RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause my bike to run rich? I've got the correct map on it and it still puffs out black smoke and when I pull my spark plugs they are black and smell of gasoline.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Check to make sure the air filter is clean .. might not be the only cause, but it can be one of them

·
Registered
724 Posts
What programmer are you using? Perhaps you should bypass it to make sure it isn't the problem.

Jon

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Thunder tornado intake, Im going to try to clean and oil the filter. And I'm using a pcIII and with it unpluged it still seems too rich. Lots of smoke and the smell of gasoline is very noticeable.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
90% chance the throttle position wire connection is faulty and it used that crappy wire tap and wasn't soldered.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You say you have the right map. Which one do you have and how do you know it is the right one? I'm asking because I thought you didn't have a custom map, which is the only way to have the correct map for your mods plus environment, etc.

·
Registered
998 Posts
90% chance the throttle position wire connection is faulty and it used that crappy wire tap and wasn't soldered.
Good point, could even be just not having the throttle position set correctly. I believe most have reported that when the throttle position wiring is faulty that they get the dreaded efi idiot light on the gauge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the map dreamstreak sent me, I also have another which MikeG sent me. Thank you both very much by the way. And my throttle position connection is soldered on and I'm not getting a efi light. Do you guys get much exhaust smoke on your bikes?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Only some moisture on warmup in cold weather. I'd still check the wire. The light usually comes on if the sensor itself is bad, not if the connection is bad. That only sends an erratic signal to the PC3 thus pumping tons or no fuel through the injectors.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I used the map dreamstreak sent me, I also have another which MikeG sent me. Thank you both very much by the way. And my throttle position connection is soldered on and I'm not getting a efi light. Do you guys get much exhaust smoke on your bikes?
Climate will still affect how efficient the map is and could cause rich or lean areas. I don't know where you live, so I don't know how it compares to Atlanta. I would at least hook up your laptop to the PCIII and make sure the throttle position is set correctly. Then run the bike with the computer still hooked up and see how steady the throttle position stays when slowly reving it up and down.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
This thread is interesting to me because I have the Cobra FI2000R and dont seem to have any issues with temp variations. I wonder what the difference would be?
I noticed on the PC3, there seems to be an infinate number of maps to chose from which makes me wonder if I'm getting the best performance out of my FI system with the Cobra.
Anyone have an insight on the core differences between the Cobra and PC3?

Im hoping I'm not starting a debate here similar to which motor oil is best or who's Dad can whip whos.

2007 Meanstreak 1600
Cobra FI2000R
V&H Bigshots
Altered Caddman Kit with closed K&N Filter on left-Snorkel still in and Open K&N on Right-Marbled
Reed Valves in with exhaust ports muffled to eliminate clickity clack
Freaking Loudass Stebel Nautilis Horn

Attachments

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
PC3 lets you add AND subtract fuel and it does so for every throttle position and rpm. The cobra only has a few adjustments which if I remember correctly are, idle, part throttle, full throttle, and an across the board increase or something along those lines. I think a pc3 is better to have but if you already have a cobra and are happy with it I wouldn't spend the extra money to switch. I doubt you'd see/feel a big enough difference to feel like it was worth the expense without a custom tune and it'd be somewhat spendy.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Do you guys get much exhaust smoke on your bikes?
Only while it's still in cold start mode. Once you have reasonable map instead of the stock part throttle lean settings the ECU's cold start mapping becomes a little rich. No smoke once it's got some temp. There's an air temp sensor and a barometric pressure sensor (and a water temp sensor) so the EFI is self compensating for altitude and ambient temperature. When you installed your intake you did install and hook up the temp sensor in the new intake? It was in the stock backing plate. If that isn't connected you'll be sooty rich.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i did connect it. And I do notice once its warmed up it does not smoke unless i really rev it will give a little poof of smoke.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
While the fi2000 doesn't have a gazillion settings, it does do it's job....keep you from running lean. Cobra put a lot of research in it from what I've read and they claim to work best with thier exhausts? Sometimes simple is GOOD!!! Never had a problem with smoke or how it runs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good point, could even be just not having the throttle position set correctly. I believe most have reported that when the throttle position wiring is faulty that they get the dreaded efi idiot light on the gauge.
dream we both have the same setup from exhaust to motor bore and intake what map did you use on the pc3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts