RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us like to maintain our own motorcycles. So I thought it would be a good reminder for all of us to pay special attention to safety when it comes to cleaning and lubing the chain.

The following link shows what can happen if your not careful!

http://www.canadianrider.com/safety.htm

Andy

·
Registered
286 Posts
I, sort of, know the guy this happened to. He used to be on the VFR list. The incident in question brought up much debate on the VFR list. Funny enough, he was a smart enough guy otherwise. Bit of squid, but aren't we all?

He ended up giving up riding for some reason that I can't remember. I don't think that it was totally related to the chain incidient though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
no fingers

Ugh! Poor devil. At least he got his fingers back on. I started working in machine shops 25+ years ago and the very first thing you learn is to remove all clothing and jewelry below the elbow if you want to keep your body parts where they're supposed to be.

NEVER, EVER hold loose rags, cloth or even thick, as in multiple layers of paper anywhere near any moving equipment. Gears, chains, even small roughly surfaced rotating shafts WILL grab whatever they touch and then it's good-bye.

I could tell you stories............

Keep your long flowing hair away from this stuff too. Nothing like going bald, as in scalpless, quicker than you can blink!

Don't become too familiar with your equipment. You may "love" your ride, but it does'nt give a damn about you.

Keep your wits about you when you work on this stuff. Pay attention!!! Losing body parts HURTS!

Sorry for the ramble but I get really pissed when I see something like this when I know a little bit of thinking could have saved this guy a whole lot of pain and suffering.

BE CAREFUL! TAKE YOUR TIME! THINK, THINK, THINK!!!!!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
A buddy who I roadraced with lost part of his thumb trying to clean excess lube off the chain with a rag while the bike was running and in gear on a racing stand. This was the one race that season I didn't go to, because I had a wedding to attend (not mine, thankfully). His nickname after that was "Thumby"

·
Registered
164 Posts
i spin the rear tire by hand, and one night after riding i got the tiny plastic tube out of the aerosol can near the rear sprocket and it mangled the $%^# out of it! this is still a good story to read because i still didnt think the chain/sprocket was all that dangerous. i will probably think of those pics every time i lube my chain.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Falcon,

That was the reason I posted the message. I wanted everyone to think about those pictures everytime they clean and lube the chain.

Even spinning the tire by hand could cause serious damage to the fingers should they get caught.

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Re: no fingers

"Don't become too familiar with your equipment. You may "love" your ride, but it does'nt give a damn about you."

Well put!

Emrah

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got some long hair. Which reminds me, you ever had a creeper tangled up tight to your head while your 5 feet up under your truck? NOT fun.:laugh: Well, it's funny now but it wasn't then:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts