RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Awesome! Performed my first service this week. Crazy that triumph says you only have to replace the rear differential fluid once at 500 miles. I will probably change it every 10,000 or 1 year. Waiting on my 'dealertool' from the UK, so I can run the diagnostics and reset the miles to next service.
Yes; you should change it at least every 10k miles. There's a guy on our forum that wrote a service manual for the Explorer (I bought one) and that's what he recommends based on experience. Lots of other guys say the same thing. I'm changing my oil/filter at 5000 mile intervals (Rotella T6 and Mobil1 M1-110 filter) and plan to do it that often. Our guy also recommends the dealertool, so that is on my list. Are you going to do your own cam chain and valves or let the dealer do it?

I've attached a file of all the readily available oil filters that fit in case you want to put on a long-body automotive filter. Did all the measurements myself. I'm running a Bosch D3323 Distance Plus right now, but going to the Mobil1 M1-110. The Fram XG7317 is also a good choice. I was going to do a detailed test of all these filters, but work got in the way severely. I'm going to cut open a few of interest for people so I can keep you informed if you like (I have 35 different filters!). Here are links to my discussion and pictures of all the filters if you ever get interested. Nothing like a good oil filter thread!

Filter discussion thread: Filter Fun (or, DaddyFlip is an idiot)
Oil filter pix: Filter Fun, Part 2 (or, "The Oil Filter Test Thread")

Attachments

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
That fluid is like we use in our cars, and does last forever. One bmw model never even came with a drain plug.

Still, at 4.00 to change it? I do the same.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That fluid is like we use in oir cars, and does last forever. One bmw model never even came with a drain plug.

Still, at 4.00 to change it? I do the same.
The Concours calls for changing it every oil change.

I changed it in my truck that did heavy towing.

Aren't those the same BMW that were destroying rear ends?

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
twa- here is a quickie review of a handful of oil filters I did for a guy on the Explorer forum. I have 25 other filters to cut open and review. I plan to conduct a full, studio quality review and make final recommendations.

Filter Fun, Part 2 (or, "The Oil Filter Test Thread")

Executive summary: There is nothing wrong with the Triumph filter. A good alternative is the Mobil1 M1-110, but it costs 30% more. A budget alternative is the MicroGard MGL7317, which is constructed like the Mobil1 (in the same plant), but has a little less media. Even though WIX makes the Triumph filter, WIX brand alternatives (including NAPA) are not the same quality of construction as the OEM filter. Avoid Bosch/Purolator filters.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I will buy official triumph parts from my dealer until my warranty is expired.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The Concours calls for changing it every oil change.

I changed it in my truck that did heavy towing.

Aren't those the same BMW that were destroying rear ends?

lol.....yes, i set you guys up for the punchline! How much does the trophy hold, in volume? The c14 does not hold much

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
lol.....yes, i set you guys up for the punchline! How much does the trophy hold, in volume? The c14 does not hold much
Maybe 7 oz. Not much. I didn't measure and used the same bottle from my last Concours service. Filled until it started to overflow. Absorbed the excess until it stopped. The crush washers cost more than the fluid. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I know you said you will follow the maintenance schedule with OE parts, but I wanted to share this with you. I changed the oil on the ZR7 today and compared the filter elements. There is no comparison. New ZR7 on left, used Triumph OE middle, used ZR7 on right:

IMG_20150731_162551_edit.jpg IMG_20150731_162626_edit.jpg

Now consider Triumph wants you to change oil and filter every 10,000 miles and Kawi says 6000 for the ZR7. I changed the one on the right after 3000 miles. I decided to change the oil every 5000 on the Triumph. I don't think Triumph knows what they are doing- seriously. I'm oh so close to trading the Tex on a ZX14.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I think you have a point if visual indicators was how oil was judged. Color freaks us out, but doesn't mean much.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I think you have a point if visual indicators was how oil was judged. Color freaks us out, but doesn't mean much.
You're a funny guy. I was pointing out the physical size of the filters and their potential comparative filtration capacity. Triumph says that tiny filter is good for 10,000 miles in our 1200cc triple engines. It is a very basic filter element of medium quality. Kawi specs 6000 miles for this big filter of equal or better quality. Engines and oils are better today than they were decades ago, but I believe in shorter OCIs than the manufacturer specifies. In this case, I believe Triumph is overly optimistic in their OCI specification. And I believe they are reckless in the final drive OCI (never, after the initial change at 500 miles). I'm not sure why they do this except to use long maintenance intervals as a sales tool, which is a big deal in the European bike segment.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Have you seen the oil filter toyota uses for its v6 models, like you might see in a tundra? Its about half the size of your smallest filter, and good for 10k.

Modern engines could likely go their entire life without an new oil filter, and be just fine, in filtering ability. The larger appears to give more security, but only reality if neither are catching much, whats the point of ever changing?

They are made from paper, and over time the paper can degrade.

So, the makes are saying, in 6000 or 10000 miles neither filter will be clogging, but the paper may be degrading, so change them.

Thats whats going on after the first filter change. Neither filter does much, filtering, if anything, but you'll avoid the paper coming apart, but never come close to clogging a filter.

If you ever found a clogged filter,something else in your engine would be giving up.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
You giving up on touring? Or going to keep the zr7 for touring?
Not giving up on touring; just thinking about my options. Yes- the 7 is fully capable of the type of solo, non-stop touring I do and I have it for local joy riding and homemade bagging within a 12-hour radius. In regard to the TEX, since the wobble has gone, a significant vibration in the bars and pegs has replaced it! Rode to the gulf coast 7-hours and the hands and feet are still tingling four days later. So more troubleshooting to be done.

I'm going to go look at/ride the BMW 1200RS, the 1600GT, and a ZX14. My closest Triumph dealer has three C14s in the $10-13k range (various new and used). One of them is pretty well appointed: a 2012 black, 4900 miles, with a Givi 47L top box, crash bars, Heli-risers, Two Brothers black pipe, and a Murph's Kit Audiovox cruise already installed… $10,600. I may trade for that and several sets of tires!

How is the Trophy doing? I hope well.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How is the Trophy doing? I hope well.
Just got in my Dealertool to connect to the OBD2 port. Waiting on other parts to trickle in, then I will get it ready for a big fall ride up into Canada. The US bikes come with the low seat for some reason, so I need to truly air hawk and/or sheepskin on the seat and do a long day.

Besides being too hot to ride a fully faired bike, I managed to hit 900 miles on it. Love that I don't have to use the key to get in the bags. Makes them a lot more convenient.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I think I have found the Connie I want to trade for- a 2012 with 4950 miles. The dealer is asking 10,600 which is exactly average NADA retail.

It has the following additions:
47L Givi Monokey top box
Audiovox cruise
Engine and pannier crashbars (the police style)
Folding highway pegs
Folding passenger floorboards
Dark tint tall windscreen (don't know brand; looks like Cee Bailey Ultra Tour)
Heli risers
Two Brothers Black carbon fiber exhaust
New Michelin PR4s
Tank pad

What should I look/listen for? I found a list of some things on the net:

oil leaks from the valve-cover gasket on the left front side
front brake rotors sometimes warp, keep an eye out for the lever pulsing as you hit the binders
rear brake pedal sticks on some bikes, so inspect the rotor for discoloration that indicates overheating
tire-pressure sensors with low or defective batteries
KIPASS keyless ignition switches can be sticky

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
See if you can still extend the warranty. Over at www.zggtr.com there is a thread about extended warranty for a little over 300 dollars. The valve cover leak is common and happens about time for a valve check.

How did you like the fit and the ride? The power can be intoxicating. Be careful.

I paid 12,800 in May 2012 for my new Concours.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Check out sport cycles of Rockingham, NC for pricing on New ones for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Yes, I see. $11k for a 2014 Connie new. And I am going to find out about extended warranty. Static fit is good. I haven't ridden it yet, but hope to when I get back next week.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Is it me Two Wheel, Or does that look exactly like a Copy of a BMW R1200RT? WTF?

IF your happy, I'm happy!

I still want a Connie!!!!

Cheers and Enjoy Triumphs latest offerings.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts