RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to say goodbye i sold my bike last friday and now am moving on to a cruiser i hope everyone has as much fun on there bikes and on this forum as i have in the last three years. jason :alcy:

·
Registered
540 Posts
you have gone to the dark side!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Hone your skills on a 650R and then move on to a cruiser. Smart move if you are not a double the speed limit rider.

It requires more skill to ride a cruiser at the same speeds that you ride the 650R. So now you can have more challenges without increasing your speed.

Move from a 650R to a 600 SS and it requires less skill to ride at the same speeds so folks end up going faster which increases risk.

·
Registered
586 Posts
why not keep both?!?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didn't keep both because the ninja became unbearable to ride because i have severe arthritis in my knees and being in the sport riding position caused them to be extremely sore just by going around the block. decided it wasn't worth keeping so i sold it and bought the cruiser.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up a 2001 Suzuki Marauder 805 don't have any pics yet but I will post some later when I get some

·
Registered
540 Posts
traitor

·
Registered
95 Posts
I picked up a 2001 Suzuki Marauder 805 don't have any pics yet but I will post some later when I get some
That should be a sweet ride. A friend has an earlier version that is loaded for bear. It is neat to crack the throttle on these shaft drive bikes because the whole thing lifts, unlike our chain drives. And it is even neater to have the front tire up though three gears. His is a 1200. If the weather comes around he asked me to ride it at the track this week (1/4 mile).

Be safe.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have fun.
And stay safe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
not a traitor just something different and i still have a kawasaki atv in the stable yet so the world is still right.
just yankin yer chain man. a bike is a bike. enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Move from a 650R to a 600 SS and it requires less skill to ride at the same speeds so folks end up going faster which increases risk.
I disagree with you about the "less skill", the throttle is more sensitive, the power is harder to manage and they are WAY less forgiving than the 650's. I put over 40,000 miles on my 650 and i cant tell you from experience that the 600SS is a whole different world. JMHO

·
Registered
540 Posts
..don't you mean, Just Yankin yer Drive Sha....".....yeah, not going to finish that one. :spit:

Have fun with that Marauder, those are awesome motorcycles! I'll admit, the cruiser thing HAS crossed my mind more than once. When does the Ducati Diavel come out again? :FIREdevil
Diavel? thats funny.My nickname online used to be "Diavol" for Devil in russian (i'm russian). Spelled out phonetically obviously.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
That should be a sweet ride. A friend has an earlier version that is loaded for bear. It is neat to crack the throttle on these shaft drive bikes because the whole thing lifts, unlike our chain drives. And it is even neater to have the front tire up though three gears. His is a 1200.
Be safe.
a 2001 marauder is 800cc and chain-driven.

in 2004 suzuki came out with a 1600cc, shaft-driven marauder, very similar to kawasaki's mean streak. in fact, the marauder was a combined effort with kawi in a short-lived semi merger/participation/whatever it was called.

as far as riding comfort: i have concluded, now that i own a cruiser and a sport bike, that i need a break after riding either one for two hours. both are comfortable to start with, but after two hours: UGH!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I disagree with you about the "less skill", the throttle is more sensitive, the power is harder to manage and they are WAY less forgiving than the 650's. I put over 40,000 miles on my 650 and i cant tell you from experience that the 600SS is a whole different world. JMHO
I was mostly referring to cornering skill, not throttle control.

Read my post carefully. I did say riding at the same speeds. I've ridden 600SS bikes and they are pretty tame at low RPMs. The point I was trying to make is the the SS bikes have superior suspension and put you in a postion made for cornering.
So, if you can confidently negotiate curves at 20 above the speed limit on a 650R it is easier to negotiate those same curves at the same speed on a 600SS. The issue comes into play because the same speed will feel slower on the SS bike which will lure you into hitting the corners faster.

I ride everything from a dual sport 250 to a 1700 CC touring bike. I takes way more skill to negotiate the curves on a 900 lb touring bike with floorboards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts