RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation with my local dealer about the 2011 Kawasakis. He said the rep told him there was going to be a new Vulcan this year. VN1700J I believe is what he said. We both immediately came to the same conclusion: MEAN STREAK. It could be that they are just coming out with an ABS Nomad, but one can hope.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Unless they do something drastic it'll still be portly and underpowered. I'm sure it'll handle and brake great like the current version but hopefully they won't call it a power cruiser unless they actually give it some power. I don't think the 1700 is such an amazing leap in technology, power, or efficiency that I'd trade mine in.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
And please, Kawasaki, for the love of everything holy, unholy, or inbetween... Do NOT come out with a 900 Custom rebadged as a Mean Streak!!!!!!

If that happens, I might just have to burn down a dealership or something. :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw a new 900 custom - looked nice, good color scheme matte grays and blacks....yet a little small and a skinny front tire. The guy who owned it was new to biking and took a look at my ride and went WOW then had lots of questions. At 7K mi since 10/09 she still looks good - hope to keep it for a while.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to repower it and add a sixth gear!!

dj
The 1700s do have a sixth gear and belt drive. They definitely need to be opened up though. My Voyager cruises at interstate speeds doing 2800 RPMs.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was having a conversation with my local dealer about the 2011 Kawasakis. He said the rep told him there was going to be a new Vulcan this year. VN1700J I believe is what he said. We both immediately came to the same conclusion: MEAN STREAK. It could be that they are just coming out with an ABS Nomad, but one can hope.
Nope, no new MS as far as I'm informed. There is however a new model coming out, something that's supposed to complement the Voyager (something in between the voyager and the CT(nomad), but more than that he didn't want to tell me...).

·
Registered
406 Posts
^ You shoulda jumped him. I understand waterboarding is very efficient. :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
No sport cruiser? WTF? Don't they see the trend?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, no new MS as far as I'm informed. There is however a new model coming out, something that's supposed to complement the Voyager (something in between the voyager and the CT(nomad), but more than that he didn't want to tell me...).
Mmm. Between the Voyager and the Nomad. A Voymad? A Noyager?

A Voyager without the trunk? A Nomad with lowers and a trunk?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

A big hefty underpowered touring cruiser with a windshield, luggage stuff, and a comfy back seat for yer ol' lady what?

Oh, hai Kawasaki. Welcome to bland.

GIMME SPORT, DAG NAB IT!!!!!! Yes. Dag. Nab. It.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Well, that's what he said. I have no idea... *lol*

IF you ask me there are areas where a new model is more needed than between voyager and the nomad. E.g. in the MS area or in the middle weight cruiser segment (1100-1300cc).

·
Registered
141 Posts
They stopped selling the Mean Streak in the UK in '08 I think may be earlier. Brings us back to discussions about "niche", they often get ignored.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
They stopped selling the Mean Streak in the UK in '08 I think may be earlier. Brings us back to discussions about "niche", they often get ignored.
In Sweden -07 was the last year because of new environmental policies that the MS engine didn't match up to.

I believe the entire EU would have the same policies.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big hefty underpowered touring cruiser with a windshield, luggage stuff, and a comfy back seat for yer ol' lady what?

Oh, hai Kawasaki. Welcome to bland.

GIMME SPORT, DAG NAB IT!!!!!! Yes. Dag. Nab. It.

I don't know where you get the underpowered from. My Voyager puts out over 100 ft-lbs of torque. It can haul me, my wife and a cargo trailer of HER stuff in total comfort.

Let's face it. No V-twin cruiser is going to compete with other genres of motorcycles. The only way it would is if the Japanese stop trying to be Harley and get rid of the single pin crank and build a motor that has torque and HP. There are twins in sport bikes that kick butt.

My 1985 Shadow 700 probably had more go than today's 1600 cruiser.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't know where you get the underpowered from.
I'm guessing he reffered to the new, according to my source, voyager like bike. It's however not known what size it will come with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe this is the wrong thread, but ,,,,the 900 Custom has an open loop fuel system, and the MS has a closed loop system, is that correct? If you make air cleaner / exhaust changes on a 900, does it correct itself, of do you need to re-map something? Open loop system would seem to make more sense, if it adjusts itself. Or am I being too simplistic?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Need to put the ZX14 engine in a cruiser frame, like the Yamaha VMax does with their V4. The VMax is too upright for me, but kicks ***, ~ 200HP.

Jon

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe this is the wrong thread, but ,,,,the 900 Custom has an open loop fuel system, and the MS has a closed loop system, is that correct? If you make air cleaner / exhaust changes on a 900, does it correct itself, of do you need to re-map something? Open loop system would seem to make more sense, if it adjusts itself. Or am I being too simplistic?
I would think a closed loop system would adjust itself. An open loop system means that there is no feedback so the CPU won't know that something has changed. For the bikes to be closed loop there would have to be sensors at the intake and the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know where you get the underpowered from. My Voyager puts out over 100 ft-lbs of torque. It can haul me, my wife and a cargo trailer of HER stuff in total comfort.
No qualms there, bud! What I'm saying is that I think what Kawa needs to come out with is an outright powercruiser to compete in the segment. The Voyager might be a big boy in the power department, but it's also a big bike comparable to Goldwings and Baggers and such. The V2K has the power, but it's also a huge bike. What they need is to milk power out of the engine and slam it into a medium to medium-large frame (like the Meanie) and make a sporty cruiser out of it. The VTX 1800, Warrior, Raider, some of the BA Triumphs nowadays, and V-rod all whomp the Meanie in a stock comparo. Handling and braking aside, it does lack the power of those bikes and in the eyes of the general public, doesn't compete with them. I don't think Kawa should do something as radical as the Vmax, but something in the true power segment would be a good addition to the fleet.

In other words, they need to make a new Meanie.
:soap::silly:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts