing on the tank above the TechSpec pads. Not a good test ride. Today went out twice in my Sugoi midzeros and Phoenix outfit. Much better!

I think I will move the rearsets; I can tell it would be an improvement. Still love it 100%.
Its so easy to switch between positions. The brake side is tow bolts, and thats it.

You do need to re-adjust the shift linkage, but otherwise you could do it at a rest stop on a trip.

I thought of one other cool product. I believe its BDF that makes them. Hes on the concours 14 forums.

I wont try to explain what it does, but its well worth having. It may avoid your having to smack the ignition switch with a hammer.

KiPASS Issue

Ill bet he still makes them?

By the way, hes made some very fast coast to coast rides on his c14. Its well worth searching for.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts