RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and rode home on a brand new 2014 Triumph Trophy. The concours is an amazing SPORT Tourer. Got me in trouble with the law a few times. It took a lot of will power to keep it at ticket free speeds.

The Trophy is an amazing Luxury Sport Tourer. This thing has so many bells and whistles. It even interrupted my music to inform me of a severe thunderstorm entering the county.

I converted the Concours back to stock last night. Pulled everything that wasn't glued down. It is actually a beautiful bike from the factory. Especially the 2012 since it is almost all blacked out. I have ridden though almost 30 states on the Concours and 30,000 miles of memories.

Now when the free trunk and heated grips come in, I will have to see if my wife can be happy riding on the back of the Trophy. If so, then the Voyager will be on the chopping block as well.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Whats the power like on the trophy?

For all the power my concours 14 has, its sure top end based. Way too top end oriented. Awesome for all those times we get to cruise at 130. uh, yea.....

I liked the look of the trophy, in person. It looked very....whats the word? Compact. Extremely high quality paint, fit and finish.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the power like on the trophy?

For all the power my concours 14 has, its sure top end based. Way too top end oriented. Awesome for all those times we get to cruise at 130. uh, yea.....

I liked the look of the trophy, in person. It looked very....whats the word? Compact. Extremely high quality paint, fit and finish.
The power doesn't feel as linear as the Concours. I haven't looked at curves though. The trophy will let you know when to shift while the Connie hits the rev limiter without warning. I am still getting the feel of it and have been distracted by learning all the bells and whistles before really getting on it. It goes into corners a lot easier than the Concours, even with the 55 tire mounted on the Connie. Windshield works better. electronically adjustable suspension, cruise control, all kinds of information can be displayed on the screen to include a digital speed which should have been on the Connie with the small speedo numbers it has.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
You dog! The torque curve for that triple is flat. I've had a chronic chassis/spoke wheel wobble/vibe problem with the Explorer that Triumph and two dealers can't fix. New tires didn't help. I'm thinking about trading for a black Trophy, a Road King, or a Nomad. No complaints with the triple engine or cruise. I can't ride without cruise. Getting 42-49 mpg loaded solo on 87 octane corn, +3mpg non-corn. My legs don't fit into the fairing pockets on the Trophy as well as the big ADV bike. Love to hear how you get on with it (that's how the Brits talk).

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You dog! The torque curve for that triple is flat. I've had a chronic chassis/spoke wheel wobble/vibe problem with the Explorer that Triumph and two dealers can't fix. New tires didn't help. I'm thinking about trading for a black Trophy, a Road King, or a Nomad. No complaints with the triple engine or cruise. I can't ride without cruise. Getting 42-49 mpg loaded solo on 87 octane corn, +3mpg non-corn. My legs don't fit into the fairing pockets on the Trophy as well as the big ADV bike. Love to hear how you get on with it (that's how the Brits talk).
I was thinking about sending you a pm. Running on 87 is a pleasant surprise. The Trophy is more aerodynamic so should get better mileage than the explorer. Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your triumph. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I was thinking about sending you a pm. Running on 87 is a pleasant surprise. The Trophy is more aerodynamic so should get better mileage than the explorer. Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your triumph. Hope you get it sorted.
Mileage will be close, I reckon. Better aerodynamics and slightly taller gearing favor the Trophy, but the Tropy is +100 lbs.

I'm working on my wobble problem. It's definitely the wheels and I have hi-res video to prove it. Working with Triumph and dealers from a distance is difficult. They were off kilter from day one.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Mileage will be close, I reckon. Better aerodynamics and slightly taller gearing favor the Trophy, but the Tropy is +100 lbs.

I'm working on my wobble problem. It's definitely the wheels and I have hi-res video to prove it. Working with Triumph and dealers from a distance is difficult. They were off kilter from day one.
Have they tested the wheel with the tire taken off to see if it's true? It seems like the obvious answer to why it would wobble. That...or the steering head bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
twa- I'm not hijacking your thread; only augmenting since HbK asked, if okay with you.

HbK- When I test rode the bike in July last year, I told the salesman that there was wheel wobble/vibration and that it would need to be sorted. I took delivery with all options except TPMS, which the dealer would install on the first service at 500 miles. They removed the OE tires and installed TPMS. On the work order it states that customer wants spokes, wheels, forks checked for wobble. They did not find anything. I started a case with Triumph, but it did not go well early. I rode 5 hours to a dealer in Tyler, TX. They decided it was the tire and ordered another. The tech said he trued the rear wheel, but there was no improvement. He also checked and adjusted the headstock and rebalanced both wheels.

Recently, I went back for the new tire, but it did not make a difference. The tech said the wheel was in spec "according to his Harley data". The headstock had shaken loose and required a shim so it could be tightened. Now that it's tight, all of the wheel wobble results in significant hand and butt vibration that gives me a headache after 200 miles. So I decided my last try would be to put on a new set of tires (since most people believe the OE Metzeler tires are not any good). I went with Bridgestone T30 (successor to BT023, which has been GREAT on my ZR7) That did not help at all, even though I mounted and balanced them myself. Today, I took off the wheels and spun them on my balancer to make a video (attached).

According to some sources (like Woody's Wheels in Colorado), these aluminum, tubeless spoke wheels cannot be trued because of the design. I agree with that. The spokes are not designed to move the rim.

https://youtu.be/oQNGkPEvmnA

Here's what it looks like riding down the road BEFORE headstock was tightened.
https://youtu.be/Ejc5Oh-Ng0Q

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Why have they not tried another wheel...and/or steering head bearings? It's bound to be one of those two things. I would think liability would get them off their a**es!

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I think because I'm too patient and don't raise neck. Going to push this week. I hope you have a good dealer, twa.

EDIT: Maybe I should raise neck and heck.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
My WIFE called corporate and threatened! I got a call from the head of Triumph NA customer service. His statement was, "our bikes are designed to wobble," and "they all do that." Imagine my disgust when I heard that! I have documentation going back to the first service and about 12 emails between me and customer service. Triumph dealers basically suck in North America. I have tried to deal with four - no fun at all. It doesn't appear that Triumph dealers enjoy being Triumph dealers.

They have been having issues- lots of them. I did read that article before I bought mine. They got all those issues sorted out; my bike shouldn't be affected. For those that were, Triumph offered head replacements. I haven't heard of of anyone having problems that got the head replaced.

EDIT: Okay twa, this is an official hijack now. Sorry about that. Just keep an eye on your bike and don't cut your dealer any slack if you discover something out of joint. I said that to make it look like all of this has been on topic. Love your bike. BTW, all the guys on the tiger forum who switched from the Explorer to the Trophy said it was the best thing they ever did. Hmmmm… I think it was YOU who (A) talked me into the Explorer and (B) said YOU would have an adventure bike by this past spring. Boy, I walked into THAT one!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any update on how the new Trophy is doing?
If I, a total stranger, talked you into buying the explorer, then I need to switch careers and go into sales. Nah. Then I would have to shave and dress nice.

I recall saying to take a look at the explorer because of it's size and your size. Thought it would be a good fit.

I just hit 500 miles on the Trophy and was able to squeeze in a 60 mile backroad ride this morning before the heat kicked up.

It has a slight shimmy if I have the cruise on and ride no hands. Doesn't get worse, but is there none the less. Don't notice it when my hands are on the grips. Most of my bikes will do that though.

Finally getting into the throttle and this engine pulls nicely. It will pull on your wrists when you get on it. The Bluetooth is a little weak compared to my GPS and phone. If I get 20 feet away from the bike it gets spotty.

Those are just minor nits. The suspension and handling make this bike a dream to ride.

My buddy had a triple ST that had 90,000 miles on it when he sold it. Hopefully I got a good one that was built on a Tuesday around 9:00AM.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
With regards to the wobble, try something silly and see what happens. Remove the windshield, and test. Air pressure can aggravate things.

Having said that, this is likely a steering head issue. They found an issue in there already. As far as having to add a shim.....???? I've changed a lot of bearings and shimming....Never had to except one bike that had been neglect. We had to cut up a coke can to get the bearing race to stay in the steering head.

I dont know what the shimmed, but if it was a race, I'd be calling lawyer to get info on a buy back or frame replacement. Mention danger, safety and wobble as you communicate with them.

I like the trophy looks. Reminds me of an fjr and concours 14 combo.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I would watch that shimmy like a hawk; not supposed to do that. Also, be warned that there are 27 pages of posts on the Explorer forum about a Triumph known issue with the gearbox skipping gears and not downshifting. Apparently, Triumph is building new parts for this- could be a recall/service bulletin coming. Haven't checked the Trophy forum for same.

As for mine, I can't get anyone else to say that a shim is/was needed in the steering head. I think dealer #2 was trying to patch up and get me out of their hair. Having both wheels replaced at dealer #3 sometime this month. If that doesn't cure my wobble, then I'm going to lose whatever it takes and trade for a Connie or K1300, etc.

rc- don't know to whom you were speaking about removing the shield, but I have removed mine, tried three different ones in various positions and also with a bracket to move the screen out and reduce the negative pressure. Also with and without luggage, various suspension settings, two sets of tires, etc. One thing that is common to the Explorer and Trophy is the rear wheel bearing on the single-sided swing arm. Some have reported excessive play here, though Triumph will claim it is in-spec.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
If you eliminated the shield, it sounds as if bearing points are all thats left. A loose steering head can damages a race very quickly. Was it ever loose? Its easy, and cheap to replace these bearings. They have to be perfect, no exceptions.

You can get by with the others being rough, or having play, but not there.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
It was loose to the point that I looked down one day and I was riding straight, but my handlebars were pointing to the right. I was able to put the bike on center stand, stand in front of the bike, clamp the front wheel between my knees, and straighten the bars by holding the grips and twisting them back left! Loose enough for ya? HA! There was also a clunking in the steering head when applying the front brakes. I could make it clunk just by sitting on the bike, moving it slightly forward then applying the brake… "ker-clunk". This is when dealer #2 said they installed a shim and retightened. I don't know what they did. Since this is tightened, more of the wheel wobble transfers as vibration to my hands and butt. It's like a nightmare.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the new wheels on the Explorer today. Wobble gone.
Awesome! Performed my first service this week. Crazy that triumph says you only have to replace the rear differential fluid once at 500 miles. I will probably change it every 10,000 or 1 year. Waiting on my 'dealertool' from the UK, so I can run the diagnostics and reset the miles to next service.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts