RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rubber things go on the passenger foot peg brackets and the cases slide into them to locate.

Under the tool kit you will see 4 bolts the thread into the rear fender. Undo them and two bolts just in back of the battery on the left and right side of the plastic under tray. The under tray should be loose but its over two tabs at the front. You have to spread it out slightly to lower it.

After you lower the under tray you will see a cut out on each side to follow that you have to cut out to mount the rails. Cut those out. Put the back bolts in where the cut outs are first, then the front bolts. Oddly they have to be done in this order. Also it's easy to get the front bolts cross threaded because everything is a tight fit. So make sure you hand start them.

BEFORE YOU DO ALL THIS PUT SOME TAPE OVER THE MOUNT FOR THE SHOCK ADJUSTER AND THE UNDER TRAY TO KEEP THE ADJUSTER FROM SCRATCHING THE UNDER TRAY. The ECU is bolted to the under tray. You can detach it or just be sure you don't strain the wiring to it. I had enough slack that I didn't detach it.
Actually the rails can be bolted in any order, rear bolts do not have to be done first.
Also its still unclear if you reuse the rubber&metal vibration washers when you reinstall the front bolts.
Will work either way however I think kawasaki does not state to install them. Doing so simply adds like 1/8" spacing/width. If you do use them you don't need to install the rubber strips as the bolt ends do not protrude.

·
Registered
6 Posts
COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/999693106/ii_999693106.pdf

I found this by going to the Kawasaki website, clicking on accessories, then inputing the bikes year and model. Then I selected the accessory, and there was a link for the instructions.
Much easier to view than the paper version.
It says nothing about reusing the rubber&metal spacer/collars... Odd that factory handrails would required the rubber vibration dampening washers but the other rails don't. I'll bet at least 35% of bag installations use/reinstall the washers/collars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread, but. I replaced a sidebag, couldn't find instructions for removing the cylinder. It can be done. Inside, 4 - T-30 screws, 2 small phillips, Outside, 3 tiny phillips on the bike side of the bag. There is a glue strip under those 3 tiny screws, but will come off with a little work. Once the "cap" is off, remove the 3 small phillips holding the actuator below the cylinder, depress the cam on the cylinder with a small flat screwdriver. Cylinder will pop out when you get it right.

That being said, if your cylinder isn't in good shape you may want to purchase a new one to avoid having to tear your sidebag apart should it fail. I rarely use that bag, after removing, hosed it thoroughly with WD-40, looks and works great.

Thanks for the install instructions, really helped.

Keep an eye on your hinge pins, they drifted halfway out, went to open it one day, broke out the plastic hinge because there wasn't enough pin contact, been nursing it for a year. May be able to repair. Very bad design. Also low sided on that saddlebag, some scratches.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts